Return rate of GeForce GTX 970 after memory scandal is below 5%

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

Why on earth do you want an 8GB card?

he plays on over 9000 res bruh

Why on earth do you want an 8GB card?

Future proof bruh

/s

If there are retailers responding to people who are asking for refunds claiming they wont do it unless there's a official statement from NVIDIA or manufacturers, then I think it's enough support.

What about the people I personaly know? If in my circle of known people, those who have a 970 and wanted to get refunds got it denied, what about the rest? I also know people who do not want to get refunds of the 970.

Again I'm not claiming the numbers are wrong, I'm claiming the interpretation from this numbers do not reflect the gravity of the 970 refund situations, because there are people getting their refunds denied. 5% is just the number of people who SUCCESSFULY managed to get the refund.

so because someone you know got refused then it must be happening everywhere.....you have no proof of this little understanding of how retail works or probability for that matter, so most of what you say is utter BS

5% is a lot of people returning their cards over this reason. That's 5 out of every 100 sold. If Nvidia sold 100,000 units then 5,000 of them got returned just for this one issue.

not as much as the 95% who didnt.  also thats 5% total. it includes the standard DOA/didnt want it returns. the article states that its more like 1-2%

Based on the original specs, the card should actually perform better than it does. Even though its performance is the same as before, buyers of the 970 did get a little ripped off.

Funny is that some of you don't get that people are not getting the performance they paid for - the card advertised had different specs.

what? people got what they paid for see below

Who the hell buys a GPU based on specs, instead of assessing how well it performs? Nvidia could have claimed it ran on pixie dust for all it mattered -- I looked at benchmarks and decided if it was worth purchasing from how well it actually did.

people buy from benchmarks, the benchmarks show the performance of the card you brought with the same "issues" how exactly are people getting scammed?

Im a little angry I ran out an bought one of these a few weeks before this came out, BUT I still love my 970. Even though it could have been better, it performs exactly as good as I thought it would.

why are you angry if the card performs exactly how you thought it would? if thats the case then you could not have been ripped off you payed fro a product and got it!

all of the information was there from the start. unless you brought your card based on rops, l2 cache and ram speed and never looked at a single benchmark then you have not been ripped off. its all there to for people to see, at every resolution in single and multi-card set-ups.  the cards used are the same as the cards you have nothing is different. so if you brought your card based on these benchmarks you have nothing to be pissed about. its pathetic that the biggest noise being made over this is coming from the people who dont even own a nvidia card let alone a 970.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

people buy from benchmarks, the benchmarks show the performance of the card you brought with the same "issues" how exactly are people getting scammed?

Precisely.

Have you contacted Nvidia?

"Hey,

First, I want you to know that I'm not just a mod, I work for Nvidia in Santa Clara

I totally get why so many people are upset. We messed up some of the stats on the reviewer kit and we didn't properly explain the memory architecture. I realize a lot of you guys rely on product reviews to make purchase decisions and we let you down.

It sucks because we're really proud of this thing. The GTX 970 is an amazing card and I genuinely believe it's the best card for the money that you can buy. We're working on a driver update that will tune what's allocated where in memory to further improve performance.

Having said that, I understand that this whole experience might have turned you off to the card. If you don't want the card anymore you should return it and get a refund or exchange. If you have any problems getting that done, let me know and I'll do my best to help.

--Peter"

http://www.maximumpc.com/nvidia_will_help_disgruntled_gtx_970_owners_get_refund_says_driver_update_coming_2015

This was all officially denied by nvidia and the guy edited his post afterwards.. they aren't creating a driver specifically for the 970 and they aren't helping with refunds... please stop using someone's random PR post on a forum as official statements...

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

it seams that the only people moaning and demanding heads on a plate seam to be people who dont own a 970.....funny that

I own a 970, I don't have an alternative and would have waited for a better deal if I knew the memory was segmented like this. And it's not funny, it's actually quite disgusting that so many consumers are so fine with a company outright lying to them about the specifications. I had higher expectations of consumer advocacy about the tech industry but apparently brand loyalty is more important.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

I own a 970, I don't have an alternative and would have waited for a better deal if I knew the memory was segmented like this. And it's not funny, it's actually quite disgusting that so many consumers are so fine with a company outright lying to them about the specifications. I had higher expectations of consumer advocacy about the tech industry but apparently brand loyalty is more important.

i understand what your saying but, people and me dont care cause the 970 kicksass eitherway

Yes, Nvidia outright lied to consumers about specs they don't even advertise to consumers. The nerve of them. 

Still has 4GB. They never mentioned ROPs and cache. They gave us benchmarks which people were HAPPY to use to justify purchasing a card but now that card is worthless? 

Alrighty....

The card still performs exactly how benchmarks show it performs, which is why we bought it in the first place.

The performance of the card didn't change after we found about this "issue"

Those benchmarks never tested for full utilization of the card's VRAM or the issues that arise because of it (micro stuttering and frame drops) they were simple average frame rate tests.

post-109492-0-08178500-1423136548.jpg

Probably going to leave an explanation here as well - the benchmarks are skin deep comparisons showing the average frame rate (the outside of the apple) and the bug lies deeper after biting in (actually trying to fully use the cards VRAM)

post-109492-0-08178500-1423136548.jpg

i understand what your saying but, people and me dont care cause the 970 kicksass eitherway

And that's why it's completely alright to dismiss everyone's qualms about the issue as amd fanboyism? Right...

And that's why it's completely alright to dismiss everyone's qualms about the issue as amd fanboyism? Right...

if you are so sad or mad about the 970 (if you have one) then go buy a different GPU. 

Yes, Nvidia outright lied to consumers about specs they don't even advertise to consumers. The nerve of them. 

Still has 4GB. They never mentioned ROPs and cache. They gave us benchmarks which people were HAPPY to use to justify purchasing a card but now that card is worthless? 

Alrighty....

They advertised 4GB of VRAM and never once gave any mention that it was segmented into a 3.5 fast lane and a .5 slow lane. "but it still has 4 GB!!!!!!!1" is annoying and shows you don't understand a very basic ethical component of advertising. Using simple words apparently is useless and I should go with analogies instead:

Say you were sold a car with 4 wheels. You discover after driving it that one wheel is made out of a substance different than the other 3 and it is weaker and breaks down faster. The car's specifications never listed this and it was never talked about. You're probably not going to run into an issue for a while, but at some point that tire will wear out a long time before the rest. This is known in most first world countries as false advertising.

I'm glad I do in fact have you on ignore because your post means nothing at all. They advertised 4GB of VRAM and never once gave any mention that it was segmented into a 3.5 fast lane and a .5 slow lane. "but it still has 4 GB!!!!!!!1" is annoying and shows you don't understand a very basic ethical component of advertising. Using simple words apparently is useless and I should go with analogies instead:

Say you were sold a car with 4 wheels. You discover after driving it that one wheel is made out of a substance different than the other 3 and it is weaker and breaks down faster. The car's specifications never listed this and it was never talked about. You're probably not going to run into an issue for a while, but at some point that tire will wear out a long time before the rest. This is known in most first world countries as false advertising.

You have me on a ignore list because you can't handle rational debate and instead prefer to stick your fingers in your ears and go  "NA NA NA NA NA I CANT HEAR YOU" whenever someone calls you out on your bullshit. 

if you are so sad or mad about the 970 (if you have one) then go buy a different GPU. 

?

Also, the brand retailer Gigabyte is not giving out refunds for the 970 due to this issue.

Oh No! my opinions are in the minority, society must be failing and everyone else must be wrong.

If the number of returns grows to 10%, that still means 90% are either happy or don't care, this is not an indication of Nvidias evil or the downfall of society.  there is not going to be riots in the street. 

If you are unhappy send Nvidia a letter, let everyone know you are unhappy, even go to consumer affairs and ask for help,  but don't go labeling other people as disgusting because they don't feel the need to raise a pitchfork. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Those benchmarks never tested for full utilization of the card's VRAM or the issues that arise because of it (micro stuttering and frame drops) they were simple average frame rate tests.

It doesn't matter, and is pointless using that as an argument. The 970 isn't powerful enough to utilize over 3.5GB of VRAM anyway. So in order to get the card to use over 3.5GB of VRAM you are going to have to run at 1440p, 1600p or 4K maxed out completely, coupled with some ridiculous AA settings like 8XMSAA and because of that the performance will tank anyway. This is why you see in sensible benchmarks all over the internet with any card in SLI/Crossfire for 4K they disable AA. Because without disabling it, you wouldn't be able to achieve a reasonable framerate. Even with AA disabled in 4K, most games even in SLI/Crossfire still have difficulty achieving reasonable framerates in demanding triple A titles. Now because you have to lower settings anyway, to achieve desired framerates. Your VRAM usage will go down. Therefore you will never actually see full utilization of the card's VRAM. 

Oh No! my opinions are in the minority, society must be failing and everyone else must be wrong.

If the number of returns grows to 10%, that still means 90% are either happy or don't care, this is not an indication of Nvidias evil or the downfall of society.  there is not going to be riots in the street. 

If you are unhappy send Nvidia a letter, let everyone know you are unhappy, even go to consumer affairs and ask for help,  but don't go labeling other people as disgusting because they don't feel the need to raise a pitchfork. 

It could be that the only ones who are outraged are the ones who aren't extremely brand loyal and who actually read tech forums/news.

It could be that people falsely believe a driver update is coming (officially denied by nvidia).

It could be that not every system is custom built.

It could be that not every system is bought for oneself.

It could be that MOST RETAILERS ARE NOT REFUNDING FOR THE VRAM ISSUE. (nvidia trying to help with refunds was also officially denied)

It could be that the only ones who are outraged are the ones who aren't extremely brand loyal and who actually read tech forums/news.

It could be that people falsely believe a driver update is coming (officially denied by nvidia).

It could be that not every system is custom built.

It could be that not every system is bought for oneself.

It could be that MOST RETAILERS ARE NOT REFUNDING FOR THE VRAM ISSUE. (nvidia trying to help with refunds was also officially denied)

If you have us on your ignore list why are you responding?  troll much?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

If you have us on your ignore list why are you responding?  troll much?

The correct term is attention seeking. And if we were actually ignored, he wouldn't see our replies be default at all which means he is actively clicking to show our hidden replies, which means he is LOOKING for arguments. 

AKA, trolling. More or less. 

The correct term is attention seeking. And if we were actually ignored, he wouldn't see our replies be default at all which means he is actively clicking to show our hidden replies, which means he is LOOKING for arguments. 

AKA, trolling. More or less. 

"Shots fierd" "LOUD airhorn"  :D

-snip-

Just so you know , the Echo decreases over time doesn't Increase like you mentioned, it should be in reverse order 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Just so you know , the Echo decreases over time doesn't Increase like you mentioned, it should be in reverse order 

Fixed.

-snip-

Maybe if you read the whole thing you would have had an "Aha moment" but instead you focus on one statement. The important part of all of that was the fact that you have to lower settings at higher resolutions anyway to achieve a desired framerate, so you will never actually be able to use over 3.5GB of VRAM. At least if you are a sensible gamer who likes to play at 50-60+ fps.