Australian ISP's to Introduce 3 Strike Anti Piracy Scheme

Geldar

I live in North Adelaide and it is one of the sole suburbs in the country that has Cable Internet (not strictly ADSL). I get over 120mbps. 

The entire country was supposed to get this, (where applicable) but the green party got all shitty when a few trees were uprooted to make way for the cable laying. 

Now no government since has had the balls to re-instate the operation. But somehow, NBN is getting away with it. Fucking ridiculous.

120mbps far out. Looks like I know where I'm moving to.

So to determine if you are actually stealing they can look through your personal information and details for their "stuff". That's the only way they can possibly know if you pirating something.

This world is so fucked up. -_-

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

ahh not another thing that i have to deal with, wooo 128KBps down 10KBps up ftw trying to play csgo

that's not nice Australia, not nice at all.  How can anyone bother pirating with those isp speeds and caps?  that should be a deterrent in itself. 

LOL!!  I wonder if there's going to a massive exodus to Northern Adelaide for its 120mbs and hopefully no caps?

Good luck trying to run a VPN in australia

I run one just fine.

lol fuck off you silly cunts

we already pay $220/mo for barely megabit and a 200gb cap and now this?

bad joke.

You need to change providers. I get 200g + home phone and mobile for

$139 a month through telstra.

Telstra completely blocked me from using P2P.

A VPN fixes that, but it's terribly slow. 

I use telstra and am not blocked with or without a full speed vpn.  It really comes down to where you are.

Does anyone know is it just the two main ISP's Telstra and Optus who are going to follow this, or are all going to follow this?

All ISPs, it has been proposed by an industry body,  I can't see it being adopted though because the handing of customer records to a third party without that customers consent is against Australia's privacy laws.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

*ahem* They can go and get fucked. And so can those who say high internet speeds encourage piracy. We've got shitty internet nearly everywhere and it doesn't stop people. (Shitty includes deliberate blackspots made by telstra to force people to get reamed up the ass for shit mobile internet)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

120mbps far out. Looks like I know where I'm moving to.

lol. But seriously, because of the incomplete rollout there are less than 50 households in total in the state that have it IIRC. I was just EXTREMELY lucky.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Does anyone know is it just the two main ISP's Telstra and Optus who are going to follow this, or are all going to follow this?

Idk but I doubt iinet are going to put up with such a bs scheme lol

lol. But seriously, because of the incomplete rollout there are less than 50 households in total in the state that have it IIRC. I was just EXTREMELY lucky.

Yeah you are one lucky guy. Your house would be worth more because of it.

Telstra completely blocked me from using P2P.

A VPN fixes that, but it's terribly slow. 

What, What?! They blocked you from using Peer2Peer?

Peer to peer file sharing doesn't always have to be illegal, many LEGAL downloads on the internet like some update/patch files use peer to peer to lessen the load on their servers and because it's generally faster.

Stupid telstra! stupid Australian ISP's!

Google fiber please save us! (That's never going to happen)

magnet links?

ISP would only be aware of the size of the download, maybe even the website. then again, they can't take you to court for downloading a large file from a sketchy website. Torrents are not illegal.

Actually because Aussie laws are so fucked up, they have ALL of the meta data info on you. And they are legally obliged to keep it for 2 FUCKING YEARS.

This whole thing is sketch as balls, I might become a politician and shove it in their arses because the current pollies here are a bunch of useless old hags, who don't understand how technology works and how it is good for the fucking economy.

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

Idk but I doubt iinet are going to put up with such a bs scheme lol

They are on the committee who are writing the code. 

They are on the committee who are writing the code. 

Od since they have won multiple lawsuits against Hollywood for piracy and also have vocally stated this is not there job. don't know what is going on there but i know alot of people have gone with iinet for the reason that they fight for the consumer in things like this :S don't know what the "code" even means though.

This is true, i wonder if using a vpn to download the torrent files then turning off the vpn to actually download them would be enough?

using the VPN to download the metadata of the torrent/magnetlink? sure, although I don't know how torrents work (deep knowledge)

however, I know it's P2P. so once you've gathered the necessary data from the website, everything else comes from a horde of PCs around the world; peer 2 peer.

If you're REALLY worried about it, I'd say do it. VPN into the website, get the magnetlink, download link data, pause download, disable VPN, and resume download.

should work, but its a lot of work :P

aed324bc3a56508a72ad2d149bb862ba.pngCan you feel the unlimited allowance? That's BT for ya <3

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

lol fuck off you silly cunts

we already pay $220/mo for barely megabit and a 200gb cap and now this?

bad joke.

Holy crap you are getting screwed, even for Aussie standards, who are you with?

I get around 12Mb/s and unlimited downloads with home phone for $60/month on TPG.

Rig: MSI X370 SLI-Plus | Ryzen 7 1700X | ASUS GTX1070 | Corsair Vengeance 32gb DDR4 3000mhz | Corsair RM750i PSU | Samsung EVO 960 256GB NVMe SSD | Samsung EVO 860 1TB SSD | NZXT S340 Elite Case | Custom Water Loop

I get around 12Mb/s and unlimited downloads with home phone for $60/month on TPG.

telstra

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

I'm in Mandurah, 70klms sth of Perth Western Australia.

I'm with iiNet on their NBN package of 100/40 Mbps 1Tb download cap for $120 per month.

Speedtest done right now at 11pm my time on Ookla to a Sydney server is "Ping 57ms" "Download 13.91Mbps" Upload 8.32Mbps"

Thats on Wireless AC from the iiNet BuddiiLite modem prob about 20mtrs away...

I have seen as high as 30Mbps downloads, but thats about it.

My LG G2 gets 54ms, 26.15Mbps, & 28.43Mbps on the same Wireless AC. Sitting right next to my PC

Having a 3-strikes policy is one thing.

However, those rules are FUCKED UP.

Charging the CONSUMER $25 to dispute a strike/claim? What the actual fuck is that? NO! It should cost the Copyright holder $25 to submit a claim.

No ability to appeal/challenge a decision?

Can anyone tell me if this has actually passed, and become law yet? The OP says "proposed", which leads me to believe the scheme will still need to be passed by the House/Parliament/etc.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Having a 3-strikes policy is one thing.

However, those rules are FUCKED UP.

Charging the CONSUMER $25 to dispute a strike/claim? What the actual fuck is that? NO! It should cost the Copyright holder $25 to submit a claim.

No ability to appeal/challenge a decision?

Can anyone tell me if this has actually passed, and become law yet? The OP says "proposed", which leads me to believe the scheme will still need to be passed by the House/Parliament/etc.

It has been proposed by a private body, at the moment it is open for public submissions, It will be submitted to the government (and the end of the year I believe).  I can't see it passing, there are sections that directly contradict current consumer law,  passing on private information without consent or court order,  monitoring the content of data and websites usage, and imposing fines and charges for activities alleged to have happened not actually determined by a court.  

Some of us can't get TPG or iinet because we are rural, however the 200Gb plan from telstra is only $90 a month so he probably has options on that service like foxtel or t-box and some other services like mobiles.  I get 16Mb/s rural with telstra for $90 including home phone.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

So in other words poor bastards living in Australia will get ripped of + SOPA/PIPA + NSA package included with any internet connection,and a very high chance of false pozitives and fines/bail/jail time?

No riots yet?

So in other words poor bastards living in Australia will get ripped of + SOPA/PIPA + NSA package included with any internet connection,and a very high chance of false pozitives and fines/bail/jail time?

No riots yet?

Oh, there will be.

PMSL

No riots yet?

We are actually quite an advanced culture with technology, we don't riot. We start a social networking campaign, paint the sides of ambulances and get the CFA to protest at the polling booths and have the government voted out at the election.

We are actually quite an advanced culture with technology, we don't riot. We start a social networking campaign, paint the sides of ambulances and get the CFA to protest at the polling booths and have the government voted out at the election.

Don't forget that we then have the new government break their promises completely. (Eg. Gillard, and the Carbon Tax).

PMSL