I want to upgrade. FX8350 or I5 4690K or I7 4790K

This post is inaccurate in various instances. The highest grade AMD chip to date is the FX9590, NOT the FX8350. The 9590 not only outperforms the 4690K without overclocking, but can overclock higher in most cases

The 4690k destroys the 9590 in games, and the 4690k can overclock much further as the 9590 is already overclocked to hell and back. Also, by the time you get a 9590, you can get a 4790k which destroys the 9590 in every aspect.

DO NOT PULL THAT BULLSHIT where you compare the price of the processors, that is absolutely IRRELEVANT. You need to buy at least an ~$80 cooler for the 9590 and a $100-120+ motherboard. You need an $80-100 motherboard or less depending on if you want to overclock or not and a $30 cooler for 4690k/4790k (cooler isn't even needed on these chips, but recommended of course). 

You can get an i5-4440 ($169 or so) and an H81 motherboard ($40) for cheaper than you can get a 8350 and a capable motherboard AND a capable cooler to overclock/stock operations. The i5-4440 will STILL outperform it in games. 

Get. Over. Yourself.

Lata

RIP in pepperonis m8s

@FLUFFYJELLO since you obviously cannot completely read my post (can tell from your first line) or you don't know what you're talking about, I'm not going to read yours. Have a nice day sir.

If you can overclock a 4690k higher than a 9590 on a $40 motherboard send me the screenshots. Please baby, don't keep me waiting.
You can keep a 9590 cool with a H212 EVO in a well ventilated case. Same with a 4690k. It helps that AMD FX processors have a larger die size to help dissipate that extra heat. Yep, they run hotter, and they're a larger chip too. Amazing how that works!
And yes I will bring "bullshit" price into this because it's not bullshit. A solid motherboard for overclocking that most people buy on Intel's side cost $120ish. Same with a solid motherboard for overclocking on AMD's side, it's $120ish. If you're saying you can get a decent overclock with a stock cooler from blue team or red team, you are just wrong, and I pity your stupidity on the subject. Silicone lottery isn't just performance for the clock speed, but for the heat as well due to the resistance of the current through the chip. I can create equally priced Intel and AMD systems and run them side by side and they would trade blows depending on the titles being played or the workload being processed. Curse and swear and baby your way through the mud of your own ignorance you child. Grow up and learn that EXPERIENCE is a better teacher than the million forums on the internet you've read that lead you to your conclusion that you are somehow superior to others because you can quote others on the internet and pull insignificant numbers out of your ass. I'll go back to it again: $40? Who are you trying to fool? Because I assume the majority of this community is smart enough to see through YOUR bullshit.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

This post is inaccurate in various instances. The highest grade AMD chip to date is the FX9590, NOT the FX8350. The 9590 not only outperforms the 4690K without overclocking, but can overclock higher in most cases. The power savings are not as insane as the charts my suggest and aren't going to impact the power bill of someone who does gaming. Even if they have their system running 24/7 (which most gamers don't do) a large portion of the time it will be inactive (sleep or hibernation) which consumes almost no power regardless of which platform you are running. Intel has stronger single thread performance than AMD, that's a fact. But for your money, AMD is a better choice. Why do I say that? Because as of today (Feb. 13, 2015) you can get an AMD FX9590, the REAL MOST POWERFUL red side processor, for the exact same price as an Intel i5 4690k on newegg (retail $239.99). An FX8350, is $179.99, and you'll get lesser performance out of it. Wow! It's $60 less and it's not as strong a processor!? Who would have thought?!

This not about 10,000 charts online comparing processors that are not of the same caliber OR PRICE. 8350's can be gotten for as low as $140, and will outperform any Intel processor at that price, unless you bum a used i5 off eBay, good luck. Linus did this wonderful video on price to performance regarding graphics cards. The same can apply to processors at a certain point when it comes to comparison between different brands. And I guess I should bring up a football analogy (on any given sunday, ANY team can beat ANY OTHER TEAM). To list another part of these pro benchmarks that nobody ever addresses: it's called the silicone lottery. Links addressed that too when he did his video on the Pentium G3258. Some processors overclock better than others. And guess what else? Some processors are just better than others at stock speeds too! My personal G3258 I was able to overclock to 4.8GHz. And my 6350 is clocked at 4.6GHz. Done games I play only utilize 1 or 2 cores, so obviously the Pentium much have beaten the 6350 since Intel's single core performance is better than AMD's! WRONG! That's not how it turns out at all. My 6350 averages 15-20 fps higher on average on single or dual-threaded games.

I don't have the technical expertise to explain why, but those are my results. "But the Pentium is half the cost of a 6350!" Right you are! (Kind of) And the 8350 is roughly the same difference in price less than a 4690k. And gets roughly that same difference in performance less in games (15-20fps difference).

The difference in price roughly equates to the difference in performance!?

Who

Would

Have

Thought.

If you can overclock a 4690k higher than a 9590 on a $40 motherboard send me the screenshots. Please baby, don't keep me waiting.

You can keep a 9590 cool with a H212 EVO in a well ventilated case. Same with a 4690k. It helps that AMD FX processors have a larger die size to help dissipate that extra heat. Yep, they run hotter, and they're a larger chip too. Amazing how that works!

And yes I will bring "bullshit" price into this because it's not bullshit. A solid motherboard for overclocking that most people buy on Intel's side cost $120ish. Same with a solid motherboard for overclocking on AMD's side, it's $120ish. If you're saying you can get a decent overclock with a stock cooler from blue team or red team, you are just wrong, and I pity your stupidity on the subject. Silicone lottery isn't just performance for the clock speed, but for the heat as well due to the resistance of the current through the chip. I can create equally priced Intel and AMD systems and run them side by side and they would trade blows depending on the titles being played or the workload being processed. Curse and swear and baby your way through the mud of your own ignorance you child. Grow up and learn that EXPERIENCE is a better teacher than the million forums on the internet you've read that lead you to your conclusion that you are somehow superior to others because you can quote others on the internet and pull insignificant numbers out of your ass. I'll go back to it again: $40? Who are you trying to fool? Because I assume the majority of this community is smart enough to see through YOUR bullshit.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1289?vs=1261

As you can see, the 4690k has about the same average framerates, but much better minimum framerates. The typical overclock for the 4690k is 4.4ghz which is about 25% higher than the stock clock of 3.5ghz. The 9590 on the other hand is pretty much overclocked to the max. Sure you might be lucky and overclock it a couple hundred mhz more, but you're not going to be able to get 25% higher clocks (about 5.8ghz).

As for motherboard for $40. I got my MSI Z87-GD65 for $55 after MIR. I got my 4690k for about $30 but that's another story. 

Edit: I'll admit that AMD has great processors that offer better value at certain price points at MSRP, but imo, it's silly to buy at the regular price; you can get better value by buying on sale.

Well i got this right here, proving FX 8350 can handle 2 770s with avg fps of 120.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Na-OSmaiKzU

Performs worse than my 3930K in Battlefield 4 with prime95 running. Don't forget to link this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUa1g0zKyEE

The same guy from your video.

Laughable performance, spraying noob which is typical for FX fucks these days, 60 fps when looking at the containers and average GPU usages around 60% is silly.

-snip-

I guess that's the only point we'll agree on. Sorry for the harsh words, the internet does things to people.

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

@Victorious Secret

Are you talking about dandrix/fluffy?

G3258 V 860k (Spoiler: G3258 wins)

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

I guess that's the only point we'll agree on. Sorry for the harsh words, the internet does things to people.

Bye bye.

*hug*

Spread the valentines love!

Spoiler

i7-4790K | MSI R9 390x | Cryorig H5 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 Motherboard | G.Skill Sniper 8gbx2 1600mhz DDR3 | Corsair 300R | WD Green 2TB 2.5" 5400RPM drive | <p>Corsair RM750 | Logitech G602 | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech Z313

Performs worse than my 3930K in Battlefield 4 with prime95 running. Don't forget to link this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUa1g0zKyEE

The same guy from your video.

Laughable performance, spraying noob which is typical for FX fucks these days, 60 fps when looking at the containers and average GPU usages around 60% is silly.

Still avg frame rate stays above 60, wtf do you expect from single 770 you weirdo ? Put up a video with i5/770 with BF4 multi player performance.

Also heres your beloved i5 running BF4 with GTX 770 and fps are all over the place...

It doesn't matter anymore. I'm gone.

Not without a hug!!!!!

*hug*

Spread the valentines love, man!

Spoiler

For dual 770's go with i7, both i5 and AMD 8 core will bottleneck your GPUs, theyre only good for one high end card.

i5 == i7 in most games.

Where do you pull such of crap benchies out of LOL ?

lol.

4790k obviously. 4690k 2nd choice.

everyone saying that fx 8350 will bottleneck multiple gpus...i had 8350 and now that i have 4770k the bottleneck is exactly the same. my 8350 pushed my dual 280xs very well, im talking 120-160 fps ultra bf4, 120+ fps dragonage inquisition. dont believe the hype all these douches up here keep pushing. the 8350 @ 4.7ghz is razor close to a 4770k @ 4.2

they'll say, 8350 cant play certain games well, neither can 4770k! metal gear solid v runs like shit no matter what cpu you have! if the game is a poorly optimized piece of turd(many games are) then it runs like ass on ANY cpu. arma 3 will bring a 5960k down to its knees, and has crappier graphics/gameplay then bf4!

some of these anti amd guys here on linus are actually intel retailers #truth

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

More like mocking them. I went from a 8350 to a 4790k and it was probably the biggest waste of money I've done to my rig so far. I'd return it if the retailer wasn't a Nazi about returns.

this. this 100%

i went from 8350 to 4770k only because i had an excellent deal no one would refuse, but they are so close its insane. i could have stayed with 8350 and been totally fine..that said i do really like my i7.

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

Fate, Majestic, Fluffy Jello, Dylan. Thank you for your constructive input.  I have sunk into the subject, read what you guys provided. I decided. I will pick Intel, wich one i'll give it a thought. More likely the I7 4790K. This will be a really big investment wich i hope i won't regret and it will endure the test if time. Prolly will end up with a loan. lol. What saddens me the most is that i fucked up my rig in the first place. I'm long time AMD user and i fallen for those FX promises. Time to change.

Fate, Majestic, Fluffy Jello, Dylan. Thank you for your constructive input. I have sunk into the subject, read what you guys provided. I decided. I will pick Intel, wich one i'll give it a thought. More likely the I7 4790K. This will be a really big investment wich i hope i won't regret and it will endure the test if time. Prolly will end up with a loan. lol. What saddens me the most is that i fucked up my rig in the first place. I'm long time AMD user and i fallen for those FX promises. Time to change.

Good choice, but Dont put yourself in debt just for a computer dude! Quality of life comes first.

Spoiler

Fate, Majestic, Fluffy Jello, Dylan. Thank you for your constructive input.  I have sunk into the subject, read what you guys provided. I decided. I will pick Intel, wich one i'll give it a thought. More likely the I7 4790K. This will be a really big investment wich i hope i won't regret and it will endure the test if time. Prolly will end up with a loan. lol. What saddens me the most is that i fucked up my rig in the first place. I'm long time AMD user and i fallen for those FX promises. Time to change.

If you are only gaming I would have to say go for the 4690k over the 4790k, as no games benefit from hyperthreading yet. 

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

There will allways be a bottleneck at a certain point no matter which cpu.

In fact on 1080p even a 4790K will not be capable to do 100% scaling over 2 highend gpu´s in cpu demending games.

But Its true, that the FX 8 core cpu´s realy showing their age, and strugle with even single highend GPU´s at 1080p in some cpu demending games.

I would realy recommend going with a 4690K for your dual GTX770 setup, but keep in mind that if you game at 1080p you will still not completely elimminate a bottleneck with an intel cpu.

If you are only gaming I would have to say go for the 4690k over the 4790k, as no games benefit from hyperthreading yet.

Some do, not much yet though.

Spoiler

Some do, not much yet though.

Not enough to recommend the $100 premium in my opinion.

Internets Machine: Intel 4690k w/ Be Quiet! Pure Rock 4.7Ghz. MSI Krait z97. 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Ram. MSI GTX 970 SLI 1520mhz. 500GB Samsung EVO 840  & 3TB WD Blue Drive. Rosewill 1000w Modular PSU. Corsair Air 540

My Beats Yo: Desktop:SMSL SA-160 Amp, KEF Q100 w/ Dayton 100w Sub Theater: Micca MB42X-C x3, MB42X x2, COVO-S x2 w/Dayton 120w Sub Headphones:  HIFiMan HE-400i, PSB M4U2, Philips Fidelio X2, Modded Fostex T50RP, ATH-M50, NVX XPT100, Phillips SHP9500, Pioneer SE-A1000, Hyper X Cloud 1&2, CHC Silverado, Superlux 668B

Not enough to recommend the $100 premium in my opinion.

Neither would I.

Spoiler

Good choice, but Dont put yourself in debt just for a computer dude! Quality of life comes first.

Thanks for the concern but don't ya worry. 

I took a look at some pc e-shops and shit. There's so many mobo options it's crazy. Can you help me choose some high OC capable mobo to push this I7 to the lomit when i get it?? Mobo and PSU are 2 most important things in a build in my humble opinions.

Thanks for the concern but don't ya worry. 

I took a look at some pc e-shops and shit. There's so many mobo options it's crazy. Can you help me choose some high OC capable mobo to push this I7 to the lomit when i get it?? Mobo and PSU are 2 most important things in a build in my humble opinions.

Your EVGA PSU is already amazing, no need to replace it.

Motherboard on Intel isn't as important as Motherboard on AMD.  A "low end" Z series motherboard will overclock the same as a "high end" Z series motherboard.  It all comes down to the luck of the chip, often referred to as the silicon lottery. 

What color scheme is your build?  Black and red?  There are a ton of options with that color scheme, the MSI Z97-GD45 is a good one.  If you want something more neutral that fits with everything, the Asus Z97-AR is an excellent choice. 

Also, all you really need for gaming is an i5.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

C'mon guys,  it's pretty much common knowledge that the intel beats out amd at the moment for performance.  If you have to go for the AMD for budget reasons then fine, there is nothing wrong with that and ultimately you won't be overly disappointed. However hat still doesn't change the fact the Intel is better.

But if someone comes along and says they have $80,000 and want a Porsche, then don't recommend a 1972 VW bettle with spoilers.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Fate, Majestic, Fluffy Jello, Dylan. Thank you for your constructive input. I have sunk into the subject, read what you guys provided. I decided. I will pick Intel, wich one i'll give it a thought. More likely the I7 4790K. This will be a really big investment wich i hope i won't regret and it will endure the test if time. Prolly will end up with a loan. lol. What saddens me the most is that i fucked up my rig in the first place. I'm long time AMD user and i fallen for those FX promises. Time to change.

Happy to help, and sorry for the schmutt in some of the posts. The 4790k is a beast, and outperforms the i5 and 8350 in every way. The price I think will be worth it in longetivity alone. But what others are saying is right: don't break your bank account! lol.

Gaming performance as well, the i7 won't bring much more to the table, but if you ever decide to dabble in heavily multi-threaded applications you will see worlds of difference.

As for motherboards on the Intel side I have experience with the Gigabyte z97 Gaming series as well as the MSI z97 Gaming series. Both are fantastic overclockers and are stable and wonderful pieces (~$140-$170). Any solid z97 motherboard is worth looking into, and Asus also brings a lot to the table from what my colleagues say (though I haven't personally worked with Asus except for graphics cards).

All in all I wish you the best of luck!

Cinders: - i7 4790K (4.5GHz) - Gigabyte Z97X-SOC - 16GB Klevv DDR3 1600MHz - EVGA GTX 980Ti ACX2.0+ (1548MHz Boost) - EVGA Supernova 850GS - NZXT H440 Orange/Black (Modified) -
Unnamed System: i5 4690K (4.2GHz) - MSI Z97I-AC - 8GB G.Skill DDR3 2400MHz - EVGA GTX 950 SSC - Raidmax Thunder V2 535W - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

To close this matter. I'll ask overclockers. Is my be!quiet DarkRock 2 is enough to blow the I7 out of socks or do i need a watercooler unit or air. What is the best option/model??