I want to upgrade. FX8350 or I5 4690K or I7 4790K

Hello fellow no-lifes.

Well, my 770 SLI turned out to be a performance fiasco. It was somewhat obvious.

I realise, it's time to upgrade. I have enough of reading all these reviews, watching benchmars, reading people trashing each other over amd vs intel.

Im just to phucking tired. I need YOUR honest user opinion on this. I got an average wallet, i don't have a gold mine in my yard.

I have an Asus Formula V mobo and the question IS.

Wich one should i get for the upgrade. Future proof, game proof. I only use my pc for gaming, stricly for that. A LOT OF GAMING. I aim for 1080p 60fps and higher.

FX 8350 or I5 4690K or I7 4790K.

I need your first hand experience people, help me spend my harder and money wisely.

Cheers and thank you.

I will make this simple for you. Your signature says you have a Thuban, and i can honestly say that the FX series is NOT an upgrade to a Thuban user. I would advise against getting the FX in this specific scenario. The i7 is superior to the FX 8350 for gaming, and if you can afford the i7, it would probably be the most obvious choice at this moment in time. You can however, hold off on your purchase until broadwell comes out (might find more efficient CPU's, or cheaper haswells). If you cannot wait, then i would say an unlocked i5 or i7 will do you just fine. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

Just jumped into this thread thought I would share my thoughts

I have the fx-8350 strictly because of not being able to upgrade my mobo from AM3+ and because of my budget build.

Pros to 8350

-cheaper short term (will have a shorter lifespan)

- Will most likely not bottleneck 2 770s (however I am not particularly knowledgeable in the sli department so don't quote me)

-easily overclocked 

-8 cores if utilized is great however unless streaming it will not make much of a difference

Cons to 8350

-Stock cooler is not sufficient and will be much louder and noisier than an intel stock cooler requiring you to buy an aftermarket cooler although necessary for overclocking any ways
-no upgrade path due to amd not releasing any new AM3+ chips so 9590 would be only upgrade and would not be a large improvement

-higher TDP requiring possibly a larger psu wattage

-more heat so if gpu temp is an issue spitting more heat out with this cpu is a no go

i5 pros

- better in gaming all around especially in sli from what I have heard

- better in editing and productivity ( not that you said you were doing anything)

- larger upgrade path allowing for more choice in the future rather than having to get a new mobo

- more mobos with pcie 3.0 and sli support

i5 cons

- costs more than an 8350 

- mobo will cost more

- more of a lottery with overclocking also requires an unlocked i5

late at night cant think of more

-

||CPU: i7-6850k @4.7Ghz||    ||Mobo: Asus X99-Deluxe II||    ||Ram: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX Red 2666Mhz||    ||GPU: GTX 1080 Founder Edition||

||Case: NZXT H440||    ||Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 250Gb, 1Tb Seagate Barracuda||

||PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 watt G2||

That price to performance stuff all the time... honestly I´ve got an i7 5930K laying around in a drawer here waiting to be the new CPU of my HTPC. And I run a 5960X because my hobby is GPU benchmarking, and I guarantee everybody one thing. I wipe the floor with any CPU other than X99 in 3D Mark Phyics scores.

Don´t get me wrong a Z97 with an i7 4790K is a good strong solution, but for me with 3 GPUs and extreme benchmarking it´s not good enough.

And for everyone that thinks a PLX 3way on Z97 will give you enough juice to play with the big boys... sorry won´t happen.

http://www.3dmark.com/hall-of-fame-2/fire+strike+3dmark+score+ultra+preset/version+1.1/3+gpu

Of course the situation is different when you are on a budget. And not everybody does have OCing as hobby. If I wasn´t an enthusiast I´d probably go for Z97 as well.

All I want to point out it is not always black or white why people buy hardware the way they do.

That P/FPS thing was meant for ONLY gaming. I never said that if you want to benchmark or whatever Z97 is "enough". X99 is an enthusiatst platform, i see youre an enthusiast. Great, fine, perfect.

PROJECT MOGARCPU: i5 4690k @ 4.9 Ghz CPU CoolerCorsair H100i in Pull on top Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming GT GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming Edition RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB) 2133 Mhz  PSU: EVGA G2 850W SSD: Samsung EVO 840 250 GB HDD: WD Black 1TB Case: Cooler Master CM Storm Scout II

I am in the same situation. I have a Phenom II X6 1055T and i was thinking about upgrading to FX8350 but, at some scenarios my phenom beats FX and 1100T can EASILY beat FX8350

Do NOT think "upgrading" to FX8350 from Phenom. I can understand buying 8350 if you are building a new PC but switching to 8350 from 1100T is not an upgrade.

I dont know if you believe but I am not an AMD fanboy, neither an Intel fanboy. I had HD5850 GPU and I couldnt play BF4 because of some bug that only occurs on AMD setups. I upgraded to GTX760 for that. Right now, I cant even play Dungeon Defenders II because game runs horribly on AMD CPUs. Also Dying Light runs very badly on AMD CPUs, even developers said that they are aware of AMD chip issue. AMD is problem.

If you are playing same games, look at some benchmarks and if benchmarks are good buy the AMD chip BUT, if you want to play the new games when they released, go for 4690k

Thats my 2 cents, I used AMD and I regret it. 

Pros to 8350

-cheaper short term (will have a shorter lifespan)

i5 cons

- costs more than an 8350 

- mobo will cost more

The total cost for a locked i5 + mobo is about the same as the cost for an 8320 + mobo + cooler. Also, an i5 (and an i7 for that matter) can run on a cheap H81 board -- so, no, it doesn't need a more expensive board (and a proper overclocking capable board will be about the same price as an AMD board capable of handling an 8320). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

This is such an overdone question.  Get the i5.

FX-8350 is such an outdated processor.  There's a reason they're so cheap per core.  It will do fine and just as well as an i5 in games like Battlefield that are notorious for utilizing a metric crap-ton of threads/cores, but anything that uses only a few cores at an intensive level is going to fall behind very quickly.  The "holy crap, it has EIGHT cores!" mentality is just marketing.  It had questionable performance when it released over 2 years ago, it's going to continue having more and more performance issues.

I went from an AMD processor to a locked i5-4590 and the difference is night and day.  I love AMD's video cards, but it seems like 1/4th of their CPU sales are just people comparing their core count to their penis size.