Google Releases Android Lollipop 5.1

Mew

Just as Apple releases their major update to iOS (iOS 8.2), Google has announced their release of Android 5.1.

The update is said to improve both performance and stability, as well as a few new features.

The first feature is official support for multiple SIM cards. This featureis likely to appeal to Android users in emerging markets, and will definitely help Google's Android One initiative. Another new feature is support for HD voice calls on compatible networks and devices, with both T-Mobile and Verizon supporting the feature on the Nexus 6. Google has also added the ability to join WiFi networks and pair Bluetooth devices right from the quick settings menu.

In addition to the above improvements, Android 5.1 hasone morenotable feature, it's called Device Protection. Similar to Apple's Activation Lock, Device Protection means that a device will remain locked until the owner signs in with their Google account. This lock persists even after a factory reset, which should hopefully make stealing Android smartphones a pointless endeavor for thieves. Police departments in some US cities reported significant reductions in iPhone theft after the release of activation lock, and it would be great to see the same thing happen with Android devices.

Android 5.1 Lollipop will be rolling out to Nexus and Google Play edition devices in the near future.

Just as people are being updated to the latest version of Android, Google comes in and says no, you get to wait for another eternity to be running the latest version of "Android Vista"  :P

This is an interesting feature. I always thought that because Tmobile had HD voice, that most if not all handsets supported it.

High Definition voice calling is now on your mobile phone. Get crystal clear calling with HD Voice between compatible Android 5.1 devices like the Nexus 6 on T-Mobile or Verizon.

Source:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9068/google-releases-android-51

http://officialandroid.blogspot.ca/2015/03/android-51-unwrapping-new-lollipop.html

No Factory Images yet. :(

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

I might be the only person to say this but I really like Lollipop and I don't like mobile phones. It has improved my battery life by at least 50% and it is easier for me who mainly uses Linux and W7 to navigate. The new update should be really nice if it gets to me in a shorter time span ethen the last update did because that took about 5 months I think.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Google has also added the ability to join WiFi networks and pair Bluetooth devices right from the quick settings menu

But they already have that? 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

But they already have that? 

It has an On/Off toggle, but not a full blown menu to join unknown networks and unpaired devices.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

It has an On/Off toggle, but not a full blown menu to join unknown networks and unpaired devices.

ah, useful. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I'm still stuck on 4.4 :(

It's time to get a new ROM or a new phone, probably a new carrier too

I'm still stuck on 4.4 :(

It's time to get a new ROM or a new phone, probably a new carrier too

Nexus 6 on Google's network :D

all i wanna know is to see if they fixed the memory leak problems, that shit cut my battery life like 20 percent, other that that new features are welcome especially device protection

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Sony, wheres my Xperia Z update :(

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

My poor nexus 5 wants it's battery power back. Q_Q

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

My poor nexus 5 wants it's battery power back. Q_Q

At first I didn't think battery life was that much worse, but after switching back to KitKat recently, it's impressive how much more battery life I can end a day with.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I wonder if it fixes the huge standby drain problem on some devices.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

At first I didn't think battery life was that much worse, but after switching back to KitKat recently, it's impressive how much more battery life I can end a day with.

Ikr, even when I got the update to Lollipop feeling all happy and stuff. Then bam! Slap across the face! Notice immediately that my battery is draining like a troll smartphone bulbasaur using leech seed on it.

- Fresher than a fruit salad.

And here's me wishing that I had a Nexus 6 so I can take the update now... But alas, I'll just have to wait until ROM makers for my G3 come out with an Android 5.1 ROM.

GOML BITCH!!!! <3

Soon

post-6848-0-58651500-1425952687_thumb.pn

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

all i wanna know is to see if they fixed the memory leak problems, that shit cut my battery life like 20 percent, other that that new features are welcome especially device protection

The memory leak was one of the big fixes

also a few notification and sound bugs were squashed

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I don't have 5 yet either. Gonna wait until it's 5.1 though. HTC One M8 on verizon here.

After the initial excitement I must say it's now Lolipoo. All I see are tiny glitches and slowpoke-ness of my phone. I sure hope 5.1 is coming soon and that these issues will be resolved. (battery life is great tho)

Lollipop is awesome !!

People who call it android vista are

MAD !!

The art runtime is amazing !

Couple the lollipop with gravity box and you have the most customisable, efficient , liquid smooth and rock stable os !

May be not rock stable .... But hey !! 5.1 !

How to make your droids snappier:

The ultimate laptop buying guide :

My nexus 5 is so ready ! I give it max 3 weeks after release.

But I'm more excited for Android M (think that's the letter they are planning on using). Heared on Tested that next Android version is supposed to be a lot bigger change than Android Kit Kat to L was.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE