HP Pavilion Revamp: Plan B

QueenDemetria

(Project: Demetria's ShitBox? Lol).

Kentucky Fried HP, please. :D I threw this together for you. :D Not taking credit for the Demi pic, that is from google.

DcwFNV5.png

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Kentucky Fried HP, please. :D I threw this together for you. :D Not taking credit for the Demi pic, that is from google.

DcwFNV5.png

that is amazing :D

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

My story:
I hate to say this, but I actually enjoyed my HP Pavilion(p6210f). That is, until the true HP feeling kicked in. I'm not sure why, but owning a HP is like a high school relationship. Its fun, cute, and starts off great, but then your partner does something to set you off and it all goes down hill from there. I did some bad things, the computer did some bad things, it just wasn't working out for us(lol). The great thing about computers though is that unlike a high school relationship, a screwdriver and patience can solve all of the problems....at least most of them. 

My Goal:
Honestly my biggest problem with my computer is the motherboard. Its just bad, that's the best way to describe it. The power supply also needs to be replaced, its been making a weird “humming” sound under load. I would also like to switch out my storage device for a real SSD/HDD setup, the RAM drive is fun to mess with but not practical for a daily usage computer. Pretty much I just want to make this a better PC with only using parts from previous PC's and to get some experience with painting and cutting metal(with a die grinder). 

It's a shame that these big manufacturers always cheap out on the motherboard. It's an M2N78-LA (Violet) made by Pegatron (who owns ASRock) but of course like most OEM systems, they make as cheap and generic as they possibly can, and their excuse is "it just works". 

Same with the power supply, just, you know, more vital to the system?

EDIT: Fixed the quote on the pictures.

"If you're going to do something, do it to inspire others." -Skora

It's a shame that these big manufacturers always cheap out on the motherboard. It's an M2N78-LA (Violet) made by Pegatron (who owns ASRock) but of course like most OEM systems, they make as cheap and generic as they possibly can, and their excuse is "it just works". 

Dude I know you are new here, but please don't quote OP's post with images because it turns the thread into a mouse scrolling clusterfuck.

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

Dude I know you are new here, but please don't quote OP's post with images because it turns the thread into a mouse scrolling clusterfuck.

^^

or just delete everything except for the specific part of the post you are replying to. No one want a clusterfuck :D I don't got Logitech's free scrolling scroll wheel, so scrolling for a long time is a pain

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Unless your mouse has a free scroll wheel.

If only...

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

DcwFNV5.png

noice.

Get distilled water,get some color hot pink if you can ;) add it and run water if you want to :P

On a serious not,well atleast now we know what oil can do to a system.I think you should go water.

Lol, I'll probably just use distilled water for now, but I'll add some form of a blue dye/coolant later. I wish I could do pink, but too many things on this rig are blue lol. Originally I wanted this PC to be pink, but it was too hard for me to get paint and I figured I should use up the old blue fans that I have.  I still want to re-test oil cooling since I messed up by leaving water in the system, but I can make another PC for that :P(I'm thinking the left over parts from this rig lol).

Kentucky Fried HP, please. :D I threw this together for you. :D Not taking credit for the Demi pic, that is from google

Kentucky Fried HP it is :D And I love that picture. Your pretty good at Photoshop :).

Yeah, I really wish high volume PC manufactures took pride in the machines they build. Its clear that HP wants you to have a high quality feeling machine, but skimps on the things that consumers usually don't see. The case has a fantastic build quality(the design is questionable), but the motherboard is kind of sketch and the nVidia chipset/DDR2 RAM shows that HP likes adding artificial value while cutting corners. Oh well, at least there are other options, nobody is forcing me to buy a HP or Dell or whatever :P.

Kentucky Fried HP it is :D And I love that picture. Your pretty good at Photoshop :).

Glad you like it. :) As for the PS, I am self learned and it was just a basic resizing, moving and little bit of cleaning the edges, not too difficult. But thanks, always nice to hear kind words. :)

P.s. I would like to be able to do vector faces like the Demi pic I found, but I have to be in a mood for some photoshop learning. I am lazy like that. :D

My modded Air 540 build

Spoiler

This computer, I swear. So the leak that I found last night was more than just a little leak. Basically, the entire bottom of my case was full of oil, so I had fun cleaning that up. The good news is that it didn't harm anything, so it was just a minor annoyance. Also good news for oil cooling, the cloudy/nastyness was caused by left over water in the radiator, so I will definitely be testing this again(on the KFHP of course). I poured the old oil into a water bottle and found a good amount of water mixed in with it(the water eventually separated), so I'll dry my stuff properly next time.

Dismissing the leak as the cap having a faulty o-ring, I then started routing the tubes and rebuilding the side panel since I had to use all new tubing. I changed the design a little by rotating the water block and making the GPU tubes longer to make it so that I don't have to cross the tubes when removing my pump/res panel. So far this has worked out better and the panel isn't as tight of a fit.

8OOd70i.jpg

And yes I know I plugged in the CPU 8pin wrong, I fixed that after the picture lol.

Putting everything back together was easy, and my design change made it so that I could do this to make filling the reservoir easier:

bbxudnZ.jpg

It was at this point when I used the last of my distilled water to see if replacing the cap would fix the leak, and nope, it wasn't the cap. Its hard to describe, but the reservoir was leaking from the inside edge, and I couldn't pin point the leak either since it was leaking from everywhere. I tried using super glue around the edge, but it only made it worse. In diagnosing what to do, this happened:

Dl4CAo9.jpg

Yep, theres the leak lol. I'm attempting to use “All Purpose Cement” to join the pieces together, but acrylic isn't on the list of things thats supported, so there's a chance it won't work(so much for being all purpose huh? Lol). If this works, great, if not I'm going to home depot and DIYing a reservoir since my funds for this project have ran out(like I said, I had a $0 budget lol).

Lol, I'll probably just use distilled water for now, but I'll add some form of a blue dye/coolant later. I wish I could do pink, but too many things on this rig are blue lol. Originally I wanted this PC to be pink, but it was too hard for me to get paint and I figured I should use up the old blue fans that I have.  I still want to re-test oil cooling since I messed up by leaving water in the system, but I can make another PC for that :P(I'm thinking the left over parts from this rig lol).

Yeah, I really wish high volume PC manufactures took pride in the machines they build. Its clear that HP wants you to have a high quality feeling machine, but skimps on the things that consumers usually don't see. The case has a fantastic build quality(the design is questionable), but the motherboard is kind of sketch and the nVidia chipset/DDR2 RAM shows that HP likes adding artificial value while cutting corners. Oh well, at least there are other options, nobody is forcing me to buy a HP or Dell or whatever :P.

Sound like a nice plan,to make another rig with oil.Have you thought about using automotive grade, heavy coolant used in trucks.

When everything else Fails,Crowbar IT. - Half-life

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

This computer, I swear. So the leak that I found last night was more than just a little leak. Basically, the entire bottom of my case was full of oil, so I had fun cleaning that up. The good news is that it didn't harm anything, so it was just a minor annoyance. Also good news for oil cooling, the cloudy/nastyness was caused by left over water in the radiator, so I will definitely be testing this again(on the KFHP of course). I poured the old oil into a water bottle and found a good amount of water mixed in with it(the water eventually separated), so I'll dry my stuff properly next time.

Dismissing the leak as the cap having a faulty o-ring, I then started routing the tubes and rebuilding the side panel since I had to use all new tubing. I changed the design a little by rotating the water block and making the GPU tubes longer to make it so that I don't have to cross the tubes when removing my pump/res panel. So far this has worked out better and the panel isn't as tight of a fit.
8OOd70i.jpg
And yes I know I plugged in the CPU 8pin wrong, I fixed that after the picture lol.

Putting everything back together was easy, and my design change made it so that I could do this to make filling the reservoir easier:
bbxudnZ.jpg

It was at this point when I used the last of my distilled water to see if replacing the cap would fix the leak, and nope, it wasn't the cap. Its hard to describe, but the reservoir was leaking from the inside edge, and I couldn't pin point the leak either since it was leaking from everywhere. I tried using super glue around the edge, but it only made it worse. In diagnosing what to do, this happened:
Dl4CAo9.jpg
Yep, theres the leak lol. I'm attempting to use “All Purpose Cement” to join the pieces together, but acrylic isn't on the list of things thats supported, so there's a chance it won't work(so much for being all purpose huh? Lol). If this works, great, if not I'm going to home depot and DIYing a reservoir since my funds for this project have ran out(like I said, I had a $0 budget lol).

Considering its acrylic.Why not getto it using a heat gun to melt and seal the crack.If you are okay with it.

Being a Linux user is sort of like living in a house inhabited by a large family of carpenters and architects. Every morning when you wake up, the house is a little different. Maybe there is a new turret, or some walls have moved. Or perhaps someone has temporarily removed the floor under your bed." - Unix for Dummies, 2nd Edition (Found in the .sig of Rob Riggs) 

Sound like a nice plan,to make another rig with oil.Have you thought about using automotive grade, heavy coolant used in trucks.

I have, and since I will have 0 cares for that rig I have planned, I'll probably use it for testing liquids. I'm guessing a very low viscosity engine oil would do pretty good, but not as good as coolant.

Considering its acrylic.Why not getto it using a heat gun to melt and seal the crack.If you are okay with it.

Why did you quote the whole thing? lol.

Actually that piece that came off is not the cap and should not be removed, but it basically fell off lol. The glue Danger Den must have been applied wrong since the other half stayed on just fine, but I had to use the cement because I would have to do a lot of melting to get two flat surfaces to stick(and not leak).

I have, and since I will have 0 cares for that rig I have planned, I'll probably use it for testing liquids. I'm guessing a very low viscosity engine oil would do pretty good, but not as good as coolant.

Why did you quote the whole thing? lol.

Actually that piece that came off is not the cap and should not be removed, but it basically fell off lol. The glue Danger Den must have been applied wrong since the other half stayed on just fine, but I had to use the cement because I would have to do a lot of melting to get two flat surfaces to stick(and not leak).

Engine oil will heat up,and cleaning process would be such a pain in the ass,you can also try Ln2 active Ln2 cooling,Ln2 is quite cheap and you can also try ocing it like crazy,my bad lel.

OP should post more photos of the build :) .

Engine oil will heat up,and cleaning process would be such a pain in the ass,you can also try Ln2 active Ln2 cooling,Ln2 is quite cheap and you can also try ocing it like crazy,my bad lel.

Not a bad idea but the CPU and GPU will cold bug at different temperatures. Not to mention the amount of insulation involved if she ever wants to use any of them parts ever again.

LN2 into tubes would make them freeze and warp.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

LN2 relies on it boiling and evaporating to dissipate away any heat so it needs to be continuously topped up or it'll run dry. Also it can't be used in a closed loop system because it would just boil into nitrogen gas and be a super crap conductor of heat.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

Welp, I just filled my hole with putty(the hole jokes continue!). My determination amazes me at times lol. Its 2AM and somehow I thought it would be a good idea to fill up the logo hole on the front of the case(yes, I have issues).

Are you trying to be PUNNY? Get it? <---- Lol bad joke alert.

LN2 relies on it boiling and evaporating to dissipate away any heat so it needs to be continuously topped up or it'll run dry. Also it can't be used in a closed loop system because it would just boil into nitrogen gas and be a super crap conductor of heat.

I thought about doing ln2 once but couldn't.

I LOL'd hard at this. Props for the effort.

That feeling when you upgrade your system:

9vKO11Q.gif

Hey everyone, sorry for the lack of updates and unannounced absence. I've been very busy and haven't had the time or motivation to work on this PC. Progress should continue soon though, I might do a few small things tomorrow but I plan on really getting some work done this weekend.

Just as an update for this PC: So far the ghetto-glue reservoir is holding up fine and there isn't a single leak now(great now that my liquid is conductive lol). The picture I took of the glue vanished because of my Windows Phone being a turd, so I'll have to take another picture(not the prettiest thing, but functional). The entire cooling system is almost dead silent under load which is really cool since I wasn't sure how well a single 120mm radiator could handle a OC'd Athlon and GPU(My fan can do 90CFM, so it can get loud). I do have to fix two minor things though. One thing is that the pump vibrates the entire pump/res panel, so it makes a bunch of unnecessary noise(tape and a napkin is keeping it silent now). I'll fix it by adding foam feet to the bottom of it, and I want to drill holes in the little tab that sticks out so that it can help with the vibrations and rigidity(I have ordered low profile screws so that it can fit without scraping the side panel. The aluminum I chose is thicker than the stock HDD cage.). I'm sure my explanation of this sucks, but it will be in pictures soon(it will all make sense lol). I've also decided the real name and paint scheme for this PC. So the name is officially “Honey Bee”. I chose this because I can modify the original logo easily and my nick name is “Bee”, so it all makes sense. To match the name, I am painting a honey comb pattern on the front of the case and on the pump/res panel, but the colors will be secret for now(I still have to plan this out lol). Spoiler though: For those that remember my original forum sig, I am going to paint a similar scheme(lets see who can remember lol). Also, the airflow of this case is super good right now, so I am not going to add mesh to the side panel as I originally planned, but I might add a window(and lights) to show off the pump/res panel.

(Pre post edit): Also the 16Gb Gskill kit is officially dead(or crazy). Running Memtest doesn't show any errors but will crash, so I'll take that for what it is. Depending on what the RMA brings, I might change this build a little(just a heads up). For the mean time, I have another 16Gb Gskill kit that I can use and if that doesn't work, I have a 16Gb Crucial kit that will hopefully work(my fallback plan is to use the original low profile Kingston kit, even though its only 8Gb).

Anyways, sorry for the wait and hopefully I can finish this soon(I really want to start the fish tank PC and KFHP lol).

So I don't have much of an update, but I did testing with the RAM and 2 sticks out of the Gskill set are dead, so now I just have to RMA them. Ideally they will replace the kit with the same kit, but I am doubtful that they still have/manufacture 16Gb DDR2 kits(they are a niche, the $500 price tag keeps the demand down lol), so I'll just have to wait and see. For now though, the Crucial kit works fine, but I paired a Adata kit and Micron kit together and they have more bandwidth, but I would have less RAM that way(8Gb), so I'll have to weight the pros and cons.  For now, the project will continue, I'm not going to let a RMA process hold this back, but I have other 16Gb kits that I can use in the meantime.

I didn't take any pictures since RAM is pretty boring(especially when they don't have heat spreaders), but here is a "unreleased" shot of the motherboard when I initially built it:

7K6H31s.jpg