New Apple Watch details: Better battery Life, unannounced features and more

I'll keep it as short as possible, head over to the source for more info

Source:http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/06/sources-offer-hands-on-apple-watch-details-battery-life-unannounced-features-and-more/

Power Reserve and Battery Life

Sources who have handled the Apple Watch tell us that Apple has improved the device’s battery life, noting that the final Apple Watch should be able to handle 5 hours of fairly heavy application usage, and it and won’t run out of battery during a typical day of mixed active and passive use. However, the source says that the device will still need to be charged nightly, as it will definitely not last through a second full day.

As The New York Times reported, Apple will address battery life concerns with a new “Power Reserve Mode” that cuts optional services to preserve as much of the Apple Watch’s core functionality as possible. Power Reserve Mode can even be accessed when the Watch has a full 100% charge, and it is not solely activated when the Watch’s battery life is low. The mode noticeably dims the display, slows down communication with the iPhone to an on-demand level, and puts the display to sleep after roughly two seconds of inactivity.

Heart rate Glance

One notable yet-to-be-announced Apple Watch feature is the Heart Rate Glance. Thanks to the device’s heart rate monitor, the Heart Rate Glance will allow the user to see their Beats Per Minute at any time.

Our sources say that the process of reading the heart rate was almost instant and the readings were “seemingly accurate.” (unlike samsung's where you have to stand 10 second still without talking for accurate measurement otherwise I'm just dead)

Notifications and Glances

Our sources indicate that the following Glances are installed on the Apple Watch by default, in addition to Heart Rate and Battery Life: Fitness Stats, Activity, Clock, Weather, Music, Quick Settings, Calendar and Maps.

Onboard Storage

As Apple has announced, the Apple Watch will be able to store music that can be played while unlinked to an iPhone.

Prototype Apple Watches within Apple are said to include 8GB of storage; it is yet to be seen whether the shipping versions will all include 8GB.

Users will be able to specify individual songs, albums, and playlists to be loaded to their Apple Watches via a panel in the Companion app for iPhone. Users will also be able to stream music from the Apple Watch to external speakers or headphones over Bluetooth.

iPhone Companion App

As we extensively reported earlier this year, the settings for individual Apple Watch applications will be controlled by a Companion application on the iPhone.

In addition to controlling various settings and music storage, the Companion app allows users to re-arrange the icons on the Apple Watch’s Home screen. This can be done from the Watch itself as well via a long press, just like on the iPhone and iPad. 

Force Touch, Digital Crown & Voice

Sources have praised the Watch’s next-generation force-sensing touchscreen interface, saying that “the screen feels like a giant button than you just want to press in the manner needed for Force Touch.” A source added that the feature “feels natural” on the small screen.

Also, the Digital Crown input device is required to use the Apple Watch, as the Watch differs from the sixth-generation iPod nano in lacking pinch to zoom capabilities: it registers touches and movements up, down, left, and right. 

There is no keyboard at all on the device; all forms of input are handled with pre-populated options and voice dictation. Speaking of dictation, the menus within the Apple Watch label all voice control features as “Voice Control,” rather than as Siri.

Speed, Display & Sport band

People who have used the Apple Watch say that the device feels very fast overall, which is line with our report that the S1 chip is comparable with the current iPod touch’s A5 chip.

But there are limits. One source said that an Apple Watch with over 200 WatchKit applications became noticeably sluggish on the Home screen.

A designer familiar with the quality of mobile device screens who has used the Apple Watch says that the “screen is the best [smartwatch] screen I have ever seen,” noting that “it’s like vibrant digital paper, and does not look rendered,” with especially “great” black levels.

The source thinks that the smaller, 38mm version is “tiny,” but of course this will differ between users of different sizes.

Apple’s Sport Band, the default on the $349 aluminum Apple Watch, is said to “take time” to get used to as it is somewhat difficult to put on at first due to the pin-based closure system.

Powering Off, Force Quitting and Settings

Our sources say that it’s turned off by long pressing the large “communication button” on the right side of the Watch. When this is pressed, a confirmation slider akin to the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch is shown, letting a swipe finish the shut down.

Users can also Force Quit an unstable application by accessing the shut down screen and then quickly pressing the button on the right side.

The Apple Watch also includes a Settings application that includes various toggles including Bluetooth and Airplane Mode. There is not a dedicated Wi-Fi settings panel, which instead will likely be controlled by the accompanying iPhone.

I'm really excited for this device at I'm pretty sure Apple Watch will set the standard for smartwatches. I bolded those battery life stuff because the internet just panicked out over the initial reports when realistically most smartwatches does the same

apple-watch-hands-on.jpg?w=704&h=396

screenshot-2015-03-06-09-26-39.png?w=704

screenshot-2015-03-06-09-07-48.png?w=704

companion-161.jpg?w=236&h=391&crop=1  img_2192.png?w=220&h=391&crop=1  companion-41.jpg?w=236&h=391&crop=1

screenshot-2015-03-06-09-30-45.png?w=704

Cue incoming hysteria about the battery life without any actual numbers, even with this statement. 

38mm is small to me, but its huge for others. Something other OEMs have missed. Women especially don't want a huge watch on their relatively smaller wrists, the same way I also don't want a 44mm+ watch on mine. 42mm is a nice size for me, and a lot of people. Just like 38mm is. 

Its probably why Apple will see more market adoption out the gate. They aren't ignoring 50% of the demographic by not having a smaller size. Lets also be more honest, women have a better grasp of fashion than men on average, you want to ensure that something gets widespread adoption thats who you have to consider more so than your male demographic. 

-snip-

As a nano 6th gen owner, I won't consider buying an apple watch until they add a 3.5mm jack...  Also digital crown is stupid unless they make it into a joystick or something.

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

should have gone with a  cortex A5

the soc its its using is just too much

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

As a nano 6th gen owner, I won't consider buying an apple watch until they add a 3.5mm jack...  Also digital crown is stupid unless they make it into a joystick or something.

Do you really think its practical to fit in a 3.5mm headjack into that cramped little thing. You can use bluetooth for listening to music as stated by the sources though

Do you really think its practical to fit in a 3.5mm headjack into that cramped little thing. You can use bluetooth for listening to music as stated by the sources though

Works just fine on the nano.  You could actually replace that silly digital crown with it

Watch also needs to get rid of that silly new charging cable; lightning connector pls :)

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Its very practical, I'm another 6th gen owner lol. I have the Pebble too, but only being able to control music is limiting, and needing another device to go along the watch to listen to music is inconvenient(I bought bluetooth adapters for my iPod to prove my point).

Works just fine on the nano.  You could actually replace that silly digital crown with it

Watch also needs to get rid of that silly new charging cable; lightning connector pls :)

Digital crown is for navigation which the sources have praised. And i was talking about the amount of internal space it would take. 

It has wireless charging (Apple's the only one who calls it inductive charging though, lol) and its with magnets, so no ports or exposed contact pins

Its very practical, I'm another 6th gen owner lol. I have the Pebble too, but only being able to control music is limiting, and needing another device to go along the watch to listen to music is inconvenient(I bought bluetooth adapters for my iPod to prove my point).

But think about the amount of internal space it would take. i would definitely prefer a bigger battery than a headphone jack which my phone has

But think about the amount of internal space it would take. i would definitely prefer a bigger battery than a headphone jack which my phone has

Also let me add to this...

The main draw of a headphone port would be to use the watch while running but...your arms kinda move when running. You want to damage headphones, ears or watch by running that kind of configuration? Eh....

Bluetooth headphones. They make them for running. And if your phone is with you, plug in headphones there. 

We're not at the point yet where a watch is really going to supplant phone functions. Maybe a generation to allow for better batteries and more efficient sensors and connectivity so that devices don't entirely suck in the battery department. 

It's good that they're improving the battery life. It's still too short for me; but, you have to start somewhere. I look forward to getting real world results.

Digital crown is for navigation which the sources have praised. And i was talking about the amount of internal space it would take. 

It has wireless charging (Apple's the only one who calls it inductive charging though, lol) and its with magnets, so no ports or exposed contact pins

It's with magnets ?? I didn't know there was anyother way to make electrisy wireless other than magnets, is there another way or am I missing something ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

It's with magnets ?? I didn't know there was anyother way to make electrisy wireless other than magnets, is there another way or am I missing something ??

I don't now if you're sarcastic but

what I tried to imply with magnets was that they wouldn't be shipping a charging plate (which is what people think wireless charging as) with it rather they use a connector (that looks like every other ordinary connector) that uses induction for charging

I don't now if you're sarcastic but

what I tried to imply with magnets was that they wouldn't be shipping a charging plate (which is what people think wireless charging as) with it rather they use a connector (that looks like every other ordinary connector) that uses induction for charging

So basically a Qi charging dock but smaller that fits the watch perfectly ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Apple should have power straps made of aluminum,leather,stainless, and even 18k gold to vastly increase the battery life, but the second gen will be vastly better with 14nm cpu/gpu, l understand why they want to have a lot functionally for a new platform separate from ios.

People don't realize that the AW has many more sensors, plus WiFi, that all drain battery as well. Not to mention the constant movement tracking and uploading to your device; this is much more than an Apple-ized Android Wear watch.

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-had-to-cut-key-health-features-from-its-smartwatch-report/

I'll just leave this here and sit back and watch.

Personally, I love my Gear 2. Best watch I've ever owned, with more features than the entry-level Apple Watch is supposed to have.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-had-to-cut-key-health-features-from-its-smartwatch-report/

Personally, I love my Gear 2. Best watch I've ever owned, with more features than the entry-level Apple Watch is supposed to have.

yeah this was posted here long time ago and Linus also covered it during the WAN show

Sit and watch what? Apple axed features that were going to be implemented poorly. Features that people like HTC have also dropped. 

Apple wants to use more accurate pulse ox based sensors for HR, those aren't miniature enough to implement in the form factor Apple needs even though pulse ox is way more accurate. Screw them for willingly cutting a feature that wouldn't have been good? 

My Fitbit Surge has HR. If the apple Watch was going to have the sam HR tech, good riddance. This stuff becomes appallingly unreliable at higher HRs which defeats the purpose when using one especially for activities. 

I have a gear 2 2 and I don't think apple is anywhere close to be as good as Samsung's Tizen and Android where but like I've been saying for the last year now Apple overpriced underpowered and they don't have a chance against Android enthusiasts but Apple people and by no matter what people buy a rotten apple for just because of the logo and the celebrities out there that has it it's just that Apple has probably been paying the news industry to advertise for them they don't surprise me anymore its just I see Apple as a whole bunch of liars and that's my small rant for today have fun live long and prosper

Sit and watch what? Apple axed features that were going to be implemented poorly. Features that people like HTC have also dropped. 

Apple wants to use more accurate pulse ox based sensors for HR, those aren't miniature enough to implement in the form factor Apple needs even though pulse ox is way more accurate. Screw them for willingly cutting a feature that wouldn't have been good? 

My Fitbit Surge has HR. If the apple Watch was going to have the sam HR tech, good riddance. This stuff becomes appallingly unreliable at higher HRs which defeats the purpose when using one especially for activities. 

My "sit and watch" reference was in regards to the thread as a whole. I intended to follow it, because I'm genuinely curious as to what people have to say about the Apple Watch as a whole. Looking at the post now, I see that I worded it very poorly. I was leaving the article for people to reference and form their own opinions, ones I intended to read.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Apple stated it lasts up to 18 hours, but I think they know thats generous from the footnote on http://www.apple.com/watch/technology/

"Testing conducted by Apple in March 2015 using preproduction Apple Watch and software paired with an iPhone using preproduction software. Battery life varies by use and configuration; actual results will vary. See www.apple.com/batteries and www.apple.com/watch/battery.html for more information."

Just found this gem (in my opinion) of a well written criticizing article towards the Edition model.

http://www.cnet.com/news/apples-10000-question-how-to-stop-apple-watch-from-becoming-obsolete/

Happy to see some well written articles on Cnet again, to be honest.

***DISCLAIMER***

I know the Edition model isn't meant for your every day user, it's meant for people with more than enough money to spare that they can just dump it. It just irks me that Apple is actually ballsy enough to release a product that could easily cover the down payment on a house for most American families.

My post from antoher thread:

It also needs more features to be considered a premium or collectors watch. Cnet said it great (which is rare), in stating that the $17k (USD) watch is nothing but bragging rights. Honestly though, I'm getting sick of the "my d*ck is bigger than yours" mentality when it comes to posessions. Sadly, nobody will ever stop doing it..

http://www.cnet.com/news/apples-10000-question-how-to-stop-apple-watch-from-becoming-obsolete/

Pretty much sums up my feelings about Apple and their latest and greatest.