Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

so i bought a shitty computer on black Friday and it had a harddrive in there that had windows 8 on it. but surpricely enough the laptop didn't come with a product key. so i put the hardrive into my custom computer because who has the money for buying windows ;P. a couple of months went by and i upgraded my windows 8 to 8.1 preview thinking it was the real 8.1. turns out it wasnt... so i tried making my windows to the real 8.1 aaaaaaand it didnt let me. i called up microsoft and they said they could not do anything about it. (fuk microsoft...) so now im stuck in between windows 8 and 8.1. some games that i buy don't even work so its always a gamble for it to work or not.   

While changing changing my CPU cooler, I wanted to remove ALL the thermal paste that was left on my intel CPU, so I took it out of the socket, cleaned it nicely... But then, when I went to put it back in, I went in too fast, at an angle, and ended up screwing the CPU into the socket pins. So there went my $250 motherboard. I just don't know what was going on in my head when I was doing that, I just know that I felt like crying afterward. I hate these "new" sockets from Intel... way too easy to break. At least the AMD CPUs, if a pin break, you can just put it in the socket and it may still work... (Like what Linus showed/did before)

CPU was still working fine, still using it today in a much cheaper motherboard($75), zero difference in performances.. I will not make the mistake of buying an expensive motherboard again when the cheaper ones do the exact same thing, minus a few extra thing I don't even need anyway. (like extra 16 PCI-e slots)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Running a Core i7-3770K without the heatsink, causing a $330 mistake. GODDAMNIT. WHAT. THE. FUDGE.

WTF was I thinking? Could it be just human error? Geez, I destroyed the CPU and the motherboard (rammed the CPU into the socket, bending all the pins). Remind me to always check to see if everything essential is  assembled. #@#$@ please.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I tried to overclock my old notebock for the first time and all go wrong when I put the clock of a dual core to 6GHz

WTF?? 6GHZ?????!!!!!!!! R U INSANE??? ESPECIALLY ON AN OLD NOTEBOOK?? GEEZ MAN!

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Tea and computers don't mix. :angry:

I love tea...don;t even go their man (just had 2 cups)

Friends with full glasses of lemonade and a 5 year old, all near a laptop don;t mix either. That computer still runs, it being over a decade old.

To love is to risk not being loved in return. To hope is to risk pain. To try is to risk failure, but risk must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.

Cleaning my beloved computer (Pentium 4).

A.k.a cleaning/inspecting my computer and discovering some mysterious white goop that was on my processor that i immediately cleaned off. Good thing i did that or else my processor would overheat and die one week later. Oh wait it did and i'm an idiot for wiping off thermal paste thinking it was some sort of corrosion.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

not backing up anything... hard drives are so expensive though:(

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Tried playing Crysis on high settings @ 1360X768 on core2duo G41 chipset  iGPU in my early nOOb days! 

FX 6300 @ 4.2 Gigahurtz 1.325V ,  ASRock 970 Extreme 4 mobo  ,  Kingston Hyperx Blu 2X4GB @1600Mhz  , Asus GTX 960 DCU ii Black OC  , Hyper 212 Evo , Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB , WD 1 TB caviar Green , Xonar DG sound card , Seasonic M12ii Evo 620W PSU , Corsair 200R case ,4 random case fans.

trying to open up a game which never existed in my system 

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Mine has to be tinkering about with my bios and accidentally saving over my overclock profile!! What a doosher!

oh yeah and playing at 1080p and not realising that the screen I was using was 720p lol. bye bye graphics card!

I was showing off too, I was like "yeah look, duke nukems running at like 5'000'000'000 frames a second"..............................power off!

how is it posible to play at 1080P if screen is 720P ? its just cant it would just downscale in worst case and how can this damage your GPU?

Needs Update

Deleting system 32 on windows and not being able to fix it.

its not posible system32 is a Systems folder and you need to use CMD to to remove it .not even Administrator can remove it.

Needs Update

Reformatting a 500GB hard drive so many times it actually now only reads as a 132GB hard drive - this was back when I was stupidly naïve and didn't know that using torrents and P2P services to download stuff also means risking downloading viruses. I also managed to download a virus once that wiped ALL the information from the board that is attached to the hard drive, so the hard drive pretty much "forgot" it was a hard drive and my computer no longer recognized it. I lost soooo much work during that 'event' I actually had to close my small web design business for good.

again not sure that a virus can do that >>.

Needs Update

tried reading though this "Fixing Peoples post" then seeing the Page number lol

Needs Update

Mine was getting thermal paste in a mobo socket.....then not realizing it was in there and bending a pin on my 8350, though i did manage to fix it :P

Arc Midi R2 | ASUS M5A97r2.0 | AMD FX-8350 | EVGA GTX 780 FTW Edition | Corsair Vengeance 8gb | Corsair RM650w Gold | H100i Cooler | 128gb Samsung SSD | 2tb Seagate Barracuda | 3tb Seagate External

Peripherals: 23" Samsung SyncMaster2333 | Acer 27" 1080p | Corsair Vengenance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Logitech G602 | Razer Megalodon Headset | Vespula Gaming Pad

Letting my younger cousin borrow my PC. Took a while to clean up the mess.

CPUIntel Core I5-3570k @4.2Ghz |  CoolerBeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MOBOMsi Z77 Mpower | GPUSapphire HD7970 Dual-X 3GB RAMCorsair Vengeance Low Profile 1600mhz (2x8GB) | HDD Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB & HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB | PSU: BeQuiet! PurePower L8 630w | Case: Corsair C70 Military Green | Display: BenQ GL2450HM 24" KeyboardCM Storm QuickFire Ultimate Keyboard (Browns) | MouseR.A.T 7 | Mouse padSteelseries QcK Mass | Headset: Plantronics Gamecom 780 | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate | Picture of setuphttp://i.imgur.com/o8jKsQJ.jpg (OLD)

Either removing system files semi-accidentally from an ancient Windows 3.11 laptop, which I didn't have an installation disk for, or cleaning a video card with a cleaning duster (please just don't ask me why I did that...)

I make no mistakes, I am made for operating computers...

I make no mistakes, I am made for operating computers...

Then you are doing it wrong. You learn by making mistakes.

As far as my worst mistakes over 20 years of computing I would probably say getting caught war dialing back when dial-up had just started. Since I was a minor at the time it was expunged from my record. In more recent years I would have to say the time I replaced some caps on a board and had them reversed. Snap, crackle, pop and the magic smoke later and I had a dead board.

Also managed to rewire a PSU wrong and blow the caps in it. Didn't damage any of my connected components though.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

Forgetting about mobo spacers (only mistake :D)

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Forgetting about mobo spacers (only mistake :D)

how long have you been using a computer for? I hardly think you have made only 1 mistake your whole life regarding a computer lol.

CPU: i7-3930K @ 4.8GHz MOBO: IV Gene RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 1866MHz GPU: GTX 780 Ti CASE: Corsair 350D STORAGE: 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 GB, 2x WD Red 4TB
PSU
: EVGA SuperNova 650W DISPLAY: 1 x ASUS VG248QE, 3 x Dell U2414H COOLING: Corsair H100i INPUT: Corsair Vengeance K70, SteelSeries Sensei AUDIO: Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, ATH-M50s, Beredynamic DT770 Pro, Steelseries H Wireless

i bricked my computer by downloading and running something with a trojan virus when i was younger, the pc guy told us the system was shorted out  so he kept the pc.. he probably sold the parts after taking it .. so first mistake, getting virus, second mistake being scammed, i think i also managed to fully reset and delete everything on a computer when i was a small child, back when i was afraid to open the web browser because it was so expensive ..  though im not even sure if that's what i actually did or if they were just messing with me to make me feel bad, which i did .. oh so much, i still kinda do :P

how long have you been using a computer for? I hardly think you have made only 1 mistake your whole life regarding a computer lol.

Well I cant think of anything else. Feel free to correct me if you think you know more about me than I do.

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat