Australian ISP's to Introduce 3 Strike Anti Piracy Scheme

Geldar

The internet situation in Australia is so out of hand. I can't believe the shit you guys still deal with.

Don't forget that we then have the new government break their promises completely. (Eg. Gillard, and the Carbon Tax).

I think they always did, it's just we have the 24/7 internet news to blow it all out of proportion and tell us how bad it is.  Although having said that the carbon tax was a major one and shouldn't have happened.

Some of my faith in the system was restored when the  current government removed it and my power company actually credited my account $26 dollars for the 2 months they charged it from the time it was abolished.  Which means somewhere along the line the system worked and what the government said would happen actually happened.  Not only that but my power tariff did actually go down.  But I could write pages and pages on the debacle of the carbon tax.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Od since they have won multiple lawsuits against Hollywood for piracy and also have vocally stated this is not there job. don't know what is going on there but i know alot of people have gone with iinet for the reason that they fight for the consumer in things like this :S don't know what the "code" even means though.

by code i mean this 3 strikes bull crap

members of the panel include iinet, optus, telstra and vodafone 

I'm in Mandurah, 70klms sth of Perth Western Australia.

I'm with iiNet on their NBN package of 100/40 Mbps 1Tb download cap for $120 per month.

Speedtest done right now at 11pm my time on Ookla to a Sydney server is "Ping 57ms" "Download 13.91Mbps" Upload 8.32Mbps"

Thats on Wireless AC from the iiNet BuddiiLite modem prob about 20mtrs away...

I have seen as high as 30Mbps downloads, but thats about it.

My LG G2 gets 54ms, 26.15Mbps, & 28.43Mbps on the same Wireless AC. Sitting right next to my PC

The 'high' ping and low speed is probably to do with the wireless not the NBN.

Also doing a speed test to sydney means u are using the interstate links which are not vest fast in the grand scheme of things. try a speed test to perth.

Australia has the worst net overall, If we had proper 100mbps download speeds already things wouldn't be so bad. They will have 1gbps by the time we get anything decent here. I am barely pulling 600kbps on steam it's absolutely disgusting.

4179263517.png

This is what I'm getting at the moment. 

Unlimited Data $90 P/Month + Home Phone

|CPU: Intel 5960X|MOBO:Rampage V Extreme|GPU:EVGA 980Ti SC 2 - Way SLI|RAM:G-Skill 32GB|CASE:900D|PSU:CorsairAX1200i|DISPLAY :Dell U2412M X3|SSD Intel 750 400GB, 2X Samsung 850 Pro|

Peripherals : | MOUSE : Logitech G602 | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) | NAS: Synology DS1515+  - WD RED 3TB X 5|ROUTER: AC68U

Sound : | HEADPHONES: Sennheiser HD800 SPEAKERS: B&W CM9 (Front floorstanding) ,  B&W CM Center 2 (Centre) | AV RECEIVER : Denon 3806 | MY X99 BUILD LOG!

The reason why Australian's torrent so much is because all the tv shows and movies we want to watch aren't available here, and even if you the show is on tv it is usually seasons behind. Give us Netflix for a reasonable price and give us all the tv shows that aren't available here, and the rates of tv show and movie piracy will drop.

The reason why Australian's torrent so much is because all the tv shows and movies we want to watch aren't available here, and even if you the show is on tv it is usually seasons behind. Give us Netflix for a reasonable price and give us all the tv shows that aren't available here, and the rates of tv show and movie piracy will drop.

Or we could tell the content producers to get their asses into gear, and make them realize that they wouldn't have so many issues if they didn't favour certain countries (eg. America).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

lol fuck off you silly cunts

we already pay $220/mo for barely megabit and a 200gb cap and now this?

bad joke.

Your getting ripped insane im on Telstra pay $120/mo 500gb cap 11mbps from 1am to 3pm during the week and then it goes to maybe 2mbps if im lucky because of the horrible congestion. but really $220 you must have like all foxtel channels and shit.

We've had this in NZ for a couple of years and people now are downloading more than ever.

The problem with Australian internet is something not many people know about. Telstra (also know as the motherfuckers sho rip you off with shitty service and internet), was government owned until the 1980s-90s. When they broke up, they owned EVERY SINGLE INTERNET AND PHONE LINE IN THE COUNTRY. The unfortunate part of this, is that they have such a huge monopoly of the country, that no other company has bothered or payed for new cables. So, as they don't need to spend the money on better cables, they haven't. Only recently have iiNet started laying a couple of cables down in some locations, but it is hard with current restrictions, regulations and Telstra always coming after you in one way or another.

Or we could tell the content producers to get their asses into gear, and make them realize that they wouldn't have so many issues if they didn't favour certain countries (eg. America).

Exactly, if they distributed their shows internationally and not just America, then we would have no reason to pirate.

It has been proposed by a private body, at the moment it is open for public submissions, It will be submitted to the government (and the end of the year I believe).  I can't see it passing, there are sections that directly contradict current consumer law,  passing on private information without consent or court order,  monitoring the content of data and websites usage, and imposing fines and charges for activities alleged to have happened not actually determined by a court.  

Some of us can't get TPG or iinet because we are rural, however the 200Gb plan from telstra is only $90 a month so he probably has options on that service like foxtel or t-box and some other services like mobiles.  I get 16Mb/s rural with telstra for $90 including home phone.

Your getting ripped insane im on Telstra pay $120/mo 500gb cap 11mbps from 1am to 3pm during the week and then it goes to maybe 2mbps if im lucky because of the horrible congestion. but really $220 you must have like all foxtel channels and shit.

no fox or t-box bullshiet.   i live on the same street as the exchange too and almost noone on this street has an internet connection, only about 3 or 4 so i guess they don't give a shit about us :S

we might be switching isps soon, whoever has unlimited for better price and decent speeds (suggestions? will also browse whirlpool, they seem to know their shit). cable not avaliable in my area unfortunately and nbn was coming here but is canned :/

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

It's not just that we have the Foxtel monopoly, Which is why the NBN was lobbied against as this would provide a true alternative to the Cable/satellite provider. NEtflix isn't the holy grail as Foxtel has sole rights to GOT.

Anyhow the solution for downloaders is VPN and a seedbox. Instantly all that traffic is not on your connection and you download from the seedbox via encrypted VPN. I did this and I was able to drop down to a cheaper plan so end result all up it casts me a extra $5 for the extra layers of protection.

It's not just that we have the Foxtel monopoly, Which is why the NBN was lobbied against as this would provide a true alternative to the Cable/satellite provider. NEtflix isn't the holy grail as Foxtel has sole rights to GOT.

Anyhow the solution for downloaders is VPN and a seedbox. Instantly all that traffic is not on your connection and you download from the seedbox via encrypted VPN. I did this and I was able to drop down to a cheaper plan so end result all up it casts me a extra $5 for the extra layers of protection.

Yes, there was speculation that the NBN was built slower so it wouldn't threaten Foxtel. That is ridiculous that everyone should have to deal with slower fiber speeds, just so Foxtel don't lose some of its customers.

Yes, there was speculation that the NBN was built slower so it wouldn't threaten Foxtel. That is ridiculous that everyone should have to deal with slower fiber speeds, just so Foxtel don't lose some of its customers.

Don't forget that Foxtel is Telstra after all.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

no fox or t-box bullshiet.   i live on the same street as the exchange too and almost noone on this street has an internet connection, only about 3 or 4 so i guess they don't give a shit about us :S

we might be switching isps soon, whoever has unlimited for better price and decent speeds (suggestions? will also browse whirlpool, they seem to know their shit). cable not avaliable in my area unfortunately and nbn was coming here but is canned :/

All DSL internet is delivered through the same copper and hardware at the exchange.  In most cases if one ISP can't get your speed up than none can.   Also you might want to check your bill, because you are definitely paying for something you are not using.  The 200G plan from telstra is $90.  

Also the nbn hasn't been canned, just hit a few hiccups, if your area can't sustain DSL speeds then it will be upgraded before areas like mine that can sustain 15Mb/s.  (until they change there mind again) Another thing to remember is the last government started a whole lot of regions on paper so they could say they have already started work in most area's,  the new government simply said unless dirt has been physically turned then work hasn't started and the area will go into the que. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

4179263517.png

This is what I'm getting at the moment. 

Unlimited Data $90 P/Month + Home Phone

4179514388.png

See I pay about the same for mine and I get these speeds. Country town life.

Just another conspiracy like the millions of others running around.   Also one, I might add, that is not really well thought out,  faster internet is not going to stop people from subscribing to foxtel. In fact foxtel's biggest threat is free to air (which is why the footy is only broadcast in SD on free to air) and netflix/hulu type arrangements.

Just another conspiracy like the millions of others running around.   Also one, I might add, that is not really well thought out,  faster internet is not going to stop people from subscribing to foxtel. In fact foxtel's biggest threat is free to air (which is why the footy is only broadcast in SD on free to air) and netflix/hulu type arrangements.

True, free to air is a huge threat to Foxtel, but Netflix would destroy Foxtel's movie channels having almost any every movie on demand, well Foxtel just can't compete with that. I still don't think Foxtel is going anywhere, anytime soon they have a lot of decent sports channels for people who want to watch sports other than football and cricket, as well as their documentary channels like Discovery which are pretty good.

True, free to air is a huge threat to Foxtel, but Netflix would destroy Foxtel's movie channels having almost any every movie on demand, well Foxtel just can't compete with that. I still don't think Foxtel is going anywhere, anytime soon they have a lot of decent sports channels for people who want to watch sports other than football and cricket, as well as their documentary channels like Discovery which are pretty good.

I think netflix would be awesome for Australia, it would force foxtel to drop their prices to something reasonable,  who wants to pay $60 a month to watch the same 5 movies over and over?

I think netflix would be awesome for Australia, it would force foxtel to drop their prices to something reasonable,  who wants to pay $60 a month to watch the same 5 movies over and over?

Exactly, Foxtel is a huge monopoly and it would finally force them to drop their prices. Netflix will be really awesome but only if it keeps its low price like in America, and we get the same tv show and movie as the American netflix.

I'm paying $90/month to Westnet (iiNet) for 300GB/month at upto ADSL 2 (20/1mbps down/up) but I'm capped at ADSL 1 speeds of 8032kbps down & 384kbps up (these are the actual numbers reported by my ADSL2+-capable modem) due to Hellstra's fucking ancient phone exchange in this village (of ~300 people), an exchange they ain't fucking likely to upgrade/replace until either the NBN rolls out here, the NBN folds completely, or we as a township fork over the bullshit-levels of money to force Hellstra to fix their broken-arse shit.

Yeah, like this'll stop anything.