NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X 3DMark performance From [ videocardz ] & [ChipHell]

ahhming

There is no Double Precision performance, so it can't serve as a workstation card for rendering or precise scientific computing.

So why does this Titan exist? It's going to be overpriced as usual.

It fills the same niche as the previous one, although not having DP is down to Maxwell.

It seems Maxwell's design is there not to eat into their Quadro line again, which the previous Titans did oh so well. 

They use to be Quadro's minus ECC RAM, now they're not even that.

They're still halo products for a niche, and personally I would have gotten the Titan X over my GTX 980 if it was out when I building my current system.

Many people prefer a single powerful card, as even in worst cases it'll always perform the same, where is in multi gpu ones you can at worst get the performance of just one card.

I personally think for gaming it would be better to wait for the GTX 980 Ti or what they call the next gaming version. As it'll most likely be cheaper, and hopefully have around 8GB RAM.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Well, 12GB of VRAM is always costly, but without the DP goodies I don't think Nvidia can sell it for such high prices this time around. Just a hunch.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Why? its double the price if I am generous, get a second 980 for the same money, and you have at least 80% performance increase

Shhhhh.. You can't use logic on these forums haha

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

In no* application will you ever have quote:'at least' 80% performance increase by adding a second GPU

*Outside of select synthetic benchmarks

Uhm, 

1) price not announced yet.

2) Maxwell has no native 64-bit SPs. There is no halfway workstation card this time around. It's still fine for CUDA research I suppose, but you're limited to single precision.

There is no Double Precision performance, so it can't serve as a workstation card for rendering or precise scientific computing.

lol yeah indeed,

Titan has allways been a gaming card.

No where near a workstation / professional grade gpu.

just an overpriced gaming card.. :P

And if you added 12GB of VRAM to any other card, you'd end up with some freakishly high prices as well. R9 290Xs with 8GB of VRAM hover around 700 USD on average. So yea, adding in another 4GB might put you at ~1000 on average. 

VRAM isn't cheap no matter how you slice it. HBM certainly won't be cheaper. If the Titan X shows up at 1500, it'll carry some Titan branding surcharge but if it comes in at 999, it'll be a steal of a deal for what its packing. 

It's expensive but not that expensive. Sony's 8GB GDDR5 is assumed to end up costing them 110 - 140 per unit, and that was when the thing was launched, larger chips are already available. R9 290X is sub 400€ in Mindfactory, and that's for an MSI Gaming model, commanding a 50€ premium over it's 4GB brother and hair under 100€ of the cheapest 290X's. Not bad if you want to go nuts with LuxRender.

12GB on a CUDA-enabled card would be nice but that's all what it really is. The Titan won't have even have the enhanced compute capabilities (Quadros skipped Maxwell) so there's no imaginary reason for a huge premium, either. If it lands at 1k I can somewhat understand it, but essentially it should still be called what it is; 1080Ti 12GB or whatever, not a Titan.

lol yeah indeed,

No, the Kepler Titans had full DP support and a huge amount of VRAM. They were poor people Quadros in just about every sense of the word. You lose ECC, drop the price by 75%, gain VRAM, gain DP, and you have an extremely powerful card. The reality is if you were willing to take the 1 in 10,000 chance of having a render error, they were worth it for you. If you're doing GPGPU algorithm research and care more about runtime than accuracy but need a large platform with lots of memory, the Kepler Titan line was right up your alley.

The Titan X is a slightly different beast because it has no 64-bit SPs. With only 1/32 DP performance, it can't really fit for scientific computing research unless you're willing to compromise to SP. There are only a handful of applications that can work for.

The Kepler Titans were poor people's workstation cards AND great gaming cards, period.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

lol yeah indeed,

The Titan is a great workstation card if you need CUDA performance which many do.(Linus team as an example uses Titan Blacks)

Same goes for the almost the entire 3D art community.

The Titan is for people that need Cuda Cores and Vram but don't need things like 10bit color and that audience is larger then you might think.

And for those cases it's not expensive but dirt cheap as the only other option would be a Quadro K6000 that costs about $5000

RTX2070OC 

The Titan is a great workstation card if you need CUDA performance which many do.(Linus team as an example uses Titan Blacks)

Same goes for the almost the entire 3D art community.

The Titan is for people that need Cuda Cores and Vram but don't need things like 10bit color and that audience is larger then you might think.

And for those cases it's not expensive but dirt cheap as the only other option would be a Quadro K6000 that costs about $5000

If all you need is pure CUDA power its pretty silly to buy a titan, just buy 2 980/970's... More CUDA cores and power for less price.

If all you need is pure CUDA power its pretty silly to buy a titan, just buy 2 980/970's... More CUDA cores and power for less price.

Not enough Vram for 3D work.

RTX2070OC 

Not enough Vram for 3D work.

The (eventual?) 8GB 980/980Ti isn't enjoy VRAM for 3D work but the 12GB on the Titan X is and means the card is worth double? That doesn't sound accurate to me.

I can see your point about the 4GB cards though.

The (eventual?) 8GB 980/980Ti isn't enjoy VRAM for 3D work but the 12GB on the Titan X is and means the card is worth double? That doesn't sound accurate to me.

The way Amd is taking this long, nvdia might just release the next series, with no need for 980 ti. 2016.... But in April 2015 they will exist in limited quantities? Err makes no sense unless only VIPS can get a 980 ti.

Groomlake Authority

Titan is no workstation, professional grade card.

Its still just a gaming card period :)

No, the Kepler Titans had full DP support and a huge amount of VRAM. They were poor people Quadros in just about every sense of the word. You lose ECC, drop the price by 75%, gain VRAM, gain DP, and you have an extremely powerful card. The reality is if you were willing to take the 1 in 10,000 chance of having a render error, they were worth it for you. If you're doing GPGPU algorithm research and care more about runtime than accuracy but need a large platform with lots of memory, the Kepler Titan line was right up your alley.

The Titan X is a slightly different beast because it has no 64-bit SPs. With only 1/32 DP performance, it can't really fit for scientific computing research unless you're willing to compromise to SP. There are only a handful of applications that can work for.

The Kepler Titans were poor people's workstation cards AND great gaming cards, period.

I was under the impression that they were named Titans only for the fact that they had unhampered double precision capabilities, so what the hell is actually going on here? Was this supposed to be the GTX 980 Ti but they felt happy with Titan Z bringing enough chumps in paying ludicrous amounts of money simply for the brand premium, thusly the Titan nomenclature?

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Titan is no workstation, professional grade card.

Its still just a gaming card period :)

except for the DP and it's ability to be used as a poor mans workstation card. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Titan X = the gateway for the 1080.  I -really- hope it is a 20nm card, though.  Would be nice if the Titan X is $999, same speed as the Titan Z in a single card, and incredible OC potential.

Titan X = the gateway for the 1080. I -really- hope it is a 20nm card, though. Would be nice if the Titan X is $999, same speed as the Titan Z in a single card, and incredible OC potential.

It's 28nm

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

I was under the impression that they were named Titans only for the fact that they had unhampered double precision capabilities, so what the hell is actually going on here? Was this supposed to be the GTX 980 Ti but they felt happy with Titan Z bringing enough chumps in paying ludicrous amounts of money simply for the brand premium, thusly the Titan nomenclature?

I think it's a matter of differentiating the big daddy flagship from the rest of the line, which is already very powerful in its own right. The Titan naming is pure marketing, but it will be a beastly card. Where the final price ends up is anyone's guess, but the rumored 1350 MSRP I think is crazy. Nvidia knows it can't sell that even with 12GB of RAM. I predict $900-$1000, which is quite fair.

Go look at System memory prices and look at what density scaling does to price. 2x the memory per stick is almost 2.4x the price. Now add on top of that the memory is the top performing GDDR5, not your typical bargain brand stuff. It will not come cheap to Nvidia nor to you.

Although Videocardz says it will be 999, a lot of other sources have been saying it will be 1300-1400 dollars. 

There is ABSOLUTELY no point in buying this card unless: 

a. You are doing some sort of professional work

b. You have money pouring out of your ass and want to put 2 or more in one system

Dual 970s probably will consume only a little more power while being faster and 3/4 to 1/2 the price of a titan x. The one thing the Titan X has over them is 12GB buffer.

Although Videocardz says it will be 999, a lot of other sources have been saying it will be 1300-1400 dollars. 

There is ABSOLUTELY no point in buying this card unless: 

a. You are doing some sort of professional work

b. You have money pouring out of your ass and want to put 2 or more in one system

Dual 970s probably will consume only a little more power while being faster and 3/4 to 1/2 the price of a titan x. The one thing the Titan X has over them is 12GB buffer.

Single GPU always better than multiple ones, also I could get two of these Titans with a mild overclock and have the same performance as x3 980s at 1400-1500MHz.

I don't want a 3rd GPU, worse SLI scaling, more power consumption, way more heat, more noise, and obviously the Titans give me x3 the amount of VRAM.

If they are 1K i will most definitely switch.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

So, if I should score a job and should have WAAAAAY too much money to spare, then I'd totally get one :D

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900