Major Video Game Companies Agree to Share Customer Data with the US Government

TwistedDictator
With or without controversial new legislation such as the ​Cybersecurity Information Sharing and Protection Act, President Obama is doing his best to make sure companies share the information they know about you with the federal government.

On Friday, the president issued a cybersecurity executive order that creates a new framework for “expanded information sharing designed to help companies work together, and work with the federal government, to quickly identify and protect against cyber threats,” according to an emailed fact sheet from the White House.

The ​Sony hack of late last year made the idea of “cyberwar” all too real for many politicians, including Obama, who has spent much of the last two months talking about the need for ​expanded cooperation between the government and private companies. Considering all that rhetoric, Friday’s move doesn’t come as any real surprise.

So far, Apple, Intel, Bank of America, US Bank, Pacific Gas & Electric, AIG, QVC, Walgreens, and Kaiser Permanente have all signed up to use a new cybersecurity framework that could facilitate future information sharing (but doesn’t appear to include that provision now), according to the White House.

But some groups are signing on for full information sharing, starting now. They include the Cyber Threat Alliance, which includes Palo Alto Networks, Symantec, Intel Security and Fortinet; the Entertainment Software Association, which represents Sony and Microsoft’s video game divisions, as well as many more of the largest video game companies in the country; Crowdstrike, a security firm; Box, a cloud storage company; and FireEye, a cybersecurity firm.

The ​new executive order isn’t CISPA, a cybersecurity bill that is generally focused on government-company information sharing that has been passed by the House of Representatives twice before but has died in the Senate because of severe privacy concerns. But it does create a convoluted system by which companies can share information with the federal government. The order allows for the creation of “information sharing and analysis organizations,” which will be made up of one or more companies who will then work with a newly created National Cybersecurity and Communications Integration Center (​announced earlier this week) to funnel information to the Department of Homeland Security.

Is this Obama going around Congress to create something that, thus far, hasn't had enough support to pass? Not exactly.

Obama doesn’t have the power to give companies what’s known as an “immunity clause” or a liability protection, which is one major sticking point on CISPA. That clause tells companies to remove all non pertinent identifying information from information they share with the government—but it also gives them legal immunity should they fail to do so, meaning they can screw up and not pay for it.

Obama’s cybersecurity order has no such clause, which is why the White House said the order is “paving the way for future legislation.”

The order also differs from CISPA in that information will be shared with the Department of Homeland Security, a civilian organization, rather than the NSA, a military organization. That’s an important distinction that civil liberties experts have pushed for in trying to tone down CISPA in the past.

Though Obama’s new framework has some big-name partners, there’s a strong and powerful sector that seem to be less into the idea.

While Apple CEO Tim Cook will be attending an event in Palo Alto, California today where Obama will announce the project, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg, Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer, and Google’s Larry Page and Eric Schmidt all were invited to attend but declined, according to Bloomberg Business. They will instead send lower-level employees to the summit as an information-gathering endeavor. Bloomberg suggested that those three companies “are trying to assure their users or customers that their products are secure and that they don’t willingly turn over data to the government.”

It's not necessarily time to panic yet—full information sharing doesn't seem likely without Congressional action. But all sectors of the government appear to be focused on giving law enforcement and intelligence agencies more access to private information.

Source

There is so much more, check the source out

This includes Microsoft and Sony!.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

-snip-

what is there so share?

You quickly replied without even reading the source, just wanted to be the "first" to comment. You first wrote "they can see my K/D" but you didnt even read the post. Do I have to explain everything so you cant be arsed to read it? Sorry for being grumpy but I see this on post threads, someone has to explain everything and if not they would just read the title and start assuming things lol.

This is LTT. Not a call of duty forum.

If you have did read the source aand still dont understand then feel free to post in the comments or even message me and I will explain and answer all your questions. If you dont understand a part of the source then quote the source and post below, Ill explain.

Slick:

I don't care if you are right or wrong... someone will come around and correct you if you are wrong. What people need to realize is that we need to step up as a community and get above the pathetic fights and bickering. Share knowledge, be friendly, enjoy your stay.

He also forgot to mention if you dont know about the topic then dont make stuff up. Dont claim fake or assume things just by reading the title, Read the post. It doesnt matter if you made 3,000 as it could be mostly crap...

-snip-

I meant that I don't care about companies sharing my data.

-snip-

and so begins the slow decent of this turning into youtube comments, you dont have to report him. i guess its actually a valid reason to not care about this, but he does care enough to click and comment so yeah thats odd.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

So if I yell out "Allahu Akbar" all the time in voice chat they will probably call a drone strike on my house?

HJAHAHAHHAHA CSGO? 

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

Monitors: Dell U2414H 

as long as they dont share my password, date of birth, address, and my photos, im just ok but now after reading this im scared to share any info in game :( 

HJAHAHAHHAHA CSGO? 

if i tell i love jihad there will be swat team all around my house?

lol that will be epic we can waste money of the us govt

if i tell i love jihad there will be swat team all around my house?

lol that will be epic we can waste money of the us govt

Welcome to the mentality of modern society :) 

The BBQ: i7-4770 / 212x / Tri-X R9 290x 1075/1400 / MSI H87-G43 GAMING / EVGA G2 850W / Corsair Spec 03 / Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / Toshiba 2TB HDD / 8gb Kingston DDR3 1600mhz

Peripherals: G710+ / G502 / Bose Companion 2 Series III / Audio Technica ATH-M40x / Sound Magic E50

as long as they dont share my password, date of birth, address, and my photos, im just ok but now after reading this im scared to share any info in game :(

I hate to break it to you bub but if that information is on your pc and its connected to the internet well more than likely they already have it...

If they really wanted your information they would get it one way or another legal or not. I do not like this at all and just want all this to disappear. What mindset were they using that they 'need' the information from all these people. What type of intelligence are they hoping to gather with all this personal information from these companies? With all the recent cyber attacks and information leaks the last thing I need is my information to be in another database to be stolen. It's hard enough as it is to keep private information private.

I hate to break it to you bub but if that information is on your pc and its connected to the internet well more than likely they already have it...

idc if google and facebook knows my info i dont want more sites to get to know

idc if google and facebook knows my info i dont want more sites to get to know

Thats what im saying more than just who you are willing to share it with have it. Especially the government

Fuck this,now even people outside US have their data monitored by fucking USA gov if you game on any US based game?

Make a PSN/XboxLive account with payment info etc > US gov will know who you are and where you are even if you do so from siberia pfft,cyber attacks prevention my fucking arse its just mass monitoring of everyone/everything as much as possible.

Fuck this,now even people outside US have their data monitored by fucking USA gov if you game on any US based game?

Make a PSN/XboxLive account with payment info etc > US gov will know who you are and where you are even if you do so from siberia pfft,cyber attacks prevention my fucking arse its just mass monitoring of everyone/everything as much as possible.

Because no one else ever does anything like this. The despicable US government is the only one that monitors people. ;)

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Just...

ethernet-cable-01.jpg

Problem solved?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

If they really wanted your information they would get it one way or another legal or not. I do not like this at all and just want all this to disappear. What mindset were they using that they 'need' the information from all these people. What type of intelligence are they hoping to gather with all this personal information from these companies? With all the recent cyber attacks and information leaks the last thing I need is my information to be in another database to be stolen. It's hard enough as it is to keep private information private.

Sounds like the best way to go insane, at least, for the data miners.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Maybe its just the cynic in me, but this doesn't seem too shocking. 

US Echelon programs have been sniffing information for a long time, if the US government wants anything they can have it and might already do. Formal agreements might just lay a foundation for more "fair" requests at that information, but lets be honest if you're worried about your information being in the hands of some 9-5 NSA analyst - it already is. 

HJAHAHAHHAHA CSGO? 

Lol it's probably the most said thing on CS: GO. (Other than silvers calling every smurf a hacker xD)

Lol it's probably the most said thing on CS: GO. (Other than silvers calling every smurf a hacker xD)

I keep hearing it in voice chat~

AHA im not even ranked... Won 5 and had 1 draw.. with 1 loss! 

(If i won the remaining of the games where will i end up?)

I keep hearing it in voice chat~

AHA im not even ranked... Won 5 and had 1 draw.. with 1 loss! 

(If i won the remaining of the games where will i end up?)

Depends on how many MVP stars you have in each game, and how how much you won by (example : 16-1) also what ranks you are playing. But with that streak, you defiantly wont be landing in silver xD.

Depends on how many MVP stars you have in each game, and how how much you won by (example : 16-1) also what ranks you are playing. But with that streak, you defiantly wont be landing in silver xD.

Does leaving count as a loss?... If so i have two losses xD (There was an emergency that happened that time)

Hopefully i get into gold nova or smth xD