Why are people still using SMS in 2015?

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

SMS works well. iMessage should become open source though, so that it can be used across all platforms. But we all know Apple would never do that.

Something similar that is as well built in as iMessage is to iOS, we need for other(all) platforms because it is much faster.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

SMS works well. iMessage should become open source though, so that it can be used across all platforms. But we all know Apple would never do that.

Something similar that is as well built in as iMessage is to iOS, we need for other(all) platforms because it is much faster.

iMessages is nice, but it's not all that great. If 2 iPhones users are texting each other, and the receiving one doesn't have an data connection, the message won't go through SMS. It will wait till you're on wifi or back on 3G to be delievred... 

That's the problem with people switching to Android and don't get their message anymore. They need to turn off iMessages so it goes through SMS. If it was a little bit better, it would check if the message has been delivred to the phone, if not, fall back on SMS. That way, people switching would still be receiving their text as SMS. 

But yeah, if it was open to other plaform, that would be a good solution. Still requires data though... 

Security is also a reason.

SMS is more secure than using Facebook or Skype.

Depends how you define security.

Messages are basically sent in plain text to the carrier, so anyone there can read and look up your messages. And they do store them for quite a long time. And all of them are available to subpoena if the government wants it.

Not to mention cloning a sim card to steal peoples call information and texts is pretty simple.

More secure? maybe. But not enough that you should be sending anything you dont want other people to see.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

I hate seeing the green messaging bubbles on my iPhone when I text non iPhones. iMessage is just way faster (especially when sending pictures, video and audio) and allows you to see when that person is typing and when they've read your message. 

I'm not sure why people are bringing up data use. Unless you are sending hordes of pictures and video the data use is negligible for text messages. 

I hate seeing the green messaging bubbles on my iPhone when I text non iPhones. iMessage is just way faster (especially when sending pictures, video and audio) and allows you to see when that person is typing and when they've read your message. 

I'm not sure why people are bringing up data use. Unless you are sending hordes of pictures and video the data use is negligible for text messages. 

one word. android 

SMS is a nice backup, but thats all it is. I keep in touch with my lawyers who still use BBM on their Androids, everyone else I know is happily using WhatsApp because of how useful it is for group conversations. Telegram is a nice thought, but it came too late and WhatsApp already established itself as "the thing". 

believe it or not i don't have a phone i just won't handle someone sending me picture of their cat wearing Santa hat

Manners Maketh Man

because EVERYONE has it, not everyone uses whattsapp or facebook messanger or kik or snapchat (or whatever) - however everyone has text

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

In response to the title: Because it works.

It is usefull on a productive level, not a shitty social trend like Instacrap or Snapscat.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

It's still a universal standard that you can use to message anyone at anytime. Having multiple programs for people at different levels would be a hassle.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Remember the days when people bought phones to...make phone calls?

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

I use SMS because they are included in my contract and don't use part of my data cap. They are quick and work.

I still use SMS, because I have a crappy provider that gives me only 150mb of data allowance :/ if I go over that they charge me like crap.

Someone should really get HTTP over SMS working... That would save me a lot of money because you could just send a whole HTML document over 1 SMS and it would cost the same as how much it would cost to send a small text.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Why? because in NZ my plan only gives me 750mb of data and unlimited texting.

If i need to text someone i use sms. If i need to send a photo i use wechat. It works for me.

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

Because 1. SMS doesn't use your data (yes its a very small percentage to send a text but it is still some) and 2. you run into problems like iPhones not sending texts to Android and vice versa which is NOT acceptable

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Haven't still gotten my selfie phone, tbh just use my phone to listen music.