Dear People with High Sens: You're doing it wrong.

Axypha

For some reason, I'm seeing more and more people with their DPIs over 1,000 on a 1080p display. Now I'm going to be the non-stupid guy and tell you that you're doing it wrong. Now before I continue, first I'm going to give my classification of High, Mid, and Low DPI. A Low DPI is a DPI ranging from 1 to 450. A Medium DPI is a DPI ranging from 500 to 800. A High DPI is anything above 800. 

Before I start, I just want to say that it IS possible to have a good aim with Mid/High DPI. This however, requires a LOT more practice and is extremely hard to do. Only a few players in very high-ranking leagues manage to do this, because they've had enough time to completely get used to it.

Now, why is High DPI/Sens so bad, you ask? The answer is very simple. You have little/less control over your aim, because a little movement will go MORE than a long way. You will overshoot no matter what. There is a point however where you can get used to this and control it, and its usually around 3,000 Hours of playing the certain game. Despite this, lots of people with EXTREMELY high DPIs like around 1500+ will usually never play in professional leagues because it is way too hard to control your aim. 

This brings up the question, 'Won't I undershoot with a low DPI?' It depends on HOW low your DPI is. Generally, you won't undershoot at all with 250+ DPI. Some people say 'OMG I CANT LOOK WITH THIS STUPID DPI WOW LOL LOW DPI LOSER DUMB F***ING C*NT'. The answer to that is very simple. You aren't using your arm. That's the point of Low DPI. You use your arm to look, and your wrist to aim precisely. With High DPI, it's infinitely worse. You use your wrist to look, and you have nothing else left to legitimately aim with. Now, some people can't do this because they'll go off of their mousepad, but you NEED a large mousepad with low DPI. A tenkeyless works great with a Large Mousepad and has a very clear ergonomic improvement

To help prove the fact that you can look with low DPI, there is a video at the bottom,

A Frag video of TLR, the best North American soldier in TF2. He has a DPI of 400 and a In-Game Sens of 4/6

If I were to recommend a specific mousepad, the Puretrak Talent is the unarguable best mousepad on the market right now, because of the speed. Pairing it with low DPI + a light claw grip mouse = Instapro.

This also clarifies the No Mouse Accel = Instant Pro Equation. There are missing factors. Low DPI + No Mouse Accel/Prediction/Angle Snapping + Big Mousepad = Instant Pro

Now please, make the switch over to LOW DPI. For god's sake...

NOTE: Advice meant for FPS Games

Can we get a tl;dr?

CPU: some amd thing Motherboard: its black RAM: its memory thats for sure GPU: r7 260x Case: corsair spec 01 Storage: 1tb of it PSU: 430w, so many watts

Display: its asus Cooling: fans Keyboard: logitech g710+ #browns4lyfe Mouse: its a logitech Sound: its what you hear Operating System: winders  

This might be true for playing competitive shooters where perfect pixel aim matters but in general use using 400-800DPI on a 1080P screen would be pretty damn slow. Personally I find I can play much better using 2000DPI on my Deatheadder in games and in general use.

My Current Build: 

Intel i5 3570K @ 4.4GHz 1.11V, Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, Asrock Z77 Extreme4, Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz, Samsung 840 EVO 250GB, Asus GTX 760 DCII Overclocked, Corsair CX600M

I use what I find comfortable.

For some reason, I'm seeing more and more people with their DPIs over 1,000 on a 1080p display. Now I'm going to be the non-stupid guy and tell you that you're doing it wrong. Now before I continue, first I'm going to give my classification of High, Mid, and Low DPI. A Low DPI is a DPI ranging from 1 to 450. A Medium DPI is a DPI ranging from 500 to 800. A High DPI is anything above 800. 

Before I start, I just want to say that it IS possible to have a good aim with Mid/High DPI. This however, requires a LOT more practice and is extremely hard to do. Only a few players in very high-ranking leagues manage to do this, because they've had enough time to completely get used to it.

Now, why is High DPI/Sens so bad, you ask? The answer is very simple. You have little/less control over your aim, because a little movement will go MORE than a long way. You will overshoot no matter what. There is a point however where you can get used to this and control it, and its usually around 3,000 Hours of playing the certain game. Despite this, lots of people with EXTREMELY high DPIs like around 1500+ will usually never play in professional leagues because it is way too hard to control your aim. 

This brings up the question, 'Won't I undershoot with a low DPI?' It depends on HOW low your DPI is. Generally, you won't undershoot at all with 250+ DPI. Some people say 'OMG I CANT LOOK WITH THIS STUPID DPI WOW LOL LOW DPI LOSER DUMB F***ING C*NT'. The answer to that is very simple. You aren't using your arm. That's the point of Low DPI. You use your arm to look, and your wrist to aim precisely. With High DPI, it's infinitely worse. You use your wrist to look, and you have nothing else left to legitimately aim with. Now, some people can't do this because they'll go off of their mousepad, but you NEED a large mousepad with low DPI. A tenkeyless works great with a Large Mousepad and has a very clear ergonomic improvement

To help prove the fact that you can look with low DPI, there is a video at the bottom,

A Frag video of TLR, the best North American soldier in TF2. He has a DPI of 400 and a In-Game Sens of 4/6

If I were to recommend a specific mousepad, the Puretrak Talent is the unarguable best mousepad on the market right now, because of the speed. Pairing it with low DPI + a light claw grip mouse = Instapro.

This also clarifies the No Mouse Accel = Instant Pro Equation. There are missing factors. Low DPI + No Mouse Accel/Prediction/Angle Snapping + Big Mousepad = Instant Pro

Now please, make the switch over to LOW DPI. For god's sake...

-snip-

Meh, dpi do not worry me as I'm using my 20 something (can't remember the year it was bought-but its old) Microsoft ball mouse, and with the sensitivity at 100% its fine in FPS.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

ahhhh...ahhh... To much reading 5me! But I agree.... I think :|

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

It really comes down to what your prefer.. I like to play MOBA games with mid DPI (1500-2000 DPI) on 1080p and I like to play CS:GO with low DPI (around 500 DPI).

I know people that prefer high DPI and play well with high DPI. Basicaly its just user preference and nothing more. Some people may benefit if they knew this however which is probably a lot of people but I dont think that those people will actualy care.

EDIT:

I remember playing Star Wars Jedi Academy in Multiplayer with 8200 DPI.. why? Because the more DPI you had the more damage you did if you knew what are you doing. How does it makes sense? You wouldnt understand if you never played it :P

That is putting everyone in the same group... some people are more accurate with a mouse than others. I use 4000-5600dpi for games, especially WoW, where I need to know where players are coming from, or turning and moving quick for a boss fight.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

I switch between 800 and 1600 dpi depending on how tired my hands are...

Can we get a tl;dr?

OP said all that to say lower DPI is more accurate. Unless you're good with high DPI, you should stop using high DPI and tone it down.

The DPI setting on your mouse should be the native DPI that the sensor works at, regardless of if it's high/low. Then, use your game's sensitivity settings to adjust. For example, 800 DPI @ 1.0 in-game sensitivity is the same as 400 DPI at 2.0 in-game sensitivity, except if 800 DPI is your mouse's native DPI, your mouse will be more accurate.

My settings are 800 DPI with 1.5 in-game sensitivity in Counter-Strike. I know I'm still high, but it's a work in progress. I used to be much higher.

I'm on 4925 dpi currently. Correcting for resolution, that would be about the equivalent to 2462 on a 1080p display

The DPI setting on your mouse should be the native DPI that the sensor works at, regardless of if it's high/low. Then, use your game's sensitivity settings to adjust. For example, 800 DPI @ 1.0 in-game sensitivity is the same as 400DPI at 2.0 in-game sensitivity, except if 800 DPI is your mouse's native DPI, your mouse will be more accurate.

My settings are 800 DPI with 1.5 in-game sensitivity in Counter-Strike. I know I'm still high, but it's a work in progress. I used to be much higher.

It also has to be comfortable within Windows.

It also has to be comfortable within Windows.

Ah, 600 DPI was what I was used to, so 800 DPI is no problem. I did some testing to see if 1600 DPI or 2000 DPI were better in-game (1600 DPI, .75 in-game to keep overall sensitivity the same), and I found 800 DPI to have the best tracking, although only marginally. I would just change my mouse's DPI using two mice buttons when I was in-game versus out-of-game and it was no problem.

high? at what res are you playing. that would equate to about 200º of movement on a QcK (with my settings) which means constantly picking up the mouse. rank?

I use 2500dpi with 1.3 in cs go (3840x2160 though ... lol)

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

2.5k DPI on 1080p, 4.75 in game sensitivity + raw input. Still outfrag most players in CSGO on a MG rank and just under 40% headshot rate. Dunno how there's a problem with that.

Side note: 660 hours in game.

2.5k DPI on 1080p, 4.75 in game sensitivity + raw input. Still outfrag most players in CSGO on a MG rank and just under 40% headshot rate. Dunno how there's a problem with that.

Go pro.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

high? at what res are you playing. that would equate to about 200º of movement on a QcK (with my settings) which means constantly picking up the mouse. rank?

I use 2500dpi with 1.3 in cs go (3840x2160 though ... lol)

I use a 1080p 144hz monitor. I'm DMG and my mouse pad is 15.75" wide.

Go pro.

Haha, I'd aim for it if there was a practical chance. Still gonna grind and see how far I can get though. :)

I use 2400,

Was on 800

Then went to 1600

Then 2400

Why? Because I got better the higher I went. I disagree with you entirely. Everyone is different when it comes to things like this.

Just an addition, I feel like in shooters, response time is more important than pinpoint accuracy

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

I use 2400,

Was on 800

Then went to 1600

Then 2400

Why? Because I got better the higher I went. I disagree with you entirely. Everyone is different when it comes to things like this.

No, this is fundamentally wrong. Imagine projecting an image onto your mouse pad, and locations on it corresponding to objects on your screen. When you move your mousepad to a spot, that's where you are now looking. With a lower sensitivity, those objects are larger, and therefore easier to move your mouse to and hit. So long as your mouse pad is of sufficient size, a lower sensitivity is exactly what you want.

Just an addition, I feel like in shooters, response time is more important than pinpoint accuracy

Sorry, but even if you shoot first, if you hit my body, I'll shoot second and one-tap you in the head, instantly killing you. Ideally you need both, but being able to reliably get a headshot is HUGELY important.

A low sensitivity is NOT going to screw up your response times. Just like flicking your wrist, you can flick your arm too. If you use a decent mousepad, then you should easily be able to move your mouse at fast speeds, and have excellent response times. Hence why I recommended the Puretrak Talent.

786 / 1,000 Headshot Kills on a Noscope Headshot Gun. Headshots have a 1 Second Cooldown and don't one shot kill enemies.

Keep in mind that unlike most FPS games, TF2 characters don't run slow as f**k. 

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=403016060 ico_external_link.gif

Average speed of characters in CSGO: ~240 Hammer Units

Average speed of characters in TF2: 300 Hammer Units

Fastest speed of characters in TF2: 520 Hammer Units

Slowest Speed of characters in TF2: 230 Hammer Units

786 / 1,000 Headshot Kills on a Noscope Headshot Gun. Headshots have a 1 Second Cooldown and don't one shot kill enemies.

Keep in mind that unlike most FPS games, TF2 characters don't run slow as f**k. 

Talking about CSGO, not TF2. And just because you find success with low DPI, doesn't mean it's right, nor that it requires thousands of hours of discipline. For all we know, you could be accomplishing that on trade servers or stupid stuff like that.