Windows 10 for Phone - Preview - Coming today!

GoodBytes

Got a Windows Phone 8 phone?
No? Very sad! Phone with too many features and too many apps, how annoying it must be. You should think about your life and consider buying a Windows Phone. :P
I don't have a Windows Phone.

windowsphone10_0.jpg

If you do, Microsoft very own Gabriel Aul announced on Twitter that Windows 10 for Phone Preview is coming out today.

Gabriel Aul:
Okay #WindowsInsiders, you've all been patient enough. TODAY is the day for Win10 Technical Preview for phones. Stay tuned for more info.

No more info is given yet. So we don't know how it will all works, but it looks like Microsoft is working on putting it live.
When information is revealed, this thread will be updated, so stay tune.

Source: http://www.winbeta.org/news/its-official-windows-10-phones-preview-coming-today-get-ready

UPDATE

Ok its been released:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/windows-insider/ed2b1421-6414-4544-bd8d-06d58ee402a5

It must be noted that this first build only supports the following phones:

Lumia 630
    Lumia 635
    Lumia 636
    Lumia 638
    Lumia 730
    Lumia 830

More phones to come later.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-has-released-the-first-build-of-windows-10-for-phones

Also some features aren't available on this build

Microsoft also warns that a lot of features are missing from this initial Technical Preview that you might be used to in Windows Phone 8.1. Messaging is missing dual-SIM support, search, message drafts, sharing voice notes and ringtones, Bi-Di language support, international assisted dialing, spam filter, viewing all group recipients, reminders and quiet hours through Cortana, multiple attachments, and GSM support. Cortana is only available in the US, and the Rooms feature isn’t fully supported in the preview. If you rely on any of those features then it might be worth waiting for a future build.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/12/8017935/windows-10-for-phones-download-preview

Missing features will come in later updates.

Won't be long until somone ports it to Android devices.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Windows Phone is a decent platform but the application support has been shit for it for so many years. As a daily user of a Windows Phone I would never recommend it to anyone.

Tho I still do enjoy my phone getting updates so here's to Windows Phone 10 making any major improvements.

Windows Phone is a decent platform but the application support has been shit for it for so many years. As a daily user of a Windows Phone I would never recommend it to anyone.

Tho I still do enjoy my phone getting updates so here's to Windows Phone 10 making any major improvements.

I have been a Windows phone user for some months now(10). I wouldn't recommend it too. I am looking to get an Android phone in the near future (a nexus 6/5 or a Motorola phone), I am looking forward to the update just to see what the changes are.

I still want a phone that dual boots.

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

It's neat, but the developers for apps on that platform just aren't there. :(

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Windows 10 Phone  should fix the problems that Windows Phone 8 have in terms of app with the introduction of Universal Apps. With Windows 10 being available for free as upgrade, the market share would be significant to bring interest form developers to make their tablet friendly apps, which in turn will automatically work on Windows 10 Phone. Obviously it is not something that will magically appear at release, but maybe after 1-2 years from the OS release.

building up the hype! Phone at the ready, hoping to install it.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

I have been a Windows phone user for some months now(10). I wouldn't recommend it too. I am looking to get an Android phone in the near future (a nexus 6/5 or a Motorola phone), I am looking forward to the update just to see what the changes are.

microsoft needs to persuade the devs of the biggest app on ios android and i expect they do it with this since the apps can be built to work on so many devices the possible install has to be big enough that would be stupid to ignore it

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Won't be long until somone ports it to Android devices.

But it would be a shit port obviously

"I fart in your general direction" -The Frenchmen

microsoft needs to persuade the devs of the biggest app on ios android and i expect they do it with this since the apps can be built to work on so many devices the possible install has to be big enough that would be stupid to ignore it

Meanwhile they fight with companies like Google about bringing YouTube and what not over to the platform. Microsoft shot themselves in the foot when it comes to developer support and relations. If all you do is text and call then a Windows Phone is great. Tho if you're a person like me who's on applications consistently throughout the day then it's just a simple no go recommendation. The platform itself has potential but the platform itself can't make any footwork in the industry when all of the major developers refuse to support it. I literally hate having my phone just because the lack of official YouTube and Facebook applications because the ones developed by Microsoft just don't cut it. I plan on moving over to the Moto G 2014 where I know I will be happy with both the platform and application support.

I'm also a Windows Phone user. I don't recommend it. Missing too many apps and even Microsoft is giving Android and iOS users better apps, which is absolute shit if you're a Windows Phone user. Not even the platform developer supports it.

I'll be moving to the HTC One M9 real soon. After two years with Windows Phone, I'm just tired of it and its limits.

Meanwhile they fight with companies like Google about bringing YouTube and what not over to the platform. Microsoft shot them in the foot when it comes to developer support and relations. If all you do is text and call then a Windows Phone is great. Tho if you're a person like me who's on applications consistently throughout the day then it's just a simple no go recommendation. The platform itself has potential but the platform itself can't make any footwork in the industry when all of the major developers refuse to support it. I literally hate having my phone just because the lack of official YouTube and Facebook applications because the ones developed by Microsoft just don't cut it. I plan on moving over to the Moto G 2014 where I know I will be happy with both the platform and application support.

dude i know that exact fell, i had a WP for a year and move to android with the moto g and i know exactly what WP lacks, the lack of app support does kill the system your right on that, and google not supporting the platform is them just being assholes because they have their own platform, android and chrome (browser) have enough market share for google to pull an apple and only support their services on their own platforms, youtube 60fps and html5 default player only work on chrome right now, yes i know html5 does work on other browsers but it just works with 360p and 720p res, 480p, 1080p and beyond doesn't work without flash, their new inbox app only works on chrome not other browsers even though the app has been available with invites for over 6 months now, chrome runs like trash eating resources just to give you that .5 second faster load, google services are still great but their platforms are becoming more and more horrible lately, just look at android, they still have after so much time problems with battery life, 5 which is where they claim they will fix it, and it turned for worst vs 4.4, what i'm saying is don't see how is ms full fault that WP lacks apps,

(sorry for derailing and turn it into a google rant but i felt i needed to get it out)

edit: saw this and these are the devices that can run the preview right now,

Lumia 630

Lumia 635

Lumia 636

Lumia 638

Lumia 730

Lumia 830

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Ok its been released:

http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/windows-insider/ed2b1421-6414-4544-bd8d-06d58ee402a5

It must be noted that this first build only supports the following phones:

Lumia 630
    Lumia 635
    Lumia 636
    Lumia 638
    Lumia 730
    Lumia 830

More phones to come later.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-has-released-the-first-build-of-windows-10-for-phones

Also some features aren't available on this build

Microsoft also warns that a lot of features are missing from this initial Technical Preview that you might be used to in Windows Phone 8.1. Messaging is missing dual-SIM support, search, message drafts, sharing voice notes and ringtones, Bi-Di language support, international assisted dialing, spam filter, viewing all group recipients, reminders and quiet hours through Cortana, multiple attachments, and GSM support. Cortana is only available in the US, and the Rooms feature isn’t fully supported in the preview. If you rely on any of those features then it might be worth waiting for a future build.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/12/8017935/windows-10-for-phones-download-preview

In Microsoft Blog post, they explain why some phones, including some high-end ones, are missing:

http://blogs.windows.com/bloggingwindows/2015/02/12/announcing-the-first-build-of-windows-10-technical-preview-for-phones-2/

Support will be coming. It has to do with a partitioning system they are implementing that isn't ready yet.

dude i know that exact fell, i had a WP for a year and move to android with the moto g and i know exactly what WP lacks, the lack of app support does kill the system your right on that, and google not supporting the platform is them just being assholes because they have their own platform, android and chrome (browser) have enough market share for google to pull an apple and only support their services on their own platforms, youtube 60fps and html5 default player only work on chrome right now, yes i know html5 does work on other browsers but it just works with 360p and 720p res, 480p, 1080p and beyond doesn't work without flash, their new inbox app only works on chrome not other browsers even though the app has been available with invites for over 6 months now, chrome runs like trash eating resources just to give you that .5 second faster load, google services are still great but their platforms are becoming more and more horrible lately, just look at android, they still have after so much time problems with battery life, 5 which is where they claim they will fix it, and it turned for worst vs 4.4, what i'm saying is don't see how is ms full fault that WP lacks apps,

(sorry for derailing and turn it into a google rant but i felt i needed to get it out)

edit: saw this and these are the devices that can run the preview right now,

Lumia 630

Lumia 635

Lumia 636

Lumia 638

Lumia 730

Lumia 830

There's no doubt that Google is giving Microsoft the middle finger about Google Apps due to them owning Android. Tho if Microsoft had better relations with these companies that push out some of the most popular applications the Windows Phone platform wouldn't be as bad as it is. Quite frankly I am confused as to why Microsoft is developing the official Facebook application for Windows Phone when Facebook themselves are developing the official Facebook Messenger application. It's quirks like these that really boggle my mind and make the platform subpar on devices. I've never had a problem with Chrome on my tablet it's pretty smooth, fast and responsive (my tablet only has 1 GB of ram). I can agree that Android 5.0 has been a bit of a problem but the platform still has much more potential than Windows Phone imo. There's no doubt that Android 5.0 will be solid after it's code base matures like previous versions. To be quite frankly honest I would rather run Android 5.0.2_r1 in its current state than Windows Phone 8. That's literally how bad I dislike the Windows Phone platform as a whole to where I would rather use my Android tablet for most tasks.

Meanwhile they fight with companies like Google about bringing YouTube and what not over to the platform. Microsoft shot them in the foot when it comes to developer support and relations. If all you do is text and call then a Windows Phone is great. Tho if you're a person like me who's on applications consistently throughout the day then it's just a simple no go recommendation. The platform itself has potential but the platform itself can't make any footwork in the industry when all of the major developers refuse to support it. I literally hate having my phone just because the lack of official YouTube and Facebook applications because the ones developed by Microsoft just don't cut it. I plan on moving over to the Moto G 2014 where I know I will be happy with both the platform and application support.

Microsoft may be to blame for many things, but not for the lack of Google apps on WP. Google flatout refuses to make them. And when Microsoft makes their own app for Youtube, Google blocks the API, stating that it violates the terms of use. Microsoft has made several different YouTube apps using the API, and even asked for Google's cooperation to ensure that none of them violated terms, but Google refused to cooperate.

Now, I know google is a competitor with Android, but they are more then ready to put their stuff on iOS, because of the marketshare. The difference here is they can't stop people from using iOS, as it's already too big. I think they're trying to prevent WP from gaining marketshare by intentionally not playing ball.

As the consumer who uses both Google and Microsoft technologies and devices (I have an Android tablet and a Nokia 830 phone), this pisses me right the fuck off.

With the other big app devs, this is something Microsoft needs to rectify themselves, by enticing the devs. Microsoft has failed here, no question, but with some of them, such as Google, it actually isn't Microsoft's fault.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Microsoft may be to blame for many things, but not for the lack of Google apps on WP. Google flatout refuses to make them. And when Microsoft makes their own app for Youtube, Google blocks the API, stating that it violates the terms of use. Microsoft has made several different YouTube apps using the API, and even asked for Google's cooperation to ensure that none of them violated terms, but Google refused to cooperate.

Now, I know google is a competitor with Android, but they are more then ready to put their stuff on iOS, because of the marketshare. The difference here is they can't stop people from using iOS, as it's already too big. I think they're trying to prevent WP from gaining marketshare by intentionally not playing ball.

As the consumer who uses both Google and Microsoft technologies and devices (I have an Android tablet and a Nokia 830 phone), this pisses me right the fuck off.

With the other big app devs, this is something Microsoft needs to rectify themselves, by enticing the devs. Microsoft has failed here, no question, but with some of them, such as Google, it actually isn't Microsoft's fault.

If Microsoft stepped on my toes like they did Google I would tell them to take a hike as well. Microsoft then went and tried to develop their own native applications and got rectified by Google because of it. Microsoft isn't exactly the best at holding relations with the people they need to in order to be successful in the phone ecosystem. I have owned a Windows Phone device for nearly a year now and literally nothing has changed (other than core functionality of the operating system). Fire up the software store and its the same 1/2 ass'd software that it was a year ago. The Windows Phone market has been stagnant for so long and without a big push from major developers it's unlikely to change. With the ability to unify applications across devices with Windows 10 means you're still going to be limited to the shitty functionality of them applications (regardless of the developer). To me and probably 8/10 people who owned Windows Phone devices the platform is a sinkhole for Microsoft. They started off with a turd and are still polishing the same turd (sort of like all of their other software). I'll run Windows on my desktop and laptop computers but on a mobile phone? No thanks.

If Microsoft stepped on my toes like they did Google I would tell them to take a hike as well. Microsoft then went and tried to develop their own native applications and got rectified by Google because of it. Microsoft isn't exactly the best at holding relations with the people they need to in order to be successful in the phone ecosystem. I have owned a Windows Phone device for nearly a year now and literally nothing has changed (other than core functionality of the operating system). Fire up the software store and its the same 1/2 ass'd software that it was a year ago. The Windows Phone market has been stagnant for so long and without a big push from major developers it's unlikely to change. With the ability to unify applications across devices with Windows 10 means you're still going to be limited to the shitty functionality of them applications (regardless of the developer). To me and probably 8/10 people who owned Windows Phone devices the platform is a sinkhole for Microsoft. They started off with a turd and are still polishing the same turd (sort of like all of their other software). I'll run Windows on my desktop and laptop computers but on a mobile phone? No thanks.

Fair enough, I will certainly agree that Microsoft needs to get their "Industry Partner Relations" in check. They've been doing a horrible job at getting devs to make popular apps for their mobile OS. Lots of small devs, no problem, but we need to get the same top 100 apps that iOS and Android have, for WP to survive the long run.

However, I disagree saying that they started off with a turd. WP7 was a very impressive restart by Microsoft. Was it perfect? No. But it was very different from the existing mobile OS's and tried something new. The OS itself is fairly solid. I just think they need to do two things:

1. Get more of the most popular apps on WP - easier said then done of course, but it needs to happen.

2. Getting the last few missing "features" that iOS and Android have that WP is missing. This may be rectified with WP10, but we won't know until more features are rolled out.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I think both are rectified by Windows 10.

Universal App idea is, I think, brilliant. The simple fact that Office Touch version was not available on Windows 8, shows that perhaps Modern UI  App were also limited in power, something that looks like they fixed with Universal Apps, especially that Steve Ballmer tried everything to prevent the version to be released on Android and iOS before Windows 8 shows it could not be done, and the devs started to work on it with Universal App development. Office Touch Preview is available on Windows 10 users only. There is no Windows 8 version.

With notification integration in Windows 10. I expect a full Facebook app to be made on Windows 10, especially with the large market share, due of being it free.

Personally, I don't have a smartphone, but looking into buying one. I always had my eyes on Windows Phone. I see so much potential. It doesn't crash, it does the basics above and beyind, the camera isn't shit (well it depends on the phone, but it's not like Android "5000 MP super duper camera!!!!", and you look at the picture you take and you scratch your head if it comes from your first 3MB digital camera you got back in 2002. And Apple has no problem taking overly pictures with a 8MP camera. Super smooth GUI, strong web browser for mobile device.

Look at OS level only, I don't see how Windows Phone can fail.

Fair enough, I will certainly agree that Microsoft needs to get their "Industry Partner Relations" in check. They've been doing a horrible job at getting devs to make popular apps for their mobile OS. Lots of small devs, no problem, but we need to get the same top 100 apps that iOS and Android have, for WP to survive the long run.

However, I disagree saying that they started off with a turd. WP7 was a very impressive restart by Microsoft. Was it perfect? No. But it was very different from the existing mobile OS's and tried something new. The OS itself is fairly solid. I just think they need to do two things:

1. Get more of the most popular apps on WP - easier said then done of course, but it needs to happen.

2. Getting the last few missing "features" that iOS and Android have that WP is missing. This may be rectified with WP10, but we won't know until more features are rolled out.

Certainly the mobile operating system in itself is acceptable. Like said if all I needed my phone for was to text, call and check email among other less trivial tasks it wouldn't matter to me. Tho I feel as if the approach Microsoft took at developing applications themselves for major services has turned out problematic for them. Like said Facebook for example officially develops the Facebook Messenger application for Windows Phone meanwhile Microsoft develops the standard Facebook application. With Microsoft doing so developers may not see the need to invest into developing one that meets expectations of a former Android or iOS user (since it's costing Microsoft money to support their service). The Facebook application on Windows Phone feels easily 2+ years behind in comparison. Microsoft should of took the initiative to collect enough statistics and then reach out to these other companies asking them if they wouldn't mind supporting the platform. Instead they went "heck, why even bother we can do it" and ended up with these half baked applications as a result. It would be a huge step forward with the unifying of the Windows Phone 10 and Windows 10 ecosystem that may bring the Windows 8 WinRT applications to mobile devices. Then we would finally see input from a few of these major developers that's needed for the growth of the Windows Phone. Otherwise for people right now the usability of the platform is just not there. Microsoft needs to figure out something to raise their market share to raise developer awareness. The fact that Windows itself holds a large market share the cross platform idea of WinRT might be enough to save their ass. Tho it will take years for them to see growth in the industry so it's not a platform I will revisit any time soon.

I just hope to god they don't brake the music app again, the entire reason I got a windows phone is because I love the way it looks, and I don't use shit like twitter or apps enough to justify getting an android (I had one as you would expect). and once I updated to 8.1, the music app was completely unusable. I loved the way the old one worked, it was fast and perfect imho, but the new one has been broken for sooooo long now, it's not so bad now but it has been really bad for a while. and there was nothing wrong with the old one, all they did was make it slow as dogshit, and remove functionality, like how it only shows 1 upcoming song now, when it use to show 3, and Smart DJ mix was removed... WTF Microsoft??!?

so in other words, I may be moving to android again, but I still don't take advantage of apps enough to justify the extra price tag, so I may just dust off my ZuneHD and buy a flip phone...     ehhhh, i'll see...

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online