hdd/ssd Hot swap capable , PCI/PCIe expansion slot

ahhming

VisionTek today announced the new VisionTek DriveXpander 2.5" drive expansion slot adapter. Designed to fit any full-sized PCI or PCIe expansion slot, the DriveXpander enables data transfer speeds up to 600MB/s from bare drives with nearly any Windows based PC desktop or OS X based 2006-2012 Mac Pro.

80a.jpg
80c.jpg
80b.jpg

Patented Design Assures Trouble-Free Use
The DriveXpander features a patented non-scratch SATA (NSS) connector that makes a direct connection with a drive's connector leads so users can install and eject a drive over 50,000 times with confidence. A perforated backplate and open cage design also ensures trouble-free drive use by providing effective passive drive cooling.

Only $19.99 MSRP, the DriveXpander includes all data and power cables required for Plug and Play operation and is available immediately directly from VisionTek, select e-tailers such as Amazon, Tiger Direct, and Dell; and national distributors such as Ingram Micro and D&H.

source:

http://www.techpowerup.com/210238/visiontek-introduces-drivexpander-2-5-inch-drive-expansion-slot-adapter.html

Looks pretty nice, but i cant think of a reason why someone would buy it unless they REALLY need storage. I mean it takes up a PCI-E slot, and because its at the back, you might as well go with an internal one because it doesnt take up space and and you are really unlikely to use up all the sata plugs.

How many computer programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

None, that's a hardware problem.  :D

600MB/s?

So much pointlessness.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

600MB/s?

So much pointlessness.

Not if you want to quickly make a clone or backup of an internal SSD. 

There are also some other possibilities.  If you have an identical setup in 2 locations (divorced parents perhaps?) it can be handy to just put the OS and programs on an SSD and put such bays on each PC so you can use the same OS wherever you are.

Wow that is a really good price. And would be very useful in some of my servers as they don't have many drive bays but plenty pci slots

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Not if you want to quickly make a clone or backup of an internal SSD. 

There are also some other possibilities.  If you have an identical setup in 2 locations (divorced parents perhaps?) it can be handy to just put the OS and programs on an SSD and put such bays on each PC so you can use the same OS wherever you are.

Yeah ignore me, I derped and missed the whole hotswap feature, I thought this was a completely fixed installation.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

This is a good idea.

I would get one if my CoolerMaster 690 II (and 690 III for that matter) didn't already have an integrated hot-swap bay on the top of the case, which is actually more convenient.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Looks pretty nice, but i cant think of a reason why someone would buy it unless they REALLY need storage. I mean it takes up a PCI-E slot, and because its at the back, you might as well go with an internal one because it doesnt take up space and and you are really unlikely to use up all the sata plugs.

Think of SSD's like super-sized (in both senses), super-speed usb flash drives and then you may start to get the point. I use a Crucial M4 that used to be my OS drive to carry crap around the house from my bro's pc to my mom's etc. because we all happen to have hot-swap bays. So much faster than any usb 2.0 flash drive, and 3.0 flash drives are so expensive you might as well just get an SSD...

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Think of SSD's like super-sized (in both senses), super-speed usb flash drives and then you may start to get the point. I use a Crucial M4 that used to be my OS drive to carry crap around the house from my bro's pc to my mom's etc. because we all happen to have hot-swap bays. So much faster than any usb 2.0 flash drive, and 3.0 flash drives are so expensive you might as well just get an SSD...

Yeah, except is at the rear and takes up a pci-e slot. Thats why i think its redundant. There are plenty of front panel hotswap bays that are far more accessible, and more practical.

How many computer programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

None, that's a hardware problem.  :D

Yeah, except is at the rear and takes up a pci-e slot. Thats why i think its redundant. There are plenty of front panel hotswap bays that are far more accessible, and more practical.

True, but then you need to have room in the front. 

08_frnt_vw.jpg

600MB/s?

So much pointlessness.

key word is hotswap. Some newer cases don't have 5.25" bays. If I still used a Corsair 450d I would get an ICY DOCK 5.25" to 8 2.5" hotswap bay, not that I need hotswap for 8 drives but that it is a superior storage solution to the ones provided in the 450d, I would utilize hotswap on some drives. But currently using a NZXT S340 I will be buying this.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Interesting drive bay. This is a very niche product, that's already in a niche market (Hot swap drive bays).

For 99% of people, a front-optical mounted hot-swap bay is going to be far more useful. The fact that you have to reach around to the back of your PC to swap this out makes it very cumbersome and not very user friendly.

But, for those users who've used up all the space at the front of their case, this might be a nice addition.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I mobilized my OS with my ssd and a usb3 enclosure for 19 dollars.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

As someone who makes 4k 3D animations and high resolution models I would actually use this... If it wasn't in such an awkward place. Really like the idea though! It's a nice way to add HDD space in a micro ATX case while getting rid of the stock HDD cages. Might use for the micro atx pc my brother wants me to build for him.

SSD not included :D

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

A better hot swap solution than on the Corsair air 540.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs