Return rate of GeForce GTX 970 after memory scandal is below 5%

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

No, obviously not. Which would probably be why I said refurbished & re-certified.

But that's pretty much what the second quote said in your reply, but you dismissed it.

Yeah...

What?

Hmm I can pretty much use all of my vram without any stutters/freezes with the GPU at 99% usage all the time, not sure why you would return it >.>

Nope, i don't see why you would return the card unless you were buying based on how many ROPs it has and not the actual performance.

Intel i5-3570K/ Gigabyte GTX 1080/ Asus PA248Q/ Sony MDR-7506/MSI Z77A-G45/ NHD-14/Samsung 840 EVO 256GB+ Seagate Barracuda 3TB/ 16GB HyperX Blue 1600MHZ/  750w PSU/ Corsiar Carbide 500R

@Kloaked Retailers reconditioning electronics is different then manufactures doing so.  It takes more then a walmart employee and some sulfane wrap to even pretend to guaranty its "NEW".

I dismissed the second part because; 1 - it hasn't happened, and it's wishy washy carrot dangling fluff until it does.  2 - the additional costs in freight and re-certifying, though unknown, will cut margins and may not even be worth nvidias time.

@Kloaked Retailers reconditioning electronics is different then manufactures doing so.  It takes more then a walmart employee and some sulfane wrap to even pretend to guaranty its "NEW".

I dismissed the second part because; 1 - it hasn't happened, and it's wishy washy carrot dangling fluff until it does.  2 - the additional costs in freight and re-certifying, though unknown, will cut margins and my not even be worth nvidias time.

I honestly think there's an error in their speculation on what retailers are going to do with the cards, as in they didn't actually finish what they were attempting to say:

Suppliers of graphics cards who voluntarily decided to accept returns will get them back, test them, ensure that they work properly and then will either market them again as new.

Instead of explaining the rest of the "either" part, the sentence just ends.

~5% is a LOT

Well, we only saw a few people talk about returning their 970 anyways here..

I think 5 to 20 percent off is not enough for basically a second hand GTX 970..

dont buy it then

I wonder what the return rate would be if every owner knew of the problem. I still don't think this problem is going to effect most users so I don't see a point in returning them. But, it would still be interesting to know.

The ridiculous part is that it's 5% through the efforts of resellers and some manufacturers and the resistence of NVIDIA, other resellers and other manufacturers... so yeah... it's not only 5%, not even close to that it would be WAY MORE.

But let's hope the lawsuits will make it right :D

WHAT you know that nvidia reps and heads of departments were trying to get people there money back even though it has jack shit to do with nvidia. its down to the sellers to issue refunds to consumer not manufacutres, which by the way, nvidia is not.  gigabyte, msi, asus et el are the manufactures. and lawsuits, make it right.......haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, fuck me i think i just wet myself.  the only person to benefit from a lawsuit in situations like this is the law firm, just look at the intel payout.....

Well you can do a simple market research, check out NVIDIA forums, in fact many other tech forums, they have several cases of people who's refund got denied and NVIDIA so far didn't even make a statement to reach out for the frauded customers.

JP measured the returns made so far, they didn't measure the people who is willing to return the card but have SEVERAL obstacles in the way and some of them get the refund denied - and this is all with a product falsely advertised, witch is ilegal.

So the tittle should be "SUCESSFULL RETURN RATE OF GEFORCE GTX 970 AFTER MEMOERY SCANDAL IS BELOW 5%, ATTEMPED REFUNDS IS NOT YET KNOWN"

To date, bigger textures in the future and...

Yeah, but 0.5GB are almost unusable.

5% can still be a lot of money, NVIDIA wouldn't have lost any of it if they released the correct information from the start.

Think about it, the article talks about selling 2.5million units. That's 125,000 returns, or over $41million. You don't want to lose $41million, nobody wants to lose $41million. 

seriously the but hurt from amd fan boys is beyond a joke.  ACTUAL GTX 970 OWNERS HAVE SPOKEN, and guess what THEY DONT GIVE A FUCKING SHIT. the fact is the 3.5gb memory dosent make a difference. some one on here linked to jayz vid they showed this, i personally have ran farcry 4 @ super sampled resolution and 8xmsaa just to get the memory maxed out and saw now dips stutters of freezes, it ran butter smooth, well as butter smooth as 17fps can. the fact is games just dont need 4gb vram right noe unless your running 4k and then the card cant handle it any way.  also if DX12 is allowing sli to double the ram then 7gb/1gb will be more than enough for the most demanding of games. 

BTW a percentage is proportionate meaning it doesnt matter what figure you put to it is still 5%...and no its not alot. its also an estimate of the total returns, if people read the article it also states that manufactures estimate that returns for this issue alone are more like 1-2%

can we please put this to bed now

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

BTW a percentage is proportionate meaning it doesnt matter what figure you put to it is still 5%...and no its not alot. its also an estimate of the total returns, if people read the article it also states that manufactures estimate that returns for this issue alone are more like 1-2%

Millions of dollars is still millions of dollars.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Millions of dollars is still millions of dollars.

and millions still aint all that when compared to hundreds of millions

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Do we really need to go in this circle again like we did last week? Lol.

The circle of truth?

The circle of truth?

Wot? No?

That's not even remotely close to what I'm referring to.

If we were to go in this circle again, it would end up in another shit flinging, 9001 page thread about how Nvidia lied (something that everyone agrees on), blah blah blah.

What I mean is, stop with the childishness, please. 

Criticizing that people are not returning their cards is childish OK OK OK

Wot? No?

That's not even remotely close to what I'm referring to.

If we were to go in this circle again, it would end up in another shit flinging, 9001 page thread about how Nvidia lied (something that everyone agrees on), blah blah blah.

QFT. 

People need to understand that 5% returns jives with the 5% failure rate that companies anticipate and build into their products. Nvidia might actually not even see financial hurt from this since the price tag budgets for these issues in the first place. 

Just saying, 5% is a low return number anyways. People really want this to be a mountain but it barely qualifies as a molehill. 

dont buy it then

WHAT you know that nvidia reps and heads of departments were trying to get people there money back even though it has jack shit to do with nvidia. its down to the sellers to issue refunds to consumer not manufacutres, which by the way, nvidia is not.  gigabyte, msi, asus et el are the manufactures. and lawsuits, make it right.......haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, fuck me i think i just wet myself.  the only person to benefit from a lawsuit in situations like this is the law firm, just look at the intel payout.....

When you have a company that made ZERO official statements, and you have SEVERAL manufacturers and resellersthat claimed NVIDIA would not allow for refund - if you wet yourself you should check a fucking doctor ASAP, you either have physical that do not allow you to retain fuilds, or mental issues that make you release fluids over typing about NVIDIA refunds.

seriously the but hurt from amd fan boys is beyond a joke.  ACTUAL GTX 970 OWNERS HAVE SPOKEN, and guess what THEY DONT GIVE A FUCKING SHIT. the fact is the 3.5gb memory dosent make a difference. some one on here linked to jayz vid they showed this, i personally have ran farcry 4 @ super sampled resolution and 8xmsaa just to get the memory maxed out and saw now dips stutters of freezes, it ran butter smooth, well as butter smooth as 17fps can. the fact is games just dont need 4gb vram right noe unless your running 4k and then the card cant handle it any way.  also if DX12 is allowing sli to double the ram then 7gb/1gb will be more than enough for the most demanding of games. 

can we please put this to bed now

Nah the stupidity of some NVIDIA fanboys is just worthy of a case study - in fact I'm sure NVIDIA made this a case study. 

Oh have they spoken? Quote it please.

Now you come at me with some biased fanboy mumbo jumbo?! Please lol... "the fact is games just dont need 4gb vram right noe unless your running 4k and then the card cant handle it any way" WAT?!?!?!

Clearly you have no clue about any of this - "a percentage is proportionate meaning it doesnt matter what figure you put to it is still 5%" what the fuck did I just read?!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand added to ignore list.

/wrap

Criticizing that people are not returning their cards is childish OK OK OK

It is, because they're not experiencing any issues obviously.

It is, because they're not experiencing any issues obviously.

At the moment, wait for textures getting bigger.

Also it is the thread's topic so I should be allowed to criticize the peoples behavior.

At the moment, wait for textures getting bigger.

Also it is the thread's topic so I should be allowed to criticize the peoples behavior.

You're allowed to say whatever you want, but you can't expect no one to disagree with you and bring up valid points:

1. No piece of hardware is future proof anyways.
  2. We all know Nvidia lied. We're not excusing them.
  3. The 970 performs the same as it did when it launched.
  4. The bandwagon hate is why this is such a big deal. The internet just wants something to hate, unless it's Valve because everything they do is perfect.

The bandwagon hate is why this is such a big deal. The internet just wants something to hate, unless it's Valve because everything they do is perfect.

You are acting very childish yourself...

You are acting very childish yourself...

Kk. I'm glad bringing up valid points is childish. :)

Stupid consumers are stupid.  They just don't get it.  Congratulations on letting Nvidia know they can do whatever they want to the majority of you who bought GTX 970s. This also doesn't help in getting other companies to clean up their act and not lie to the consumer.  Also the facts still are that on boxes companies promised certain specs and they are not there.  Nvidia and the companies that stamp their brand on the cards LIED!  Why don't you get that letting them get away with this is bad for the future of pc hardware and the world in general?  I would have returned my card immediately once it was clear they lied.  Get morals people and get a brain!  How does the world become better by letting them go on with business as normal without feeling some pain in the wallet?

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

When you have a company that made ZERO official statements, and you have SEVERAL manufacturers and resellersthat claimed NVIDIA would not allow for refund - if you wet yourself you should check a fucking doctor ASAP, you either have physical that do not allow you to retain fuilds, or mental issues that make you release fluids over typing about NVIDIA refunds.

Nah the stupidity of some NVIDIA fanboys is just worthy of a case study - in fact I'm sure NVIDIA made this a case study. 

Oh have they spoken? Quote it please.

Now you come at me with some biased fanboy mumbo jumbo?! Please lol... "the fact is games just dont need 4gb vram right noe unless your running 4k and then the card cant handle it any way" WAT?!?!?!

Clearly you have no clue about any of this - "a percentage is proportionate meaning it doesnt matter what figure you put to it is still 5%" what the fuck did I just read?!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand added to ignore list.

/wrap

what manufactures? what resellers? what claims? where is your evidance? how is it overclockers and ebuyer are accepting refunds then? more over how is it down to nvidia to tell manufactures not to issue refunds? nvidia didnt make those cards and the manufactures cant send them back to nvidia...learn how the whole card manufacturing process works before you try to sound informed.

they spoke when refunds never spiked.

what games running in 1080p need 4gb or more of vram...here ill spot you shadow of mordor, even though it neeeds 6gb for a texture pack that changes little.

People making a big deal about the "memory issue" need to get over it, if they have issues with the reduced speed of the last .5gb of VRAM then they should just return the card and stop bitching about it, or be mature and get over it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Stupid consumers are stupid.  They just don't get it.  Congratulations on letting Nvidia know they can do whatever they want to the majority of you who bought GTX 970s. This also doesn't help in getting other companies to clean up their act and not lie to the consumer.  Also the facts still are that on boxes companies promised certain specs and they are not there.  Nvidia and the companies that stamp their brand on the cards LIED!  Why don't you get that letting them get away with this is bad for the future of pc hardware and the world in general?  I would have returned my card immediately once it was clear they lied.  Get morals people and get a brain!  How does the world become better by letting them go on with business as normal without feeling some pain in the wallet?

The best way to get your point across is to call consumers stupid, of course. Maybe you need to stop with the ad hominem responses and think a little yourself before you issue blanket statements about consumers. 

Congrats on not reading. :)

Kk. I'm glad bringing up valid points is childish. :)

Thanks for proving me again.  

dont buy it then

i was talking about the return rate

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.