Is Windows 10 really a "free" upgrade?

Hi everyone,

This horse has probably already been beaten already, but will existing owners of Win7/8/8.1 really be able to upgrade to Win 10 for free? Forever? At zero cost? Within that year? Or is it just a "year trial" that will force you to buy it? Also, for users who do upgrade, what will happen to their existing CD key for their previous OS? They won't be running on it anymore, would it just transfer over as a Win 10 license? If I buy a new copy of Win 7 a week before Win 10 is released, would I still be able to upgrade? Any information will be much appreciated!

Current System Setup | Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D | CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @4.0GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) | Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X | SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250GB | HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair HX750W 80+ Gold | Display: Dell UltraSharp 24" U2414H | Headset: Tritton Kunai | Mouse: EtekCity Scroll X1 | Keyboard: Microsoft SideWinder X4 RED LED

yes it really will be a free upgrade*

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

Upgrade within a year of release, its yours forever.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

One thing I've always wondered is what if you upgrade to Win10 in the first year, then do a re-install. Does your License Key suddenly become a Windows 10 license, or are you stuck back using Windows 8? I've just never had a situation like this.

Free Upgrade Offer*

Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!  And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge. Sign up with your email today, and we will send you more information about Windows 10 and the upgrade offer in the coming months.

From microsoft's website

Stock coolers - The sound of bare minimum

One thing I've always wondered is what if you upgrade to Win10 in the first year, then do a re-install. Does your License Key suddenly become a Windows 10 license, or are you stuck back using Windows 8? I've just never had a situation like this.

Interesting question...

Interesting question...

Right?

Current System Setup | Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D | CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K @4.0GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Hydro Series | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 8GB (2x4GB) | Graphics Card: MSI Radeon R9 290X | SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250GB | HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB 7200rpm | PSU: Corsair HX750W 80+ Gold | Display: Dell UltraSharp 24" U2414H | Headset: Tritton Kunai | Mouse: EtekCity Scroll X1 | Keyboard: Microsoft SideWinder X4 RED LED

According to everything I've heard, yes. As long as you upgrade within a year of release.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Hypothetically: If someone had a cracked version of windows 7/8 and then wanted to upgrade to 10 would that work? Or is it time to spend money on 10 since future OSs might be free.

Carbon Fire ITX PCCPU: i7-4770K@3.8Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 660 Cpu Cooler Corsair H80i Mobo: Asus Maximnus VI Impact RAM: Corsair 16gb 1600MHz PSU: Corsair CX500 Modular SSD: 2x120gb HDD: Seagate 2TB Keyboard:Corsair K70 Mouse: Logitech G700  Case Modded Bitfenix Prodigy

From microsoft's website

Can I get a link to that?

Hypothetically: If someone had a cracked version of windows 7/8 and then wanted to upgrade to 10 would that work? Or is it time to spend money on 10 since future OSs might be free.

No, I think it turns the license into a Windows 10 license. And since you don't have a license you can't upgrade.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

No, I think it turns the license into a Windows 10 license. And since you don't have a license you can't upgrade.

bummer.

Carbon Fire ITX PCCPU: i7-4770K@3.8Ghz GPU: Asus GTX 660 Cpu Cooler Corsair H80i Mobo: Asus Maximnus VI Impact RAM: Corsair 16gb 1600MHz PSU: Corsair CX500 Modular SSD: 2x120gb HDD: Seagate 2TB Keyboard:Corsair K70 Mouse: Logitech G700  Case Modded Bitfenix Prodigy

You probably will get a Windows 10 key, but for the first year you can clean intall Windows 10 with your Windows 8 key.

In other words, when you upgrade or clean install with a Windows 8 key, you are granted a Windows 10 key. After a year, you can no longer use your Windows 8 key to upgrade or reinstall Windows 10. Make sure you take note of that new Windows 10 key!

Another senario would be that your Windows 8 key is linked to a Windows 10 key database, so your Windows 8 key becomes your Windows 10 key. After a year, there would be no more linking.

In both of these senarios, yes – Windows 10 is free. You will be granted a free Windows 10 key that you may use to reinstall Windows 10 indefinitly as long as there are validation servers.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Upgrade within a year of release, its yours forever.

wait i thought you get it free for one year and then you had to buy a copy of it

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Link: --> http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-free-year-windows-7-windows-8x-and-windows-phone-81-upgrades

This is my conspiracy theory;

Know facts thus far.

1. Windows 10 - Free Upgrade: This is so all personal computers from Win7 -> win8.1 to be upgraded to Windows10 (That means all current user base becomes windows 10, why not its free*)

2. *It's free only for the first year of release. They will update Windows 10 for its commercial life (sounds too good to be true)

3. The current CEO of Microsoft is a cloud guy (look it up) there is more money in subscription e.g. Office 365

4. Recently Microsoft trademarked "Windows 365"

My Thoughts:

They are going to pull the same stunt they have done with Office 365. Standalone copy of Windows 10 will be more expensive than the subscription model. Forcing people now to subscribe to an OS. They already making sure all other services are in place to justify it.

1. Rope people into yearly subscription of office (why its cheaper and you can install on 5 computers)

2. OneDrive will contain all you documents and Windows 8.1 already backups all documents to that service

3. Announcement of a new web browser (Spartan)

4. There is a reason why Steam is going down SteamOS - So the options are open.

in the last 30 years Microsoft has never failed to disappoint.

wait i thought you get it free for one year and then you had to buy a copy of it

From the microsoft page:

Great news! We will offer a free upgrade to Windows 10 for qualified new or existing Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone 8.1 devices that upgrade in the first year!  And even better: once a qualified Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it up to date for the supported lifetime of the device, keeping it more secure, and introducing new features and functionality over time – for no additional charge. Sign up with your email today, and we will send you more information about Windows 10 and the upgrade offer in the coming months.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

From the microsoft page:

i guess i read it wrong then cause i thought it said that it will be a free upgrade for one year and then you had to go back to windows 7 or 8 or 8.1 or buy it

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Link: --> http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/windows-10-free-year-windows-7-windows-8x-and-windows-phone-81-upgrades

Know facts thus far.

1. Windows 10 - Free Upgrade: This is so all personal computers from Win7 -> win8.1 to be upgraded to Windows10 (That means all current user base becomes windows 10, why not its free*)

2. *It's free only for the first year of release. They will update Windows 10 for its commercial life (sounds too good to be true)

3. The current CEO of Microsoft is a cloud guy (look it up) there is more money in subscription e.g. Office 365

My Thoughts:

They are going to pull the same stunt they have done with Office 365. Standalone copy of Windows 10 will be more expensive than the subscription model. Forcing people now to subscribe to an OS. They already making sure all other services are in place to justify it.

1. Rope people into yearly subscription of office (why its cheaper and you can install on 5 computers)

2. OneDrive will contain all you documents and Windows 8.1 already backups all documents to that service

Yessssss, I was waiting for someone to bring this up

Know facts thus far.

My Thoughts:

Yessssss, I was waiting for someone to bring this up

Its free to upgrade during the first year. After that if you haven't upgraded to it you'll have to pay for it. Microsoft said they wanted to do a macOS type of model where theres a free software update every year instead of a whole new product that you have to buy.

• 3 weeks later...