upgrading to 4690k from 4440

so I'm going to be using a i5 4440 with an h81 board, and I want to know if I ever wanted to upgrade in the future to lets say a 4690k would I need to purchase a new mobo too? sense h81 boards do not have haswell refresh when I update drivers/bios would it then be compatible with something like a 4690k? 

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

As long as you update the bios to a more recent one with haswell refresh support you'll be fine although there's no real point in going from a 4440 to a 4690k.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

A. Their would be no point in going from a 4440 to a 4690K.

B. If you did, you could either update the Bios but not be able to Over Clock.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

so I'm going to be using a i5 4440 with an h81 board, and I want to know if I ever wanted to upgrade in the future to lets say a 4690k would I need to purchase a new mobo too? sense h81 boards do not have haswell refresh when I update drivers/bios would it then be compatible with something like a 4690k? 

There would be no benefit with an H81 board since you can not overclock. You will need to upgrade to a Z97 to overclock and at that point it would not be worth the upgrade cost.

"Rawr XD"

There would be no benefit with an H81 board since you can not overclock. You will need to upgrade to a Z97 to overclock and at that point it would not be worth the upgrade cost.

the 4440 wont bottleneck high end cards like a 980 right? (im guessing no it won't, just want to make sure sorry for stupid question).

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

the 4440 wont bottleneck high end cards like a 980 right? (im guessing no it won't, just want to make sure sorry for stupid question).

in the vast majority of games, no it won't.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Single 980, nope.

"Rawr XD"

in the vast majority of games, no it won't.

And the ones that it would bottleneck are?

"Rawr XD"

And the ones that it would bottleneck are?

some MMO'S and some RTS..some very demanding games such as dragon age inquisition and assassin's creed unity will see some slight dips in GPU usage at times but nothing major.

It's mostly in mmo's which of course do not stress the GPU much where the CPU will be the weakest link by a long shot...games such as arma 3 and dayz for example...bad games.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

some MMO'S and some RTS..some very demanding games such as dragon age inquisition and assassin's creed unity will see some slight dips in GPU usage at times but nothing major.

It's mostly in mmo's which of course do not stress the GPU much where the CPU will be the weakest link by a long shot...games such as arma 3 and dayz for example...bad games.

hell no there wont be any bottlenecking 

hell no there wont be any bottlenecking

you're funny!

The i5-4440, like any other CPU, can bottleneck ANY GPU. It absolutely can and will bottleneck the GPU given the right conditions.

If an overclocked i7-4790K can bottleneck a GTX760 or R9 270 in existing strategy games, MMOs, and compute intensive multiplayer games, then there's no reason to assume that a weaker CPU could never bottleneck an even more powerful GPU.

Surprisingly, you can overclock on Hx7 motherboards, just the actual ability varies. Just look at the B85 boards ASUS makes-some of those are designed for overclocking.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Surprisingly, you can overclock on Hx7 motherboards, just the actual ability varies. Just look at the B85 boards ASUS makes-some of those are designed for overclocking.

Yes some B85 and Hx7 boards do have "unofficial" overclocking capabilities. AsRock's B85 Killer and MSI's B85 GAMING are good examples, but there's no H81 board with overclocking enabled for K-series chips, only the G3258.

"Rawr XD"

There will allways be a bottleneck at a certain point.

But upgrading from a i5-4440 to a 4690k is basicly a waste of money.

Yes some B85 and Hx7 boards do have "unofficial" overclocking capabilities. AsRock's B85 Killer and MSI's B85 GAMING are good examples, but there's no H81 board with overclocking enabled for K-series chips, only the G3258.

Want to bet? http://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards/H81GAMER/#H81-specs

PMSL

There will allways be a bottleneck at a certain point.

exactly, it depends on the workload...i've found my 4.2GHZ i7-4770K to actually be slightly underpowered when paired with my GTX 780 playing arma 3 and dayz for example...but overall it's the other way around my CPU seem to have plenty more to offer and 99% of the time is the strongest part in games.

Not saying the i5-4440 and GTX 980 is not a good match for gaming, cause it is...that's not the point.

jesus-facepalm.jpg

That board is soooo retarded

It can still overclock

PMSL

you're funny!

The i5-4440, like any other CPU, can bottleneck ANY GPU. It absolutely can and will bottleneck the GPU given the right conditions.

If an overclocked i7-4790K can bottleneck a GTX760 or R9 270 in existing strategy games, MMOs, and compute intensive multiplayer games, then there's no reason to assume that a weaker CPU could never bottleneck an even more powerful GPU.

opps sorry i dint explain my sentence i ment when overclocked it can run all gpu s just fine 

It can still overclock

...but up to only 1.2v on the Vcore...max...most ''h'' series motherboard are capped at 1.2v for safety reasons (weak power delivery system on those boards)

opps sorry i dint explain my sentence i ment when overclocked it can run all gpu s just fine

You can't overclock the i5-4440...well technicaly you can...but like 200 to 300mhz tops (if you're very good at it and own a very nice Z series board packed with overclocking features!)

Where does it say that?

Some where over the rainbow........http://www.asus.com/sg/News/0yYwfwL2ZA9CFAMK

PMSL

jesus-facepalm.jpg

That board is soooo retarded

its good motherboard nothing wrong with it (bad price only)

The i5-4440 is a great CPU, and probably the only CPU that would make any sense to upgrade to is the i7-4790k since it comes pretty much overclocked already at 4.0GHz base clock, 4.2GHz all cores turbo, and 4.4 GHz single and dual core turbo while also offering hyperthreading. You might not be able to get full speed on it though if you have a 1.2V limit on your H81 board though, as I have heard of 4790ks having stock voltages in the 1.275V range. I guess you could also upgrade to a hyperthreaded locked i7 or Xeon E3-12xxv3 (with xx greater than or equal to 30). But I don't think either would be enough of a performance bump to justify paying $250-$310 when the i5-4440 is already such a killer gaming CPU.

But with a CPU as good as an i5-4440 already in hand I'd wait for a revolutionary new chip to come out, something like Sandy Bridge was, and then do a full platform upgrade then.