Should we unplug our chargers each night?

iHammmy

Okay, so roughly 3 packs of smokes for every household over the course of a year.

Here's a thought, just pass a law requiring the phones to have some sort of "trickle charging" feature that turns off the charging, and just keeps it filled up whenever it senses the phone below 99%, or a sleep mode where the phone turns completely off after getting to 100%. instead of running around telling people not to plug their phones in at night because the polar bears might die.

It's a little more than 3 packets of cigarrets if you read the full post :)

It seems impossible until it's done.

It's a little more than 3 packets of cigarrets if you read the full post :)

3.50BP equals a little over 5$, that's roughly the cost of one pack of cigs where I live. In places like NYC, that'd be about a third of the cost of a pack of smokes.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

3.50BP equals a little over 5$, that's roughly the cost of one pack of cigs where I live. In places like NYC, that'd be about a third of the cost of a pack of smokes.

LOL

not at you, but this in general. this is such a tiny amount, If I microwaved one extra meal, or let my car idle a few seconds longer each day, or got cought at a extra light, Id probably spend more.

it was what, 60$ a year to go around and unplug EVERYTHING at night? yeah every night ill go and unplug  my microwave. let alone with everything else. that extra 15 minutes you spend unplugging/plugging everything everday, Im sure you could easily make up that 60$ a year. so anyone that argues with you, yeah its money, but youd save more money staying off your pc for a single day compared to leaving my single phones usb thing plugged in. 

I charge my phone at night because its CONVIENT. I want my phone to be at 100% when the day starts, not 90-95%. If I lose half a hour or so of use during the day because it was idling over night, just no. its not worth it. 

Yep, cuz my few extra hours of charging my phone is going to make the oceans rise, forests burst into flames, and animals suffocate.

Ermagerd a few cents a month leading up to a grand total of a pack of cigarettes over the course of a year.

Anyone who gets butthurt about someone else wasting that minuscule amount of power, must have absolutely nothing going on in their lives to worry about, must be nice to have such a perfect life that you can nit pick something so very small in someone else's.

now take that over your entire life and multiply that with the number of smartphones in the word

My soul is partly powered by the tears of environmentalists. 

I charge my things at night because rates are actually more favourable, the overall grid load is less, and because I'm ASLEEP. Plug in, go sleep 8 hours, wake up, everything is charged. Actually, its closer to 2-3 hours for my phone to charge up and 4-5 for my laptop. But I'm not going to wake up in the middle of the night to unplug my stuff. 

So once again, see my opening sentence. If I wanted to make a difference I would power down the REAL energy drains on the grid. A/C, furnace, home humidifier; not my goddamn cellphones and laptops. 

LOL

not at you, but this in general. this is such a tiny amount, If I microwaved one extra meal, or let my car idle a few seconds longer each day, or got cought at a extra light, Id probably spend more.

it was what, 60$ a year to go around and unplug EVERYTHING at night? yeah every night ill go and unplug  my microwave. let alone with everything else. that extra 15 minutes you spend unplugging/plugging everything everday, Im sure you could easily make up that 60$ a year. so anyone that argues with you, yeah its money, but youd save more money staying off your pc for a single day compared to leaving my single phones usb thing plugged in. 

I charge my phone at night because its CONVIENT. I want my phone to be at 100% when the day starts, not 90-95%. If I lose half a hour or so of use during the day because it was idling over night, just no. its not worth it. 

Wrong or right, this is the attitude of most people.

Lets see, take an hour or so to unplug EVERYTHING in the house....or get an extra hour of sleep and not worry about the polar bears who...in the grand scheme of things aren't all that vital to the ecosystem we actually depend on (mainly grass, chickens, cows, sheep, pigs, and some fruits and veggies).

Nuke the whales.

My soul is partly powered by the tears of environmentalists. 

I charge my things at night because rates are actually more favourable, the overall grid load is less, and because I'm ASLEEP. Plug in, go sleep 8 hours, wake up, everything is charged. Actually, its closer to 2-3 hours for my phone to charge up and 4-5 for my laptop. But I'm not going to wake up in the middle of the night to unplug my stuff. 

So once again, see my opening sentence. 

Did we just agree on something? lemme just go make sure the sky isn't actually on fire lol.

I'm all for green tech being implemented, I'm all against green tech being bannered around by people who sniff their own farts and talk with their eyes closed.

Nuke the whales.

Wow, I think you went pretty overboard their...

( excuse the pun )

It seems impossible until it's done.

Wow, I think you went pretty overboard their...

( excuse the pun )

*ba dum tsss*

It was a joke from The Simpsons (as if you didn't know....at least...I hope you did)

Gotta nuke somethin

now take that over your entire life and multiply that with the number of smartphones in the word

large.gif

Not even in the slightest. I'm not paying for everyone elses power, and 5 bucks a year isn't bankrupting me so...dont even care

I charge my phone every night, have done that for the past decade or so, and will continue to do so. It doesn't use that much energy and since my phone is also my alarm clock so I'm up in time for work it makes more sense to charge it and have it next to my bed.

-_- people here dont know how bad it is. if we dont make major changes life is going to suck in the future. several islands are going to be underwater and 25 - 150 species are going extincted everyday. the future is bleak and we insist on sitting on the train tracks thinking oh we will jump out of the way at the last second

I charge my phone every night, have done that for the past decade or so, and will continue to do so. It doesn't use that much energy and since my phone is also my alarm clock so I'm up in time for work it makes more sense to charge it and have it next to my bed.

lol i guess not everyone wakes up at 3 i start charging when i wake up and its at 100% way before i go to school at 6:30

lol i guess not everyone wakes up at 3 i start charging when i wake up and its at 100% way before i go to school at 6:30

I would probably choke myself to death with my bare hands before waking up a 3 in the morning.....Staying up till 3 am is a different issue though lol

Ok, there's a few things that could wake me up at that hour

1. sex

2. home invasion

3. house on fire.

I would probably choke myself to death with my bare hands before waking up a 3 in the morning.....Staying up till 3 am is a different issue though lol

1. sex

2. home invasion

3. house on fire.

cat can wake me up at 1:45

1. sex

2. home invasion

3. house on fire.

So you would't mind if I bombed your home?

K.

/s

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

So you would't mind if I bombed your home?

K.

/s

Someone at the NSA just got a pay raise and also dispatched the SWAT team as well.

Lol and here I am paying $34.99 for my smokes god damn Australia and our BS taxes on everything.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

I wake up at 5am and leave for work about an hour and a half later, but my job allows us to listen to music/books/whatever for the full 10 hour day so my phone needs charging by the time I go to bed.

-_- people here dont know how bad it is. if we dont make major changes life is going to suck in the future. several islands are going to be underwater and 25 - 150 species are going extincted everyday. the future is bleak and we insist on sitting on the train tracks thinking oh we will jump out of the way at the last second

1) ... But not because of cell phones.

2) that is entirely your belief and is open to debate.

3) I don't live in Florida, Alice Springs, Beijing or within 6 feet of sea level (I'm 252 feet above sea level according to my watch), so why should I care? (P.S. the September 2014 edition of Nat Geo came with a cool map of what the earth would look like if the seas rose 6 feet, which is what would happen if all ice on earth melted)

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

My USB wall charger is built in the wal...

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

Wrong or right, this is the attitude of most people.

Lets see, take an hour or so to unplug EVERYTHING in the house....or get an extra hour of sleep and not worry about the polar bears who...in the grand scheme of things aren't all that vital to the ecosystem we actually depend on (mainly grass, chickens, cows, sheep, pigs, and some fruits and veggies).

Nuke the whales.

Did we just agree on something? lemme just go make sure the sky isn't actually on fire lol.

I'm all for green tech being implemented, I'm all against green tech being bannered around by people who sniff their own farts and talk with their eyes closed.

you realise its not unplug everything, its just turn all the switches off

Yep, cuz my few extra hours of charging my phone is going to make the oceans rise, forests burst into flames, and animals suffocate.

Ermagerd a few cents a month leading up to a grand total of a pack of cigarettes over the course of a year.

Anyone who gets butthurt about someone else wasting that minuscule amount of power, must have absolutely nothing going on in their lives to worry about, must be nice to have such a perfect life that you can nit pick something so very small in someone else's.

Sure it might be a few cents, but if everyone did that, a nation as a whole would save thousands of dollars each day. On the other hand, this is great advice for those that don't have removable batteries or don't want to spend money on a replacement battery.

Even better, this could be a huge saving for laptop batteries. I know my laptop battery health is terrible cause I used the super fast charging option, and within maybe 50 charge cycles, it was down to about 60% health. After I started taking care of my battery, the health went up to 75% capacity remaining. Although, it could just be that dell included an awful battery......

1) ... But not because of cell phones.

2) that is entirely your belief and is open to debate.

3) I don't live in Florida, Alice Springs, Beijing or within 6 feet of sea level (I'm 252 feet above sea level according to my watch), so why should I care? (P.S. the September 2014 edition of Nat Geo came with a cool map of what the earth would look like if the seas rose 6 feet, which is what would happen if all ice on earth melted)

yea psssh who cares if people are going to lose their homes because of this. who cares if the Philippines are going to be underwater

Prolong charging is not good for batteries and my charger makes little noise when plugged in so I only charge my phone until its 100% and then unplug it.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

yea psssh who cares if people are going to lose their homes because of this. who cares if the Philippines are going to be underwater

It's sarcasm.

I can joke like that because I don't believe in human-made global warming, and this isn't helping:

post-145931-0-94759000-1424101182_thumb.

I live in a temperate climate, i.e. IT'S NEVER THIS FREAKING COLD HERE! D:

Sure, you can say "but that's just your part of the world!", but what if only certain parts of the world are warming?

Please use your mind rather than just believing what the scientific community tells you. Science can't prove anything. (Case in point, the geocentric system) If you analyze the facts and find that you believe in global warming, then that's fine, as you aren't mindlessly following the scientists.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650