Return rate of GeForce GTX 970 after memory scandal is below 5%

Rohith_Kumar_Sp

AWg8mHZ.png

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

It could be that the only ones who are outraged are the ones who aren't extremely brand loyal and who actually read tech forums/news.

It could be that people falsely believe a driver update is coming (officially denied by nvidia).

It could be that not every system is custom built.

It could be that not every system is bought for oneself.

It could be that MOST RETAILERS ARE NOT REFUNDING FOR THE VRAM ISSUE. (nvidia trying to help with refunds was also officially denied)

They shouldn't refund the "vram issue". It was advertised as having 4GB and it has 4GB. You would be defrauding the retailer by RMAing this.

And yeah, most people who are "outraged" by this are extremely brand loyal and most have never even seen a 970 in the flesh and never had any intention of. Like I said, I bought these because they traded blows with the 290X, a card I was also looking at getting, at the resolution I wanted to play at (according to benchmarks that are as accurate now as they ever were, and according to my own gameplay experience since) and were at the time nearly £200 cheaper. But do go on about my brand loyalty.

Do you actually think ROPS means anything to the average gamer?

I am not an average gamer. I like to look at specs to see what we're getting. Lying is lying. I am not going to try to return my 970 over this issue - it's still a great card, but from my perspective, it should perform better than it does.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I am not an average gamer. I like to look at specs to see what we're getting. Lying is lying. I am not going to try to return my 970 over this issue - it's still a great card, but from my perspective, it should perform better than it does.

If it performs better than it does, there will no point on buying the 980. The current 970 when overclocked, already performs like 980.

Corsair 760T White | Asus X99 Deluxe | Intel i7-5930k @ 4.4ghz | Corsair H110 | G.Skill Ripjawz 2400mhz | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce G1 Gaming (1584mhz/8000mhz) | Corsair AX 760w | Samsung 850 pro | WD Black 1TB | IceModz Sleeved Cables | IceModz RGB LED pack

I own a 970, I don't have an alternative and would have waited for a better deal if I knew the memory was segmented like this. And it's not funny, it's actually quite disgusting that so many consumers are so fine with a company outright lying to them about the specifications. I had higher expectations of consumer advocacy about the tech industry but apparently brand loyalty is more important.

they never outright lied. they miscommunicated specs that most people dont understand let alone care about and the card has 4gb vram

Those benchmarks never tested for full utilization of the card's VRAM or the issues that arise because of it (micro stuttering and frame drops) they were simple average frame rate tests.

Probably going to leave an explanation here as well - the benchmarks are skin deep comparisons showing the average frame rate (the outside of the apple) and the bug lies deeper after biting in (actually trying to fully use the cards VRAM)

those benchmarks have tested everything that a normal user does. they test synthetic and real world gaming in most of the major titles at 1080, 1440 and 4k in single and multi gpu set-ups. how have they not tested the full utilisation? heres some food for thought. 970 vs 290x is widely accepted that the 970 trumps the 290x @ 1080, that @1440 there even for the most part and @ 4k the 290x pushes out the 970. could this be due to the memory? if it is then not only are people aware, but the vram "issue" isnt as bad as what people are making out

Say you were sold a car with 4 wheels. You discover after driving it that one wheel is made out of a substance different than the other 3 and it is weaker and breaks down faster. The car's specifications never listed this and it was never talked about. You're probably not going to run into an issue for a while, but at some point that tire will wear out a long time before the rest. This is known in most first world countries as false advertising.

errrrrr no. if they did not advertise the quality of the tyres then how is it false advertising...they sold you a car with 4 wheels it has 4 wheels you drove it with 4 wheels, it didnt have 3 wheels and a breeze block it had four wheels. you sir need to research what false advertising is.

It could be that the only ones who are outraged are the ones who aren't extremely brand loyal and who actually read tech forums/news.

It could be that people falsely believe a driver update is coming (officially denied by nvidia).

It could be that not every system is custom built.

It could be that not every system is bought for oneself.

It could be that MOST RETAILERS ARE NOT REFUNDING FOR THE VRAM ISSUE. (nvidia trying to help with refunds was also officially denied)

it could be there is no vram issue and thats why people are not issuing refunds it could be that the cad performs as intended and advertised

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

it could be there is no vram issue and thats why people are not issuing refunds it could be that the cad performs as intended and advertised

"There is no VRAM issue"  "the card performs as intended and advertised"

errrrrr no. if they did not advertise the quality of the tyres then how is it false advertising...they sold you a car with 4 wheels it has 4 wheels you drove it with 4 wheels, it didnt have 3 wheels and a breeze block it had four wheels. you sir need to research what false advertising is.

False advertising or deceptive advertising is the use of false or misleading statements in advertising, and misrepresentation of the product at hand, which may negatively affect many stakeholders, especially consumers. As advertising has the potential to persuade people into commercial transactions that they might otherwise avoid, many governments around the world use regulations to control false, deceptive or misleading advertising. "Truth" refers to essentially the same concept, that customers have the right to know what they are buying, and that all necessary information should be on the label.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

snip

I wanted to like your post but I don't fully agree about the vram issue.  Even though from a performance and review perspective there is no issue, from an enthusiasts perspective I feel an assumption that ram speed should be consistent and not ramp down would be reasonable.

I guess the issue for people on these forums is that they are confusing two very separate components to the problem:

1.  Being guilty of false advertising doesn't mean it was intentional.  It's only unethical if they knew but did nothing.

2.  Misrepresenting a product doesn't dictate the severity of a products issues, only the people who bought 970s can decide how severe the misrepresentation is.  Because only they know what the reasoning was for buying that particular product.   I.E  If if I find out today that my 570 doesn't have x number of cores,  then I couldn't give a shit. I bought it based on how it performed in crysis/farcry and how much it cost.  The reality is I couldn't even tell you how many cores it has, how many rops, what size the cache is (or the fucking ram for that matter), hell I couldn't even tell you the TDP.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

False advertising or deceptive advertising is the use of false or misleading statements in advertising

what statements did nvidia make other than rop/l2 that were false? in your car analogy where did you advertise the quality of the tyres? you said 4 wheels, the quality if those tyres are not a prerequisite of the wheels. you dont need good tyres for a wheel to be called a wheel, you dont need tyres at all.  your assumption that the tyres should be good and all the same is baseless. 

I wanted to like your post but I don't fully agree about the vram issue.  Even though from a performance and review perspective there is no issue, from an enthusiasts perspective I feel an assumption that ram speed should be consistent and not ramp down would be reasonable.

I guess the issue for people on these forums is that they are confusing two very separate components to the problem:

1.  Being guilty of false advertising doesn't mean it was intentional.  It's only unethical if they knew but did nothing.

2.  Misrepresenting a product doesn't dictate the severity of a products issues, only the people who bought 970s can decide how severe the misrepresentation is.  Because only they know what the reasoning was for buying that particular product.   I.E  If if I find out today that my 570 doesn't have x number of cores,  then I couldn't give a shit. I bought it based on how it performed in crysis/farcry and how much it cost.  The reality is I couldn't even tell you how many cores it has, how many rops, what size the cache is (or the fucking ram for that matter), hell I couldn't even tell you the TDP.

i dont think that the speed of the individual ram chips or the controller matters on a chip by chip basis, its the speed of the combined chips that matters. from what i have seen on nvidias site memory bandwidth and speed is upto 224 GB/sec. upto being the key phrase, and as long as it can reach this speed then they havent lied.

i will be honest im not 100% sure with the tech specs. i like so many others brought my card based on benchmarks so feel free to correct me if i have misinterpreted the specs 

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017