Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Replacing a mainboard and leaving a freaking screw that fried the new mainboard, that's how you learn the hard way :P

Took off the CPU heatsink in order to clean dust, CPU came out of the socket with the cooler.

buying a prebuild last year.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Having my power supply's air intake blocked by a carpet got my idle temps up to 100C. 0/10 would not recommend

Also, ran this on my laptop for a week on 28 numbers, never got a sorted list. Found out that printing really slows down a program

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogosort

Didn't do enough research on RAM, got single channel instead of dual channel . . . Not really a big deal but still

I wanted to power on my system with a screwdriver and I accidentally short the wrong pins :) Sparks everywhere :D  And now when I want to restart my system it sometimes doesn´t boot back up but stays on... don´t know if that has anything to do with my accident :/ 

Just reformatted my 1tb external usb drive with a fat32 quick thing. Turns out that doesnt work over like 16gb or something. Now I cant access my external harddrive.

Put on my cpu cooler and not noticing that one side of the nuts had rubber pads to shield them from the board. Shorted that board real quick.

Working inside my computer while it was running, was cable managing a wire near the CPU heatsink one mis-judged move and I sliced my thumb

Breaking a CPU by not seating it properly, fuck I was angry..

CPU: i7 5820k @4.5Ghz | Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 Quad Channel | GPU: GTX 970 @ 1579 Mhz | Case: Cooler Master HAF 922 | OS: Windows 10

Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB | PSU: Corsair TX750 | Display: Samsung SyncMaster 2233 & SyncMaster SA350 | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120M

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa | Mouse: Steelseries Kana | Sound: Steelseries Siberia V2

A good number of years ago I thought I was using a 24-pin extender for a motherboard which didn't actually turn out to be what I thought it was.  1 x Pentium 920D (I think), Motherboard, 2GB Ram and some unknown brand PSU fried, all I was trying to do is move my pre-built Packard Bell computer into a proper case.  Gave me an excuse to buy loads of new computer parts... :D

On second thoughts my worst mistake was surely buying a Packard Bell computer from PC World.  In my defence I was niave with regards hardware back then...

Dumping caffeine into distilled water while trying to build a water cooked pc.Worst of all I did it at my part-time job.I almost got fired and on top of that I didn't get my months pay that month

My biggest tech goof was pretty bad. 

I had been preparing to format an old hard drive, and spent several hours transfering data to a different drive. 

I fell asleep in my chair while I was waiting for the transfer to complete. 

Woke up several hours later, started the format and went to bed.

Woke up the next morning, realized that I had formatted my software storage drive, rather than the drive I had intended to wipe. 

That day sucked. 

Core i7-2600k @ 4.65Ghz - Asus Maximus IV Gene Z - 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance LP Cerilian Blue - Samsung EVO 840 250GB - Seagate Barracuda 7200 1TB - 2x EVGA Geforce GTX 760 SC - Corsair AX850, custom sleaved and length - Silverstone Sugo heavily modified - Full loop with EK blocks and 360 rad, frozenq res. 

Not touching a radiator before installing some RAM. Lost a whole 4GB....

ALCATRAZ |   CPU: i9 9900k @ 5GHz, Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A, RAM: Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB, GPU: Gigabyte 1070Ti Case: Zalman MS800 Plus, Storage: Corsair 2TB NVME | Crucial M550 128GB SSD  |  WD 640GB HDD, PSU: XFX Pro Series 1050w, Display: ASUS MG279Q, Cooling: Noctua NH-D15

I haven't screwed up (yet)

but I know a friend who overclocked to 7GHz because he wanted to see if he could check the performance and he thought his i7 (YES AN I7) would reboot the system if it got too hot..

Accidentally formatting a disk filled with someone else's pictures...

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Accidentally formatting a disk filled with someone else's pictures...

"accidently"

"accidently"

It was a complete accident! I put the disk in to my computer then when I tried to load the stuff off of it, it just began formatting itself

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

I was troubleshooting the PC and I inserted a RAM Dimm backwards :blink: . I destroyed one of the two slots on the mobo. The RAM was already dying, so no harm there :)

...How?

• 3 weeks later...

Have you purchased some piece of tech only realize that it was overpriced, performed poorly, had crappy build quality, or was just plain shit?  Post your favorite experiences of indirectly burning cash below.  :P

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

bought a fan controller, the nxzt grid, thought it would be software controlled. I plugged everything in like I should have, and all my fans are running at literally the same speed as they would be on 12v and I cant for the life of me figure it out.

Have you purchased some piece of tech only realize that it was overpriced, performed poorly, had crappy build quality, or was just plain shit?  Post your favorite experiences of indirectly burning cash below.   :P

My iPad 3

"Rawr XD"

My worst purchase was probably a random replacement lightning only to find that it didn't transfer data -_-  No refund or return either....

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)