Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

notice google.com Im english not american also i now have 780ti sli ,

fhijh.jpg

5820k@3.8GHz| Corsair H100i |Gigabyte x99 SLI | Corsair 16GB | EVGA 780Ti SC ACX SLI x2 |240GB SSD120GB SSD 512GB SSD 2TB HDD | 3x ASUS VN247H 24" ( nVidia Surround)

Non-modular PSU, and an Aerocool case. 

Never again. 

Edit:

I also have even more cable clutter because I have PSU extensions (not a new set, because no modularity), and on top of that, I got a H440 just recently with the extensions, and the room on the right side panel is horrid. 

Cable management legitimately took two and a half hours. 

ALL THESE BLOODY CABLES. 

I know your feel... The 24pin of my FSP Hexa 600 is too short for my Aerocool VS3 Advance case... so I routed the cable using twist ties and the eATX mounting holes...

the 4pin is also a pain to route because of my heatsink...

The right side panel can handle all my drive power and front panel connectors luckily...

A cheap case. Mind you it is not a bad case (Corsair Spec 01) but I've found that having huge hands, numb fingers and short patience makes for a bad combo: I ended up ruining a brand new hdd when trying to close the back side panel (the sata connector broke off on the drive)

I am getting a new case but I need something with plenty of room this time, though I might just get a test bench style thing, however the 290x it's kind of noisy when it's on the open, not too bad and it's drown out with loudish game sound but still

-------

Current Rig

-------

i bought a gigabyte a87 lmt usb3 motherboard for my fx 8320 and within 2 weeks my system started crashing just as i overclocked....i started getting ram problems and then had to change the motherboard.

also i wish i didnt end up with the fx cpu and gone with an i5 4670k  :P

and also my case is not that good..but i am going to stick with it untill end of this year... :P

i took a few bad decisions in making my first custom PC: 

1) Bought a Core2Duo in the age of 3rd gen i7

Reading that took be back to my beginner days. I have a Core2Duo E7200 @ 2.53Ghz clocked to 4.752Ghz... That CPU was silicon lottery Gold I tell ya. I have it sitting right next to me still working but no longer being used.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I know your feel... The 24pin of my FSP Hexa 600 is too short for my Aerocool VS3 Advance case... so I routed the cable using twist ties and the eATX mounting holes...

the 4pin is also a pain to route because of my heatsink...

The right side panel can handle all my drive power and front panel connectors luckily...

I had my 8 Pin connector just going right past my GPU because the cuttouts were crap and the CPU power cable was ever so slightly short. 

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

Didn't manage my fan cables too well, unplugged my rad fan putting the case sides back (CM Elite 130) on and stared for hours at high temps.

Nothing really.

If anything, I'd like a better case and I wish I went for a WD Green (Blue is audible inside case)

I spilled Paint thiner over my cpu and mobo... Still working fine tho :D

Core2 Quad Q9400 @ 3.00GHz ✦  8GB Corsair RAM ✦Asus P5G41Tm - Lx3 ✦ Sapphire R9 270 Dual-X ✦ WD Caviar Green 640 GB ✦ Seagate Barracuda 160GB ✦ Fractal Design Define R5 ✦ 1Life ps:jet 700W ✦  

Lenovo Y520 - GTX1050Ti - i77700k - 250GB Samsung M.2 NVME SSD  :D 

notice google.com Im english not american also i now have 780ti sli ,

fhijh.jpg

first of all, i am jealous all i have is an 860m which is equal to a 750 ti

Second of all, i just googled 780 ti and clicked shopping and a bunch came up

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

I spread the thermal paste out when I put it on, instead of actually doing a small dab in the middle. It leaked out and got all over my motherboard and down into the pins.

"So I can just put anything here and they'll print it?"

Getting an amd fx6300 and an amd gpu. Horrible software for amd gpus

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700k
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Crucial P1 1tb M.2 NVME BOOT DRIVE
Video Card: MSI RTX 2070 Super
Case: NZXT - H500 (White) 
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold 

Got a mini ITX system for my main system.

Bought a BitFenix Prodigy case for it.

Not a bad system or case but I just didnt like it.

Just replaced the case with a Silverstone TJ08-E case and im about to replace the motherboard cpu and video card for a matx motherboard and i7 processor.

In the past:

- Gave away or sold all of my previous cases (Antec P182, Antec Super Lanboy, Silverstone TJ06)

- Bricked a motherboard with a bad bios flash (P166mmx and Athlon XP boards)

- Threw out or lost all my old consoles.

Spent more on my case than GPU. (My first build)

Bitfenix Prodigy M $170

Paired it with a 750 Ti $150

What a worthless case, and WAY overpriced. It fought you all the way through the build.

Learned my lesson and enjoy my H440 with the following specs in signature.

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

Not doing any cable management on a side panel case. I regret it now and forever.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

Not doing any cable management on a side panel case. I regret it now and forever.

Are you not bothered to manage your cables now?

Anyway, I cheaped out somewhat on my PSU, picked up a Cougar 850W bronze hoping to go crossfire but I haven't. I swear it's currently the loudest part of my build...

System: Corsair 500R | i7 4770k | Coolermaster 212 Evo | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz | Windforce R9 290 | Evo 840 250GB | Barracuda 2TB | Barracuda 3TB | Dell U2410 LG 23EA63V 

Ok i did something recently that i am not proud of at all. me and my friends were building a bunch of pc's together, it had been a long day, we did a LOT of trouble shooting and we were all tired. after getting my computer to finally boot up on my new mobo with just the mobo power plugged in. I started reconnecting things and turning on the computer for each one to make sure it was all working until the last connection came up... and in my sheer bleary exhaustion i plugged in the last connection with the power on. the whole thing sparked and shut off, i- LOST IT.

and then through some divine forgiveness; it didnt damage the motherboard. 

so thats my story

I didn't look too closely at the motherboard I bought, turns out it doesn't support SLI. Not the biggest issue since I was only planning to SLI as an upgrade later, but it leaves me needing to decide between a mobo+CPU upgrade to fit a second 760, or going for a more powerful single card and maybe being able to wait on a CPU upgrade. Either one is probably a significant distance down the road though.

I got a message loud and clear when i didn't care about PSU's price tag's. I bought ones a cheap chieftech PSU' and when i hooked my rig to the wall. It was smoke'n hot after that and i burn also fuse. So now day's i put a an extra effort to PSU's. 

Also before when i wasn't such a pro to installing rig's i wreck it one of my CPU's. Because i was press it wrongly to the mobo. 

Failure is not an option!

Just over a year ago, I dropped my brand new Nvidia 690 GTX. I had saved a couple of months to afford it and then this happend..

I was taking the old GPU out of the case when my shoulder knocked the 690 down from the table and it smashed against my stone floor.

Many feels was in the air after that happened, although I Got the money back on insurance, and bought a new 690 card.

But still I feel really dumb for what I did..  :wacko:  :wacko:  :P

That's why i keep them on the box, until it's time to put it on the case. 

Failure is not an option!

forgot to put on the cpu mounting backplate, screwed the cooler directly into the mobo

Currently spending money on parts