Nintendo Announces "NX" Next-Gen System

ShadowCaptain

The thing about new platforms is that about a year or so before release developers start to work on new titles for that new platform. Which often includes moving titles to the newer platform. Particularly in the case of Nintendo where they are the main developer for their system. For example with the Wii -> Wii U period, the Wii got Galaxy 2, DKCR, Sin & Punishment and Kirby in 2010, Zelda in 2011 and Xenoblade in 2012. There was almost nothing to get for the thing just before the Wii U launch because games like Pikmin, Donkey Kong were being moved to the Wii U. The same thing happened with the transition from DS to 3DS and, although a little bit more graceful, the 360/PS3.

When I look at the Wii U's immediate lineup I just don't see how they can be pushing games out to the next generation. We got that Kirby game recently, Yoshi is not long away and neither is Splatoon. Then there's Xenoblade, Starfox and Zelda later in the year. Not to mention some of the weird ideas they've been teasing. Mean while on the 3DS there's a port of Xenoblade and Code Name Steam in the next few months and Fire Emblem later in the year. Presumably another Pokemon at some point.... that's quite literally all there is. 

My guess is that unless they announce a bucket-load of 3DS titles at E3 the 3DS is being replaced by a true successor. Like it or not the Wii U will probably be around for a while yet.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

If they come out with a new console in the next ~6 months I know someone whos gonna be angry because he/she just bought a Wii U 2 weeks ago lol

They said we wont have any news until next year so I suspect about 2 years to go

Besides who cares of your console is obsolete, I still love PS1 games :D I still buy games for it

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Also the TL;DR version of their messaging today has been:

"We're going to putting some of our IP on mobile but we still firmly believe there's space for a more premium level of software on dedicated hardware"

So is it......

A. We're also announcing that we're working on hardware (that will replace the Wii U because despite what we said we think portables are dead)

B. We're also announcing that we're working on hardware (that will replace the 3DS so that our portable is capable of software people will pay more for)

Better blow me away Nintendo. :P

Love you, your games and all. But imma need something more than plasticine Kirby.

That new Zelda game looks great though...

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

Anyone expecting better than PS4 is probably seeing themselves up for disappointment, Nintendo will have to compete on price to make up ground when they arrive this late to the 8th generation. I'm expecting something between ps4 and x1 hardware

But importantly Nintendo needs to be able to bring in the third party so they are actually seen as a full console and not just a side console for playing Mario, the wii u at launch saw a lot of third party, but that fell off once the 8th gen launched

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

Anyone expecting better than PS4 is probably seeing themselves up for disappointment, Nintendo will have to compete on price to make up ground when they arrive this late to the 8th generation. I'm expecting something between ps4 and x1 hardware

But importantly Nintendo needs to be able to bring in the third party so they are actually seen as a full console and not just a side console for playing Mario, the wii u at launch saw a lot of third party, but that fell off once the 8th gen launched

Exactly, the Wii U is great for nintendo games but lacks power for third parties

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

The fact that they teased a new dedicated gaming hardware at the same announcement of a partnership with a company that focuses on mobile gaming tells me that they're talking about the next generation of the DS.

They'll announce that next year, and then rumors will start to fly about another console, hopefully that integrates fully with the portable. Nintendo has a great opportunity to create the best gaming console ecosystem, but they're too focused on creating peripherals.

Wii U is the 8th gen, NX will be 9th gen, soooooo. But well it will mostly compete with PS4 and Xbone since when those get out their 9th gen console 3 years later NX is already starting to get old

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

Wii U is the 8th gen, NX will be 9th gen, soooooo. But well it will mostly compete with PS4 and Xbone since when those get out their 9th gen console 3 years later NX is already starting to get old

While you are right I think it's simpler and makes more sense to call or by what it competes with

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

While you are right I think it's simpler and makes more sense to call or by what it competes with

It's a bit to early to say that it competes with Xbone and PS4. It could end up with features that are just beyond those two.

But I see your point. Still, a generation is a generation, even if they start to overlap a bit because one side of the family reproduces faster than the rest : D

Ryzen 7 5800X     Corsair H115i Platinum     ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)     G.Skill Trident Z 3600CL16 (@3800MHzCL16 and other tweaked timings)     

MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio    Corsair HX850     WD Black SN850 1TB     Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB     Samsung 840 EVO 500GB     Acer XB271HU 27" 1440p 165hz G-Sync     ASUS ProArt PA278QV     LG C8 55"     Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X Glass     Logitech G915      Logitech MX Vertical      Steelseries Arctis 7 Wireless 2019      Windows 10 Pro x64

1. They didn't say it was a Wii U successor and the numbers are on the side of it being a new portable. If they're going to be "talking about it more" next year then it's not going to release until presumably some time after that. At which point it will be at least five years since the 3DS' launch. Given they gave the GBA about four years and the DS around six years? I think it's time. The nail in the coffin is the fact that the 3DS basically has no new interesting content on the horizon and the Wii U's year is packed full of content. I mean the 3DS has 128MB of RAM and 240p screens FFS. I love the thing but it's a relic!

2. If they're good then what's the issue? http://www.metacritic.com/feature/game-publisher-rankings-for-2014-releases

And they don't create interesting new ideas and IP? What rock have you been living under?

do you think "splatoon" is going to be a worthwhile sucessfull series like the legend of zelda series etc? i think not.

do you think "splatoon" is going to be a worthwhile sucessfull series like the legend of zelda series etc? i think not.

Why not?

Problem is nintendo's constant rehash of old IP.

Can we get something good once in a while that has nothing to do with Mario, Link, or Samus?

It's funny how people fail to realize Nintendo's made quite a few new IP's for the 3DS and Wii U and just focus on Mario and Zelda.

N in NX stands for Nintendo (duh), While X stands for titan X, Yes Nintendo is making gaming PC obviously. :P

N in NX stands for Nintendo (duh), While X stands for titan X, Yes Nintendo is making gaming PC obviously. :P

nice meme

It's funny how people fail to realize Nintendo's made quite a few new IP's for the 3DS and Wii U and just focus on Mario and Zelda.

It's funny how you had to bring up 3DS(obviously a handheld) to add to the numbers when it's irrelevant.

So Wii U, what "new IP" can you find that is released that is any good?  StarFox isn't new, btw.

http://kotaku.com/the-12-best-games-for-the-wii-u-5971060

3/12(because 10 is too short and can't find 15) games worth mentioning.

One of them is "little inferno"...(not exclusive, not even a worthwhile game to many people)

One of them is ZombiiU, which is third party.

I don't know if I can call what Platinum Games makes as Nintendo.

So, Nintendo made...zero...new IP that is worth mentioning.

Am I missing a few games too cool for Kotaku?

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Why not?

Because a good part of why those other franchises are successful is precisely because they're long and established titles. People that like Nintendo don't like them to take too many risks after all, and Nintendo themselves do not seem like the kind of company that would take a big financial leap of faith on establishing a new franchise on a new platform and investing heavily on it.

I could be wrong of course, but doubt it.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Please don't become atari, please don't become atari, please don't become atari, please don't become atari, please don't become atari.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Mario Maker is a new IP

Splatoon is a new IP

New ideas also include Project Guard and Project Giant Robot., both are just demoes though.

The big reason you don't see new IP's all the time is because some concepts is designed from the ground-up with having no ties to previous series or characters. Based on feedback and the prototypes potential it is then assigned to the series best suited for it. For example you've designed a space sim prototype, use Star Fox. You've made a game that look like yarn, for that example it become Kirbys Epic Yarn which actually didn't start as a Kirby title at all. Once you understand the approach that is taken you can very much understand why there is often a lack of new faces, its simple because Nintendo franchises are well established and cover a wide range of genres so when a new idea comes along its usually absorbed into another existing franchise.

Now on to Splatoon which is an original IP made by Nintendo. Very early in the planning stages there was talks to have it be a Mario title, the advantages to that are clear: Mario = sales = money. But they wanted Splatoon to be a new IP and thus a new IP was born and Nintendo can enter the FPS genre with a bang (or splat since you know.... you shoot paint...)

Personally I'm looking forward to Splatoon, it looks like something I have never played before and it does look very fun.

Project Tank

CPU: Intel i5 4670k :: Motherboard: Asus Z87 Pro :: RAM: 2x4GB Patroit 1866Mhz Intel Extreme Masters Edition :: GPU: Gigabyte AMD Radeon R9 280X :: Case: Fractal Design Define R2 XL :: Storage: 1TB Western Digital Black,3TB Western Digital Green, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD :: PSU: XFX Pro Series Black Edition 850W :: Display(s): LG 23EA63V :: Cooling: Corsair H100i Liquid Cooler.

It's funny how you had to bring up 3DS(obviously a handheld) to add to the numbers when it's irrelevant.

So Wii U, what "new IP" can you find that is released that is any good?  StarFox isn't new, btw.

http://kotaku.com/the-12-best-games-for-the-wii-u-5971060

3/12(because 10 is too short and can't find 15) games worth mentioning.

One of them is "little inferno"...(not exclusive, not even a worthwhile game to many people)

One of them is ZombiiU, which is third party.

I don't know if I can call what Platinum Games makes as Nintendo.

So, Nintendo made...zero...new IP that is worth mentioning.

Am I missing a few games too cool for Kotaku?

What do you mean "had to bring up"? The guy I replied to wasn't talking about the Wii U exclusively.

And there is Splatoon, Mario Maker, Project Guard, Project Giant Robot, and W101 counts as a Nintendo IP I'm pretty sure as it's Nintendo funded. Also Xenoblade Chronicles and Woolly World might count too but eh. Why would I think Star Fox is new though?

And why are you using Kotaku to judge games worth mentioning? they're the same people defending crap like The Order 1886 and Pokemon Shuffle.

they are going the wrong direction

they think because the wii U has weak hardware its the reason that it sold bad

not the fact that a few years in we only got HD remakes and a few good titles

really really bad move

really really bad move

That's exactly the reason it's not doing so well. Third party support for the hardware is nonexistent.

few things bother me here:

1. nintendo insisting on creating hardware and not focusing on the reason why people like them at the first place: the 1st party games.

2. why nintendo isnt coming up with new games which arent complete gimmicks. its not that i dislike mario kart or think that the new smash games arent good..i think that since they created revolutionary games back in the nes area (mario,metroid etc etc) they didnt create anything new tbh...

The third party game sale is what gives Nintendo the money and backing from the investors to make new IPs.

Look at it like this. Nintendo has poor third party sales. The board members see this and think that non-first party established ideas don't sell. We already know that everyone in every level command has to approve a new project before it gets made. The board members and other members won't approve a risky new IP because sales are showing them new ideas don't sell on the platform. If Nintendo could get solid third party support it would show the people at Nintendo that new ideas can drive sales.

There will always be a place for a new Mario or Pokemon game. But we need something like Call of Duty to sell on a Nintendo platform in order to get more new ideas like that ink based shooter(can't remember the name).

Also, gib new Colosseum plox

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

What do you mean "had to bring up"? The guy I replied to wasn't talking about the Wii U exclusively.

And there is Splatoon, Mario Maker, Project Guard, Project Giant Robot, and W101 counts as a Nintendo IP I'm pretty sure as it's Nintendo funded. Also Xenoblade Chronicles and Woolly World might count too but eh. Why would I think Star Fox is new though?

And why are you using Kotaku to judge games worth mentioning? they're the same people defending crap like The Order 1886 and Pokemon Shuffle.

You replied to me; I was posting about this new console, which I assume isn't a handheld.

Kotaku is console-biased, obviously.

That makes them usable for judging console; because they will try to pull out as many "good" games as possible even if they are not any good.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

really really bad move

really really bad move

It kinda is the reason it sold bad.... The reason that no 3rd party games came to it is because of the crappy hardware and lack of good controller. If they release a new console it will get rid of the stigma around the Wii and ppossible save nintendo's console buisness

So basically the crazy ideas they pour into Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc don't count because "they're the same game". Even if it's a brand new concept if Mario is on the box it's just another Mario game. And then even when they do create new IP it doesn't count unless it's both for gamers and you can call it a success. And if it does become successful It'll spawn sequels and all of a sudden it won't count again.

I mean lets be serious here, this isn't just a Nintendo thing. Have you even looked at the list of big titles scheduled for release this year? I mean you can mock Splatoon if you want but it's only one of a handful of big titles across the board that doesn't have a number stitched onto the right hand side. Even rarer, it's being a new IP AND experimenting with an interesting style and mechanic. And all you can do is whine presumably while hovering your finger over the pre-order button for GTA and Batman.

I mean I LOVE PC gaming and I'm looking forward to the next Batman as much as you probably are. But this is why we don't get new IP. When someone creates something interesting everyone just turns their nose up. When it's the same thing again but with a different location? We bust through the doors, even when it's buggy as shit like Unity was. Don't blame Nintendo for doing the same and certainly don't point and mock when they do precisely what you claim they should be doing.