Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Biggest mistake I've ever made was I used to think my mum's vibrators were electric toothbrushes without a brush and so I would tape a broom head to them and brush my teeth with it.

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww and LMAO!!!!

Linus is my fetish.

I flicked the voltage changer switch on the back of the PSU while it was running, the CPU didn't like that very much.....  :blush:

When I first built my rig, I went with a Raidmax Viper GX which was recently switched out for a Corsair 450D. Other than that, none of the colors of my build matched, has been changed since.

Don't trust me with sharp things.

Sometime in late 2001 or early 2002 I had been reading a lot about TEC cooling and decided to give it a go.

I had just bought a shiny new radeon 8500.. and decided that was going to get the cooling.

Unfortunately I hadn't read up enough on insulating or preventing condensation.

My new expensive(for a high school student with a part time job) radeon ran at -2 degrees C for a little while, and then quit.  Forever.

my work in progress

i5 6600k  //  16gb g.skill ddr4 3000  //  evga gtx 980

custom water loop

I bought a pair of crucial ballistix tracer ram sticks. Not only does my pc have no window, it looks so garish.

Edit: also people don't even want to buy them if I list them.

Biggest mistake I've ever made was I used to think my mum's vibrators were electric toothbrushes without a brush and so I would tape a broom head to them and brush my teeth with it.

Whenever I saw "finger massagers" in my mom's catalogs, I always thought they were actual massagers.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

Whenever I saw "finger massagers" in my mom's catalogs, I always thought they were actual massagers.

Did you ever dip into her "massager" collection and try them out?

Did you ever dip into her "massager" collection and try them out?

I thankfully haven't found that yet. I have, however, found the lube stash.

QUOTE when replying to others / Quality over Quantity in your posts / Avoid ambiguous topic titles

Desktop: "Shockwave" Core i7-5820K / GTX 970 SSC / ASUS X99 Deluxe / 16GB DDR4 / 120GB Samsung 850 EVO / 2TB WD Black Caviar
Laptop:  "Archippos"  Dell XPS 15:  Core i7-7700HQ  /  GTX 1050  /  16GB DDR4  /  512GB NVMe PCI-E SSD

Buying a prebuilt PC from Centrecom.

Paul Jennings is my spirit animal.

I built a new system because the old one was too loud. All I kept was CPU, RAM & HDDs ... now the new system is as noisy as the old one :D

Step 1: Come home drunk

Step 2: Fetch a pint of water to rehydrate

Step 3: Trip over fresh air, sending aforementioned pint of water tumbling through the air, landing on top of my (running) gaming PC on the floor

Step 4: Dive for the power cable and watch in wide eyed horror as a stream of water runs over my Hyper 212 Evo on to my GPU and motherboard

Step 5: Spend a week as a nervous wreck while my system airs out beside a window

As it turns out the only thing damaged was the PCIe WiFi card somehow. And my heart.

Almost as cool as my temps  

getting a spec 03 case , and a cx psu . Prices are fucked up here.

The spec 03 looks pretty tho. How much was your 03?

~~~SnapDragon~~~

| CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X @ PBO & -0.06v offset | CPU Cooler: Scythe Ninja 5 |RAM: 32GB G.Skill Flare X 3200MHz @ 3600MHz 1.45V| Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite  | Storage: Crucial MX300 500GB + Western Digital Blue M.2 250GB + Seagate Barracuda 2TB + Western Digital 1TB Blue | Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix RTX 2070 Super Advanced 8G | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: Superflower Leadex Silver 650W |

Buying a Skylake system to put inside my old case. Due to the x16 slot being one notch below the first (as there's a x1 slot for, say, a wifi card), the Windforce card hit the non-removable drive cages, thus forcing me to use the iGPU of a 6600k and leave my 970 stored in a closet for 2 weeks until a new case arrived.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

killing the gpus ive killed , see bellow in my sig

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

I bought a pair of crucial ballistix tracer ram sticks. Not only does my pc have no window, it looks so garish.

Edit: also people don't even want to buy them if I list them.

Main problem with that ram was despite the flashy lights, the specs were so basic. 

Linus is my fetish.

I bought a mac

Oh, I bought an I Pod mini because everyone else had one and they looked pretty and cool.

First and final Apple purchase, I felt like such a tool.

Linus is my fetish.

dcb-z, on 25 Jan 2016 - 1:35 PM, said:

I thankfully haven't found that yet. I have, however, found the lube stash.

Quite unfortunate that you haven't found her toys.

The guy who flipped that red switch on a dying supply. Switched the pc on and pop went the weasal lol

I've done the same before. Was trying to use an old PSU to test a brushless motor and speedo, but didn't realise the green wire needs to connect to ground (on the 24 pin motherboard plug) for the PSU to supply power. Flicked the red switch without thinking and "pop" went the weasel.

i7-7700 | Asrock H270M-ITX | Fractal Design Core 500 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX | EVGA GTX 1080 Ti | 850 EVO 500GB | 850 EVO 250GB | WD CavGreen 2TB

EVGA SuperNOVA 550W | Steel Series Elite Prism | Final mouse 2015 | WASD Keyboards V2 (MX Blue) | Acer Predator 1440p 144Hz

Letting a adware virus get on my pc, and its still there i think even though i scanned. And also not disabling google sync to prevent it infecting my second pc but its too late for that now xD. Oh and most of all, i regret not backing up my second pc at all, and not having a backup newer than 5 months old for my first pc. So its either remove the infection (spent 2 and a half days so far with no luck) or bye bye data unless i can pull it off xD

R5 5600   Asus ROG Strix RTX2060   B550  Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR4   Kingston A2000 1TB M.2    Kingston UV400 SSD   NZXT H510 Flow

Letting a adware virus get on my pc, and its still there i think even though i scanned.

Try googling (use anything related to the "virus") for specific removal instructions .  Quite often a scan(by some specific scanner) will not 'see' and so will not remove a specific virus .

Googling this problem will often lead to specific instructions (usually involving booting in to safe mode and doing some registry editing) on how to remove said virus.

Most technicians do not know how to solve every problem but they will know how to google the solution .

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

The spec 03 looks pretty tho. How much was your 03?

70 euros. Thats why im salty. Cable management is horrible.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

I had a open bottle of water on my desk. Knocked it off and it landed right on my then 200r, which as some of you may be aware, has an opening on the top. The little amount of water went on my gtx 660 and ruined it. Of course I was mid raid in WoW with my then GF. :P 

01101100 01110110 01101100 00100000 00110101 00100000 01101101 01100001 01100111 01101001 01101011 01100001 01110010 01110000 

Fortunately I have my Carbide Air on my desk as it has an open top too. For the life of using a PC, I've always had a cup of water on my table and never had any accidents ....

Until the one time the cup spilled and went all over my Corsair K70 and mouse. Fortunately they survived, and there was nothing on the floor that the water could damage.

Linus is my fetish.