Custom Closed Loop Temps (pics)

I recently picked up a Swiftech Apogee ii block / pump, and a 92mm rad which is 54mm thick from BlackIce. I decided to do a closed loop because my case (InWin901) is extremely tight being a MITX and the fact that it only has a single 120mm intake and a single 92mm exhaust. So It's all hooked and going, and my idle seems great... but Prime95 did a number on me. 

I ran the heat test for 1 hour and my all time high temp was sitting at 90c... I'm running an i7-4790k @ stock / turbo boost enabled and a Noctua Redux 92mm pressure fan blowing air through the rad. I know it's an i-7 but I REALLY THOUGHT the extra thickness of the rad and the pressure fan were going to yield better results. I even considered water cooling the future GPU and mounting a 120mm rad in the front but now I'm bummed because that seems out of the question now =/... 

So do these temps sound about right for my circumstances or is something off? Could my heat paste application sucked or does this sound about right for what I am dealing with?

http://i.imgur.com/csAIujX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Z7ZbMIw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Dj3cBdb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/J9uR1MM.jpg

Nice reminds me of this picture http://imgur.com/gallery/I43mfxG

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

lol thats a cute radiator :)

can I ask how you filled the loop without using a resevoir? im planning to do the same thing except with a bigger rad

and dont run prime 95 on intel CPUs

use intel XTU instead

if your temps are below 85C with XTU then youre safe for 24/7 use

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I recently picked up a Swiftech Apogee ii block / pump, and a 92mm rad which is 54mm thick from BlackIce. I decided to do a closed loop because my case (InWin901) is extremely tight being a MITX and the fact that it only has a single 120mm intake and a single 92mm exhaust. So It's all hooked and going, and my idle seems great... but Prime95 did a number on me. 

I ran the heat test for 1 hour and my all time high temp was sitting at 90c... I'm running an i7-4790k @ stock / turbo boost enabled and a Noctua Redux 92mm pressure fan blowing air through the rad. I know it's an i-7 but I REALLY THOUGHT the extra thickness of the rad and the pressure fan were going to yield better results. I even considered water cooling the future GPU and mounting a 120mm rad in the front but now I'm bummed because that seems out of the question now =/... 

So do these temps sound about right for my circumstances or is something off? Could my heat paste application sucked or does this sound about right for what I am dealing with?

http://i.imgur.com/csAIujX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Z7ZbMIw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Dj3cBdb.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/J9uR1MM.jpg

I would not use Prime 95 it produces way more heat then normal 100 % load try Aida 64, prime 95 can even damage your Cpu linus said that.

CPU: 4790K (4.8 ghz) | COOLING: Custom Liquid Cooling (240 mm rad) | GPU: GTX 980 ti Superclocked+ (2x)  | MOBO: Gryphon Z97 Armor Edition | RAM: Kingston (4x4 gb 1600 mhz) | SSD: 850 Evo (250 gb) | HDD: Black (1.5 tb) | CASE: Enthoo Evolv | PSU: G2 850 (850 w) | DISPLAYS: Acer XB270HU bprz / Philips 246V5LHAB/27 (3x) | KEYBOARD: Vengeance K60 | MOUSE: Naos 7000 | HEADSEAT: H Wireless / Cloud 2 | For the exact parts visit my PCPartpicker it even includes my Desk and some other stuff.

lol thats a cute radiator :)

can I ask how you filled the loop without using a resevoir? im planning to do the same thing except with a bigger rad

and dont run prime 95 on intel CPUs

use intel XTU instead

if your temps are below 85C with XTU then youre safe for 24/7 use

"That's a cute radiator" HEY! You work with what you got! lol.

And it was actually quite the process. I purchased 2 liters of fluid, not because I needed anywhere near that amount, but because you have to submerge the res when you are filling it. You basically fill the loop as much as possible. run the pump, have the intake tube going into the bowel of liquid, and the res outlet completely open, spraying water back into the bowel. Once you get all the air out, submerge res into liquid and attach tubing under the surface. Was quite a fun project =)

I would not use Prime 95 it produces way more heat then normal 100 % load try Aida 64, prime 95 can even damage your Cpu linus said that.

Thank you so much for the tips guys, I did not know Prime was looked down upon. I will look into other methods of stress testing. thank you so much!

And it was actually quite the process. I purchased 2 liters of fluid, not because I needed anywhere near that amount, but because you have to submerge the res when you are filling it. You basically fill the loop as much as possible. run the pump, have the intake tube going into the bowel of liquid, and the res outlet completely open, spraying water back into the bowel. Once you get all the air out, submerge res into liquid and attach tubing under the surface. Was quite a fun project =)

Great :) thanks

By res do you mean the pump or the radiator? because there is no resevoir in that loop...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Great :) thanks

By res do you mean the pump or the radiator? because there is no resevoir in that loop...

Oh, yes yes, my mistake, typing far too fast. Submerge the Rad... not the pump. Keep the pump out of the water lol 

Oh, yes yes, my mistake, typing far too fast. Submerge the Rad... not the pump. Keep the pump out of the water lol 

awesome thanks :D

Spoiler

STOP! Prime95 can kill Haswell CPUs.

They abuse the method that the processor deals with AVX codes. Basically Haswells are programmed to add more vcore when a lot of AVX code is being run through them and surprise surprise that's what Prime95 uses, switch to AIDA64 :)

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

STOP! Prime95 can kill Haswell CPUs.

They abuse the method that the processor deals with AVX codes. Basically Haswells are programmed to add more vcore when a lot of AVX code is being run through them and surprise surprise that's what Prime95 uses, switch to AIDA64 :)

I've looked all over the place to avoid asking a question that has already been answered but no one seems to know for sure. So I took your advice and am using AIDA 64, and my temps are a bit cooler. However, everyone says if you want to produce the most heat, disable all tests except FPU. With all other tests disabled, my high is 85c... but is that what I should be doing? I wish I could ask linus what he uses. Is an overclock not considered stable unless it can run FPU only for 24 hours? or does he / majority of people just run the avg test hitting the mem, cpu, cash, etc... Because temps are WAY lower when doing all tests vs just FPU, but I don't know if this is considered "Stable"

I've looked all over the place to avoid asking a question that has already been answered but no one seems to know for sure. So I took your advice and am using AIDA 64, and my temps are a bit cooler. However, everyone says if you want to produce the most heat, disable all tests except FPU. With all other tests disabled, my high is 85c... but is that what I should be doing? I wish I could ask linus what he uses. Is an overclock not considered stable unless it can run FPU only for 24 hours? or does he / majority of people just run the avg test hitting the mem, cpu, cash, etc... Because temps are WAY lower when doing all tests vs just FPU, but I don't know if this is considered "Stable"

Testing both is an accurate test. When using Prime95 you use blend mode. Meaning all cache (FPU) and CPU is tested. So the same should be done with AIDA64 (cpu+fpu). 

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Not sure if English isn't your native language, but you said bowel instead of bowl.

Bowl is what you put soup in.

Bowel is your butt, rectum, what poop comes from

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."