Scientists from the land of the rising sun closer to beaming solar power in from space

nicehat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D56vRfv71OA

Japan's suns and daughters are becoming quite the great group of suntists. Scientists working for JAXA, Japan's space administration, have announced a major breakthrough in wireless power transmission ... in that they've actually been able to do it with a high degree of accuracy for once. The team reportedly beamed 1.8 kilowatts, enough juice to power an electric tea kettle, more than 50 meters to a small receiver without any wires.

How on earth were they able to do it? 

The researchers were able to do so by first converting the electrical signal to microwaves, then beaming them to a remote receiver, and finally converting them back into electrons. This successful experiment is the first time scientists have been able to move electrons over any appreciable distance with such a high degree of accuracy

JAXA has also been at work on the SSPS effort (Space Solar Systems) which aims to harness the power of Helios himself and beam it to earth (into a global grid) via microwaves. 

What's more, these orbital arrays would never have to deal with obscuring cloud cover or darkened nights as their terrestrial counterparts do.

a.aaa-Funny-Sun-Man.jpg

Additional info

Mitsubishi Heavy Industries has announced that they've performed a successful ground test using technology that will ultimately form the basis for SSPS (space solar power systems). A 10 kilowatt microwave beam was sent from a transmitter to a receiver 500 meters (1640 feet) away, causing an LED display to illuminate upon receiving the electromagnetic radiation.

be548287da3f0ab7971231cecc0a645f14263373

/comic suns

http://phys.org/news/2015-03-japan-space-scientists-wireless-energy.html

http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/12/scientists-make-strides-in-beaming-solar-power-from-space/?ncid=rss_truncated

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

tl;dr but...doesn't that happen already? :confused:

:P

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

quit photon the urge...Ray on the puns fellas

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

I would be interested in seeing what kind of damage that would cause if it hit organic matter. It would be pretty awful if the space solar array beamed all that power to a city by accident. Pretty much any part of the ems with enough power to make this work would destroy anything it hit. So what happens when a plane passes through the transmission?

01010010 01101111 01100010  01001101 01100001 01100011 01010010 01100001 01100101

I always find it funny how Nikola Tesla pioneered wireless power almost a hundred if not more than a hundred years ago, yet we still have no idea how to make it available to industries or consumers.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

quit photon the urge...Ray on the puns fellas

that brightened up my day,  and after reading that article I feel illuminated.

Now on a serious note,  what happens if you get caught in the microwave? radioburn?  sounds nasty.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

that brightened up my day,  and after reading that article I feel illuminated.

Now on a serious note,  what happens if you get caught in the microwave? radioburn?  sounds nasty.

Thats a good question. But a better one is what happens if one is in the Caribbean and there happens to be a total calypso of the sun? I try to read up on these things, but I find that only while sunbathing can one truly be well-red. 

tl;dr but...doesn't that happen already? :confused:

:P

it does happen, kinda although the aiming part is the biggest breakthrough, it seemed impossible to aim.

I would be interested in seeing what kind of damage that would cause if it hit organic matter. It would be pretty awful if the space solar array beamed all that power to a city by accident. Pretty much any part of the ems with enough power to make this work would destroy anything it hit. So what happens when a plane passes through the transmission?

guess that it depends on what the plane does with it, it might bounce of the beam, making it go around the world or reflect it to the transmitter, which would mean it attempts to send the beam again, if it's able to react to such a situation.

i think it is also dependent on the wavelength of these waves, with the right wavelength they should be near harmless and pass through matter/metal(except for lead)

Ion Cannon ready

LoIC reporting for duty :ph34r:

"converting the electrical signal to microwaves, then beaming them to a remote receiver, and finally converting them back into electrons"

Must be joking...

How is that possible?

To produce a current you need a continuous flow of electrons.

And if you somehow transmit them one way, where do they end up going?

From electrical signals to microwaves to electrons? What??

i think that the microwaves only carry the amount of energy coming form the signal, where as the receiver mostly converts the microwaves to something more useable, like let's say, heat to boil water, creating steam which makes a turbine spin, to create power. Im not sure if it's able to work such a way but the basic idea is to pass energy form electron group A to electron group B, which theoretically(so far i know/think) should be possible if you pass energy through a transmitter to a receiver, which only act as a link between the groups.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Damnit, selective reading sucks, I read 'land of the midnight sun' and was about to get all patriot up in this bsns.

Though, this is hella cool, Japan.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

post-125392-1326314441_thumb.jpg

Woooo.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

"How on earth were they able to do it?" Sorry, but this pun cannot be forgiven :P

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

what about all the microwave though? possible issues there? idk, just asking.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

Bad jokes and energy weapons jokes overload....

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

that's what the ancient egyptiand used the pyramids for. Now look, it's a desert.

Why, instead of (trying to) transfer 'electricity' (which is hard and comes at a powerloss, doesn't it?), don't they (simply) but a solar mirror array in space (where there's always sun) and use that to drive turbines?

Save space on Earth + it's still 'clean' energy since the only thing you're doing is heating up water so it (violently) changes to steam and spins the turbine(s)

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

you know those solar plants with all mirrors focused on a central tower.......... ever wonder how hot that gets and how much of that heat gets trapped in the earth's atmosphere? talk about global warming.

Sweet, that Comic Sans tho.

that's what the ancient egyptiand used the pyramids for. Now look, it's a desert.

Yeah no, don't bring conspiracies here please.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Just gonna post this graph here to correct the misleading graph in the video.

post-15026-0-36348900-1426462228.jpg

post-15026-0-60879000-1426462233.jpg

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Sweet, that Comic Sans tho.

Yeah no, don't bring conspiracies here please.

conspiracies..........no, just a little humor.

what about all the microwave though? possible issues there? idk, just asking.

as long they don't bounce of things(example airplaines) there shouldn't be any issues.

Bad jokes and energy weapons jokes overload....

don't worry, those take time to charge up.

Why, instead of (trying to) transfer 'electricity' (which is hard and comes at a powerloss, doesn't it?), don't they (simply) but a solar mirror array in space (where there's always sun) and use that to drive turbines?

Save space on Earth + it's still 'clean' energy since the only thing you're doing is heating up water so it (violently) changes to steam and spins the turbine(s)

the problem would be the heat going form space to earth, the atmosphere deflects alot of the heat, absorbs a part and the heat get's trapped.

to be a bit more exact, the ozonlayer contains O3 when being hit with radiation and heat of the sun the particles split in oxygen (O2) so simply said  2 O3 --> 3 O2 and the other way around due to the lack of other elements, increasing the heat in that area would make it harder for O3 to form and thus decreasing our protection(ozonlayer hole problem)

you know those solar plants with all mirrors focused on a central tower.......... ever wonder how hot that gets and how much of that heat gets trapped in the earth's atmosphere? talk about global warming.

if im not mistaken they reach roughly 500oC, atleast enough to melt certain salts, but since it uses heat that's already inside the atmosphere it hurt's less for the envoirment, the only thing they actually do is focusing the light/heat into a single point where it normally would be spread over an area.

Just gonna post this graph here to correct the misleading graph in the video.

thanks for posting this, gives an idea of how "stable" the envoirment is by it's self, if you look at this it might even raise the question, "does humanity really increase the effect of global warming?"

opinions on that are pretty broadly spread across the board.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.