Should we unplug our chargers each night?

iHammmy

It's sarcasm.

I can joke like that because I don't believe in human-made global warming, and this isn't helping:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I live in a temperate climate, i.e. IT'S NEVER THIS FREAKING COLD HERE! D:

Sure, you can say "but that's just your part of the world!", but what if only certain parts of the world are warming?

Please use your mind rather than just believing what the scientific community tells you. Science can't prove anything. (Case in point, the geocentric system) If you analyze the facts and find that you believe in global warming, then that's fine, as you aren't mindlessly following the scientists.

well im not arguing with someone who doesnt understand the difference between weather and climate saying you dont believe in climate change is like saying you dont believe the earth is round both of which are backed by scientific research

well im not arguing with someone who doesnt understand the difference between weather and climate saying you dont believe in climate change is like saying you dont believe the earth is round both of which are backed by scientific research

(I do believe the Earth is round, though.)

And BTW, 53% of Americans still are either on the fence about or don't believe in global warming, so unless you want to offend at least 167,000,000 people, be careful what you say.

Also, unless I'm mistaken and 100% of the Philippines' islands are less than 6 feet below sea level, they would not be underwater.

EDIT: The highest point in the Philippines is Mount Apo, which is nearly 10,000ft above sea level. For the Philippines to be completely submerged, the oceans would have to rise that high, at which point most of Earth would be a global ocean. Even if the oceans rose 100ft, most of the Philippines would be unharmed. This is impossible, because all ice on earth melting would only rise the oceans by 6ft at the most. This is what the Philippines would look like if all ice on earth melted.

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

(I do believe the Earth is round, though.)

And BTW, 53% of Americans still are either on the fence about or don't believe in global warming, so unless you want to offend at least 167,000,000 people, be careful what you say.

Also, unless I'm mistaken and 100% of the Philippines' islands are less than 6 feet below sea level, they would not be underwater.

EDIT: The highest point in the Philippines is Mount Apo, which is nearly 10,000ft above sea level. For the Philippines to be completely submerged, the oceans would have to rise that high, at which point most of Earth would be a global ocean. Even if the oceans rose 100ft, most of the Philippines would be unharmed.

yea sure listen to random people on their opinions on climate change and not to the scientists. and why would you say oh here is evidence that the earth is flat but i dont believe that. its leads people to think that you do believe the earth is flat

yea sure listen to random people on their opinions on climate change and not to the scientists. and why would you say oh here is evidence that the earth is flat but i dont believe that. its leads people to think that you do believe the earth is flat

My points are that:

1) Science is never 100% correct, or even close to that

2) there will be evidence for ANY theory, no matter how incorrect

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

My points are that:

1) Science is never 100% correct, or even close to that

2) there will be evidence for ANY theory, no matter how incorrect

climate change isnt a theory its a proven fact. and you are doing something wrong if you are disagreeing with 97% of scientists

climate change isnt a theory its a proven fact. and you are doing something wrong if you are disagreeing with 97% of scientists

1. 97% of scientists agree that the climate is changing, however nowhere near that number agree that mankind is the cause of it.

2. The change of the climate is actually a natural cyclical occurrence, and it's happening now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature_record#mediaviewer/File:Holocene_Temperature_Variations.png

You can go back further, into the millions and tens of millions of years scale. And see that the earth's climate is rarely as stable as it has been during humanities relatively minuscule existence on this planet.

1920px-EPICA_temperature_plot.svg.png

1024px-Five_Myr_Climate_Change.svg.png

That's 5 million years, the earth is a few BILLION years old. I find the idea that we have had a gigantic impact on the climate, to be a tad bit ridiculous. I find it much more likely that politicians pay scientists to talk about it, so they can get funding for the green companies they have invested in, just like how other politicians pay economists to support their ideas about net neutrality, to boost profits for the companies they have invested in.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Oh, the climate IS changing. I just don't believe WE'RE the cause of it.

1. 97% of scientists agree that the climate is changing, however nowhere near that number agree that mankind is the cause of it.

2. The change of the climate is actually a natural cyclical occurrence, and it's happening now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature_record#mediaviewer/File:Holocene_Temperature_Variations.png

You can go back further, into the millions and tens of millions of years scale. And see that the earth's climate is rarely as stable as it has been during humanities relatively minuscule existence on this planet.

1920px-EPICA_temperature_plot.svg.png

Thanks for that, I was too lazy to get graphs. :P

[spoilerr]

http://www.ted.com/talks/al_gore_s_new_thinking_on_the_climate_crisis?language=enyou should watch this and the 97% was the amount of scientists who believe in global warming and say its man made 

My Charger is always plugged in, because it is a dock.  The phone usually sits there after I come from school for a hour. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

If you have an Apple device, afaik you can leave the charger plugged in with no phone attached and it consumes an unregisterable amount of electricity (measured with a kill-o-watt).(so not even 0.1 watts)

the very first post on this thread [From MacRumors] is my proof: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1785460

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Oh, the climate IS changing. I just don't believe WE'RE the cause of it.

Thanks for that, I was too lazy to get graphs. :P

97% of scientists believe in global warming and say its man made

http://www.ted.com/talks/al_gore_s_new_thinking_on_the_climate_crisis?language=enyou should watch this and the 97% was the amount of scientists who believe in global warming and say its man made 

Yeah...no. just no. Anything involving Al Gore is 99% as much horse shit as if it had come from fox news.

There is far more historical evidence of naturally occurring climate change than there will ever be for "global warming". Sure, it may or may not be happening 100 years earlier or later than one might expect, but if you aren't willing to allow for a margin of at least a few thousand years, over the scale of several million years, then you're not doing it right.

We can argue over how many scientists agree or disagree all day, or we can do the intelligent thing and look at actual physical evidence of what has happened in the past, and think to ourselves what might happen in the future. Computer models and scientists are relatively easy to manipulate compared to physical evidence of what has actually occurred.

Yeah...no. just no. Anything involving Al Gore is 99% as much horse shit as if it had come from fox news.

algore is quoting scientists so if you believe that scientists spew horse shit then i guess there is nothing i can do for you. and already the amount of CO2 in the air is more than it has ever been on earth and its projected to continue to grow exponentially. 

algore is quoting scientists so if you believe that scientists spew horse shit then i guess there is nothing i can do for you. and already the amount of CO2 in the air is more than it has ever been on earth and its projected to continue to grow exponentially. 

You really think that 97% of all scientists on earth agree with that? Have you never considered that "97% of all scientiststhat we paid  agree!"

It's the same thing as "9 out of 10 doctors recommend our tooth brush over the competitors!". I can get any statistic to show what I want, it depends on who I ask, and what I ask. If I ask 100 scientists, and know that 97 of them will agree with me, I will get the statistic I want, it's called sample bias.

The problem is, charging overnight makes sense for peoples routines

I wake, grab a shower and use my phone during breakfast etc, and all the way up until sleep time, if I charge it before bed, during the night it can lose say 20% meaning I wont get a full day out of it

Equally in teh morning I dont have enough time for a full charge

so not really much optoin

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

damn, ripped the whole article and didnt quote.

Using way old data and referencing "2013" as a future target for battery chargers.

2/10 would not read news from again.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Not only are you flipping off the world, but also yourself. Paying more for nothing and letting the battery degrade faster. 

I call bs on this post. Same phone for over 3 years and I have the same battery life. Same routine as well. I charge it at work so they are paying the bill. :)

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

You really think that 97% of all scientists on earth agree with that? Have you never considered that "97% of all scientiststhat we paid  agree!"

It's the same thing as "9 out of 10 doctors recommend our tooth brush over the competitors!". I can get any statistic to show what I want, it depends on who I ask, and what I ask. If I ask 100 scientists, and know that 97 of them will agree with me, I will get the statistic I want, it's called sample bias.

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/its a survey is a combination of many independent surveys so it has a gigantic pool of scientists surveyed

The problem is, charging overnight makes sense for peoples routines

I wake, grab a shower and use my phone during breakfast etc, and all the way up until sleep time, if I charge it before bed, during the night it can lose say 20% meaning I wont get a full day out of it

Equally in teh morning I dont have enough time for a full charge

so not really much optoin

Yup. Not everyone has a super amazing phone that can charge in 2-3 hours. I can, since my phone supports it. But this is a fairly recent feature on phones. 

So once again, sorry; but the environment can lick my Canadian balls. I have a sensible routine of sleep. I don't wake up to unplug my devices and turn them off. No thanks. Sleep > making envirohippys happy. 

Want to enact change that actually helps? Target heavy industry, factories; that kind of stuff. Them changing their ways has a far more effective impact on the environment. These coal fired plants where most of us get our energy, those would be better served in having better CO2 scrubbers. That alone would be more useful than us not charging crap overnight. 

But hey, lets knee jerk reactions just to feel good. 

Those people in this thread who approve of that better shut off all their devices when they go to sleep, never leave their PCs idling, never even leave your furnace or AC or humidifiers running on idle. But hey, thats none of my business. 

http://climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/its a survey is a combination of many independent surveys so it has a gigantic pool of scientists surveyed

Dude.... the current conditions mirror those of previous patterns from before human existence, give or take a few thousand years (which, if you look, is normal, nothing in all of nature repeats itself exactly the same each time), it's not man made. Look at the freaking patterns I linked earlier, there are previous times where the warming actually accelerated faster than it is now (a sharper up curve).

Have we contributed? No doubt, but not to the extent that people are claiming in the news media. Have we made it happen a few years earlier than expect? possibly, but there really isn't any way to conclusively say that with 100% accuracy without observing the same period of time, and removing humanity from existence.

Climate change would have, and will happen, regardless of what we do. NOTHING we do can stop it. It is a natural occurrence. No matter how many electric cars, and solar panels, and whatever else we come up with, the climate WILL change. It is above and beyond our technological capabilities to prevent.

If we are going to blame ourselves, we have to blame every single other form of oxygen breathing, carbon dioxide exhaling, life on the planet. The cycle occurs when the fresh water/salt water belt in the ocean slows down or stops, as a result of fresh water at the poles melting. Which has happened several times before humans or their ancestors even existed.

Dude.... the current conditions mirror those of previous patterns from before human existence, give or take a few thousand years (which, if you look, is normal, nothing in all of nature repeats itself exactly the same each time), it's not man made. Look at the freaking patterns I linked earlier, there are previous times where the warming actually accelerated faster than it is now (a sharper up curve).

Have we contributed? No doubt, but not to the extent that people are claiming in the news media. Have we made it happen a few years earlier than expect? possibly, but there really isn't any way to conclusively say that with 100% accuracy without observing the same period of time, and removing humanity from existence.

Climate change would have, and will happen, regardless of what we do. NOTHING we do can stop it. It is a natural occurrence. No matter how many electric cars, and solar panels, and whatever else we come up with, the climate WILL change. It is above and beyond our technological capabilities to prevent.

If we are going to blame ourselves, we have to blame every single other form of oxygen breathing, carbon dioxide exhaling, life on the planet. The cycle occurs when the fresh water/salt water belt in the ocean slows down or stops, as a result of fresh water at the poles melting. Which has happened several times before humans or their ancestors even existed.

yep dumping millions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere everyday surely has no effect at all how silly of me

yep dumping millions of tons of CO2 into the atmosphere everyday surely has no effect at all how silly of me

I didn't say no effect, I said look at the fucking evidence we have from history dating back millions of years from core samples from both the arctic and antarctic. But the idea that we are the main cause of climate change, or have the power to stop it, is complete and utter horse shit.

I didn't say no effect, I said look at the fucking evidence we have from history dating back millions of years from core samples from both the arctic and antarctic. But the idea that we are the main cause of climate change, or have the power to stop it, is complete and utter horse shit.

yep its going to have very minimal effects how silly of me

yep its going to have very minimal effects how silly of me

Never said it would have minimal effects either. I'm saying that there's nothing we can do to stop it, and the amount we have contributed is minuscule in the grand scheme of things.

Notice how the top of the curve is higher 5.5 million years ago than it is today? Explain that. Explain the overall downward trend. See that 0.5 in the right half of the scale? Our species has existed for maybe a fifth of that.

You can continue to spout how many scientists say what all you want, but until you can show me physical evidence that carbon levels are higher now than they have ever been in a few billion years, your information is invalid.

So your saying to unplug my 8 chargers that I have spread around my place..... HELL NO