The Only Safe Place to Buy a Windows PC is the Microsoft Store

ximg_54e6b1eceeb5f.jpg.pagespeed.ic.FPJW

Lenovo’s been shipping Superfish on their PCs for months. This is a security disaster, and it shows how little PC manufacturers actually care about your PC’s security. There’s only one way to ensure your new PC is actually safe to use.

Manufacturers truly don't care what kind of junk they shove on their computers. They never have, even with Lenovo shitting the bed they probably won't do much to stop including junk with their PCs. 

Probably the best part of the Microsoft stores is that they have their Signature Edition computers because they cut out all the useless junk for stuff that matters. Some people might say that borders on MS going back to "anti-trust" levels of shenanigans by deciding what a PC includes, but this only applies to stuff sold out of their stores and their stores carry all manner of manufacturers who are willing to comply with what they want. 

One of the more impressive parts of OS X and Chrome OS is that they just don't include junkware. They probably never will. And thats a good thing for consumers. 

But Microsoft does care about “Signature PCs” that you can buy from the Microsoft Store. When you buy a computer from the Microsoft Store — either one of Microsoft’s physical stores, or the Microsoft Store website online — you’re guaranteed to get a “Signature Edition” of that computer. Microsoft controls the software that ships on these PCs, and they strip out the worst stuff to ensure you have a clean copy of Windows with only useful utilities and drivers.

So, if you want a safe Windows PC, buy it from the Microsoft Store. And yes, Microsoft offers a wide variety of Windows PCs, not just their own Surface line.

No, we’re not bought and paid for by Microsoft. But, if you want a Windows PC, you might as well get it straight from Microsoft and prevent those Windows hardware manufacturers from messing things up too badly. Microsoft will only guarantee you a clean copy of Windows if you go through them.

http://www.howtogeek.com/210249/the-only-safe-place-to-buy-a-windows-pc-is-the-microsoft-store/

I make my own Signature Editions, if you catch my drift.

But seriously, I like this approach. Probably won't buy a device there though, they don't have the next Windows device I'd like to buy.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Why not find one without windows preinstalled and get the OS separately... sure it costs a bit more, but you'll be safer that way...

or switch over to linux...

...or just fresh install Windows?

Some manufacturers put the installer in a partition on the HDD... the installer comes pacakged with all your unwanted software... I had the misfortune of encountering such PCs in my work... and yes they are indeed a pain to work with...

its a good approche. for people who don'T know much about computers. if its free of charge when you buy it (not like 10$ extra for removing the junk) its good.

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

-snip-

Yeah right because I can build a laptop, tablet, 3 in 1, 2 in 1 right ??

883eeecfdec28febd736510b0bfe93add9f9eb22

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Cause everyone who needs a laptop or tablet is building their own laptops and tablets, right? 

-snip

forgive me, when I hear "buy your PC at a microsoft store only" I hear desktop. I don't do laptops, nothing wrong with others using them, I just have no need or desire for them.

Also, why would you buy a laptop directly from MS when there are obviously better ones from people like ASUS and MSI out there, just sayin...

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Cause everyone who needs a laptop or tablet is building their own laptops and tablets, right? 

I wipe every laptop I buy before using it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

forgive me, when I hear "buy your PC at a microsoft store only" I hear desktop. I don't do laptops, nothing wrong with others using them, I just have no need or desire for them

who the hell makes a pre-built Windows-based desktop PC? enlighten me please, I didn't know these existed. I thought it was just laptops and tablets that came pre-built... I mean I get pre-assembled, sure - but pre-BUILT!? As in sealed-for-life windows desktop machines!?

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

883eeecfdec28febd736510b0bfe93add9f9eb22

wipe the laptop. Herp derp.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

who the hell makes a pre-built Windows-based desktop PC? enlighten me please, I didn't know these existed. I thought it was just laptops and tablets that came pre-built... I mean I get pre-assembled, sure - but pre-BUILT!? As in sealed-for-life windows desktop machines!?

I didn't realize that prebuilt means something different than pre-assembled. This is news to me.

Download the ISO?

To do that, you'll either have to find some way to extract the license key (I've seen PCs with genuine windows without the stickers, especially the newer ones) or go full jack sparrow...

youre_serious_futurama.gif

Just build your own, buy the OS, and be happy. Prebuilts are shit.

Good luck building your own laptop.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I actually don't get why would you want to buy a windows PC. You should have the option to buy a PC only without OS or without it being preinstalled, fuck this concept of "windows PC" even if you ignore prebuilt manufacturer nonsense you're still not allowing me to buy a windows PC with the windows version I want which is Windows 7 so even Microsoft themselves get it wrong forcing people into windows 8 and cannot be trusted not to do the same after 10 for example if 11 turns out to be another piece of shit.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I actually don't get why would you want to buy a windows PC. You should have the option to buy a PC only without OS or without it being preinstalled, fuck this concept of "windows PC" even if you ignore prebuilt manufacturer nonsense you're still not allowing me to buy a windows PC with the windows version I want which is Windows 7 so even Microsoft themselves get it wrong forcing people into windows 8 and cannot be trusted not to do the same after 10 for example if 11 turns out to be another piece of shit.

Well, 8 wasn't a disaster. 10 is being well received by almost everyone and Windows 11 doesn't even exist right now so what are you on about? 

You want the option, thats fine. do you think the bulk of consumers want to put up with that kind of headache? No. They want to buy a box, open the box, plug in the power and have the laptop just work. Thats the market that you're after. You're not after tinkerers or enthusiasts. Those people come and go and you don't build empires based on people who are on the fringes. 

To do that, you'll either have to find some way to extract the license key (I've seen PCs with genuine windows without the stickers, especially the newer ones) or go full jack sparrow...

There's a lot of sofftware for extracting the key either from the BIOS or the existing install. The PCs that don't come with a CoA are actuyally the ones with the key in the BIOS, which the Windows installer will detect automagically.

Right-click on Computer and view Properties?

Product ID and Product Key are not the same thing.

The keys usually baked into the OS and can be read fairly easy either through the control panel or a 3rd party utility, which you can then use in your "new Windows install" and if its not accepted, you just tell MS that you had to do a restore and they'll activate it for you anyways. Thats how I used to do it on my very old Dell whenever I reinstalled a OS from scratch and used the original CD key. 

forgive me, when I hear "buy your PC at a microsoft store only" I hear desktop. I don't do laptops, nothing wrong with others using them, I just have no need or desire for them.

Also, why would you buy a laptop directly from MS when there are obviously better ones from people like ASUS and MSI out there, just sayin...

I think you actually need to read this time as I think you read nothing and just jumped to conclusions, they don't just sell there devices they sell other manufactures devices like Acer or Asus source, why would by it from them ??? now you just proven that you read nothing, you would by from them to get the signature edition which has no junkware or trialware source.

Come on Trik you disappointed me.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Good luck building your own laptop.

Once again, I don't do laptops. I deem them to be a waste of my money, no problem with others using them, I just don't. I was talking about desktops.

Apparently Prebuilt only refers to laptops now, which doesn't make any sense to me.

Fresh install is the way to go when buying pre-built computers. (and kinda the only way when building one)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

I get what you are saying, but .... fuck this @Victorious Secret already did a good job explaining.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Dude or m8, HP PCs for example are pre-built as they come to you pre-built.

@Trik'Stari

I think he is wrong.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

I think you actually need to read this time as I think you read nothing and just jumped to conclusions, they don't just sell there devices they sell other manufactures devices like Acer or Asus source, why would by it from them ??? no you just proven that you read nothing, you would by from them to get the signature edition which has no junkware or trialware source.

Come on Trik you disappointed me.

And I wonder what the markup on that "signature edition" is.

And no, I didn't read, I DO NOT CARE ABOUT LAPTOPS. My original comment was about desktops, which yes was inaccurate, but still a valid point.

Fresh install is the way to go when buying pre-built computers. (and kinda the only way when building one)

This^ although you'd probably have to buy an extra OS disk for a laptop, betting the "Recovery" disk comes with bloatware preinstalled.

Dude or m8, HP PCs for example are pre-built as they come to you pre-built.

@Trik'Stari

I think he is wrong.

That is exactly what my original comment was referring to. Those crap ass towers you see for 500-1200 in best buy, that are absolute junk.