Return rate of GeForce GTX 970 after memory scandal is below 5%

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

You do realize that guy is not even talking about Nvidia and he is not an engineer. Subtitles are wrong but I do admit his laugh is funny.

It's a joke video, we all know he doesn't work for nvidia, it's funny as fuck but done the rounds now and is getting old. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

The card still performs exactly how benchmarks show it performs, which is why we bought it in the first place.

The performance of the card didn't change after we found about this "issue"

Is it still as future proof as claimed, no.

Is it still as future proof as claimed, no.

Who claimed it was future proof?

You'd basically change the card in two years...so for that amount of time the 970 will be enough.

This whole future-proof thing is stupid...it's like waiting for new parts to launch thinking they'll be better than the current ones, of course they will but when those launch...other rumors appear which claim that the next series will be groundbreaking and stuff..and you wait...again...

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

I returned mine yesterday. I still have another one. That single one 970 will feed me until there's a better alternative because i want MOAR PAUWER!

who cares...

it seams that the only people moaning and demanding heads on a plate seam to be people who dont own a 970.....funny that

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Now what really gets on my nerves is everyone seems to be all in a rage about it and complaining , then do nothing about it. Like stop supporting nvidia then , boycot them , return your f***ing card. And be done with it.

Anyways there is my daily rant out of the way , sorry if I've offended anyone , but that's how I see it

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

Who claimed it was future proof?

4GB is more future proof than 3.5GB+superslow0.5GB 

Now what really gets on my nerves is everyone seems to be all in a rage about it and complaining , then do nothing about it. Like stop supporting nvidia then , boycot them , return your f***ing card. And be done with it.

Anyways there is my daily rant out of the way , sorry if I've offended anyone , but that's how I see it

how can you return a 970 if you dont own one? most of the complaining comes from amd fanboys

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

4GB is more future proof than 3.5GB+superslow0.5GB 

You didn't answer my question.

how can you return a 970 if you dont own one? most of the complaining comes from amd fanboys

touché , I forgot about that lol but I hope people can at least see where my thoughts were ect...

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

You didn't answer my question.

The technical specs! Is it so hard to understand? 

The technical specs! Is it so hard to understand?

The specs aren't what we're talking about.

Following up with your other statement instead of a question: Nobody claimed it was future proof.

Nobody claimed it was future proof.

Ok you are absolutely right,  3.5GB+superslow 0.5GB is as future proof as the originally advertised 4GB.

Bye Bye

Ok you are absolutely right, 3.5GB+superslow 0.5GB is as future proof as the originally advertised 4GB.

Bye Bye

So who's the one being childish again? :P

So who's the one being childish again? :P

Thanks for proving me again, again and again. 

Retailers are awaiting OFFICIAL confirmation from NVIDIA that these cards were part of a recall. NVIDIA has told retailers that the card is meant to be this way, and it's essentially a bad case of miscommunication on their behalf.

Some retailers will take your card back for a refund out of good will, however they will not be advertising this. At the end of the day, there is nothing wrong with the card (as far as real world performance goes) and this is what NVIDIA is trying to communicate to retailers worldwide. It's still the best card at the price point and many people I know can't fault it, despite this issue. 

in short - NVIDIA have not issued an official recall (yet), so do not expect to receive your money back.

Need help with the RMA/retail side of things? Feel free to send me a PM, always happy to share my industry experience with others.

You know what's funny....before all this 4GB not 4GB of VRAM thing came up...everybody was super-excited with the 970, saying that it plays everything..it runs cool, quiet..and it has a great price.

Now..everyone.."Wow..this card is shit...it won't do anything one year later..blah blah blah".

I mean..da fuq? Did your 970s just went yolo and dropped frames in every game after that #RAMGate thing appeared? I think not....then why the heck are you complaining...I mean, I understand, it was false advertising(more or less)...but did it affect you in any other way other than psychological?

What if this thing never came up? You would have died without knowing that 50 years ago..when you had your GTX 970 you were having 3.5GB of fast VRAM..muahhahahahaha nVidia killed you...

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

Op put "incorrect specifications" which is correct but then said "and inability to use more than 3.5GB/s of memory" which is incorrect. The os just uses the 3.5 gigs of fast memory first and if needing more then it uses the .5 gigs of slower memory.

But w/e we all know this.

The OS? No, it's the card. The OS does nothing to control the card. The drivers are more likely to control the card's functions than the OS.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The OS? No, it's the card. The OS does nothing to control the card. The drivers are more likely to control the card's functions than the OS.

The pcper article states the OS controls the allocation of memory not the nvidia driver.

For me i have a G1 Gaming GTX 970, but at this time im waiting to see if Nvidia can fix this problem if not i will probably return the card.

The pcper article states the OS controls the allocation of memory not the nvidia driver.

For me i have a G1 Gaming GTX 970, but at this time im waiting to see if Nvidia can fix this problem if not i will probably return the card.

This is what PCPer states. Well, at least what I found anyways.

Source:http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Discloses-Full-Memory-Structure-and-Limitations-GTX-970

All gaming systems today already have multiple pools of graphics memory – what exists on the GPU and what the system memory has to offer via the PCI Express bus. With the GTX 970 and its 3.5GB/0.5GB division, the OS now has three pools of memory to access and to utilize.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

It can't be fixed, the memory speed issue is a hardware problem, at best a new driver might reduce some of the noticeable issues by reallocating non essential stuff to the last 512M but we don't know how effective that will be until it's tried.

Retailers are awaiting OFFICIAL confirmation from NVIDIA that these cards were part of a recall. NVIDIA has told retailers that the card is meant to be this way, and it's essentially a bad case of miscommunication on their behalf.

Some retailers will take your card back for a refund out of good will, however they will not be advertising this. At the end of the day, there is nothing wrong with the card (as far as real world performance goes) and this is what NVIDIA is trying to communicate to retailers worldwide. It's still the best card at the price point and many people I know can't fault it, despite this issue. 

in short - NVIDIA have not issued an official recall (yet), so do not expect to receive your money back.

It's a grey area, recall or not legally the customers have a right to a refund. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

At the end of the day its still a good card.

I'd get 3.

I agree. It's an amazing card, but the VRAMGate "scandal" has been over publicised.

I agree. It's an amazing card, but the VRAMGate "scandal" has been over publicised.

It's kinda funny how the people most vocal about it seem to be the AMD fanboys who would never buy one to begin with, while those who did buy them (some even buying two) are more content with their purchase.   It seems the severity of this problem truly is in the eye of the beholder and somewhat dependent on company bias. 

AND before anyone goes linking me to the nvidia forums, I am talking predominately about this forum.