Facebook rolls out feature for users when they die

Ethnod

So Facebook now had a setting that allows you to decide what happens to your FB page once you have died. Is it permanently deleted? Does your family, friends or spouse get control? You decide.

Hmm... tbh outside of a very small use case scenario for this I can't image anyone actually needing this. Plus what, you have to submit the death certificate to Facebook?? very odd and I cant image anyone wanting access to be honest. I do like the delete feature, I think I'll be putting that setting on mine and when ever I do get around to writing a Will I'll write it in that my death is to be announced to FB and the page deleted.

Source:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31438707

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

aaahhhhh. I would love to have it display a message, though I will probably delete my account before I do so  maybe I could get them to change my facebook page to this link : www.endoftheinternet.com

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

I really need something like this, it's very useful because on the internet all of a sudden your friend that you've been talking to for ages stops coming online and you don't know what happened, this is very good for preventing people from wondering what happened to their friends online. Steam and IP.Board should have something like this.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

while i think its an interesting feature, i dont think the option to have it deleted should be allowed without an archive of the user's profile being given to the family. many people post a lot of photos of events that happened during their life but the only place other family members could see them was on facebook. so i definately think that facebook should at least archive even just the photos and videos the user posted for the family before deleting the profile. maybe even the comments (if any) on each photo/video. just my two cents on it i guess

So Facebook now had a setting that allows you to decide what happens to your FB page once you have died. Is it permanently deleted? Does your family, friends or spouse get control? You decide.

Hmm... tbh outside of a very small use case scenario for this I can't image anyone actually needing this. Plus what, you have to submit the death certificate to Facebook?? very odd and I cant image anyone wanting access to be honest. I do like the delete feature, I think I'll be putting that setting on mine and when ever I do get around to writing a Will I'll write it in that my death is to be announced to FB and the page deleted.

Source:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31438707

FB account of people who die have always been a problem I think. Like people receiving birthday notification of people who are dead. I find it ok that they tackle this. They must be carfull to not make it look gloomy and like a testament tho.

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

aaahhhhh. I would love to have it display a message, though I will probably delete my account before I do so  maybe I could get them to change my facebook page to this link : www.endoftheinternet.com

What exactly is the end of the internet

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

go to that link. and find out.

or you can also go down my signature... but . only if you have the guts to... :D

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

or you can also go down my signature... but . only if you have the guts to... :D

Is it the last directory in the 13th root server?

K70 RGB

Is it the last directory in the 13th root server?

nah, its with the system 32 files 

don't forget to delete them

I'd put the border somewhere around here.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

nah, its with the system 32 files 

don't forget to delete them

Just deleted that because that is the source of all of all viruses. Now what?

Note: computer does not work anymore, using another computer.

K70 RGB

0JErl6d.jpg

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

I took the time to open all of that, my eyes are doing weird things now 0.0

while i think its an interesting feature, i dont think the option to have it deleted should be allowed without an archive of the user's profile being given to the family. many people post a lot of photos of events that happened during their life but the only place other family members could see them was on facebook. so i definately think that facebook should at least archive even just the photos and videos the user posted for the family before deleting the profile. maybe even the comments (if any) on each photo/video. just my two cents on it i guess

I don't think the option to have it deleted should be an option full stop, the account should be locked and that's it.

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Press 'F' to pay respects.

Win10 | Z77 Extreme4 | 3570k | Evga GTX 980 Ti SC+| 16GB Ripjaws | Corsair RM650 | CrucalMX 100 256 x2| Senn HD 558 |BenQ Zowie EC1A| KBP V60 Blues | Acer XB270H |

This made me think of possibly the only interesting thing about Facebook, for me at least.

So many people have it, that if their accounts were there forever, you'd have quite an interesting overview of a good chunk of the human race for people in the future to look back at.

...now, that's a double sided coin, because online most people are idiots. So. Who knows what they'll think of us :P

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

But how does it know if the person died??

- i7-2600k @ 4.7GHz - MSI 1070 8GB Gaming X - ASUS Maximus V Formula AC3 Edition - 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws @ 1600Mhz - Corsair RM1000 - 1TB 7200RPM Seagate HDD + 2TB 7200 HDD + 2x240GB M500 RAID 0 - Corsair 750D - Samsung PX2370 & ASUS ROG SWIFT -

Now facebook will automatically post updates for you after you die.

Status update: Died from a heart attack

a day later

Status Update: Getting my juices pumped out of my body by the embalmer

etc.

Since I don't plan to die in the next 60-70 years, I don't think Facebook will last that long.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Hopefully this will have rolled out to the UK by the time I die.

Oh wait... I'm not planning on dying any time soon...