How to make port forwarding work?

Lets assume I want to use torrent on Ubuntu "SAFELY". How many places would I have to change the port forwarding settings manually to make it work?

What I'm thinking of doing (

1. Going to the router; setting up static IP and assigning some random port number( 55 ).

2. Going to the computer's settings and allowing that random port number ( 55 ) to pass through ( Not sure how this is done).

3. Going to the torrent's settings and allowing same port number ( 55 ) to be used.

)

1 hour ago, DiSpLaY mY nAmE said:

Going to the router; setting up static IP and assigning some random port number( 55 ).

That varies from router to router, the only way it could be consistent from platform to platform is if youre using a luCI based router system and huge chance you arent. Whats your router model?

1 hour ago, DiSpLaY mY nAmE said:

Going to the torrent's settings and allowing same port number ( 55 ) to be used.

Same with this as well. Varies from torrent to torrent app. But if you are using qBittorent like a normal human being, it would be on Connection tab on the options menu, Proxy Sever submenu. RTM on how to set it up.

But really if you are going for torrenting safely, Besides the usual logic, is to make sure you use a VPN or VPS to make sure your IP isnt your actual IP in the peer. Port forwarding and proxy doesnt do much to your raw IP address.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

35 minutes ago, SorryBella said:

But really if you are going for torrenting safely, Besides the usual logic, is to make sure you use a VPN or VPS to make sure your IP isnt your actual IP in the peer. Port forwarding and proxy doesnt do much to your raw IP address.

Agree with this, OP should also use vpn to make sure isp does not screw around with him as they are many copyright trolls out their especially if he's downloading questionable stuff (cough that should be paid for... not trying to accuse you.... just trying to help a fellow person out. )@DiSpLaY mY nAmE

Just to make sure I understand this I would need to open port at all levels (router, OS, torrent app) for this to work and it has to be the same port number at all levels.

5 hours ago, SorryBella said:

Whats your router model?

I think its some ax router.

RTM on how to set it up

what is this? I searched it online and it shows as some windows iso file.

VPN is good choice but what about anti-virus software? Do I need to install it and if so which one you guys recommend?

33 minutes ago, DiSpLaY mY nAmE said:

what is this?

Acronym for Read The Manual. Just read up on specific way to host it locally.

34 minutes ago, DiSpLaY mY nAmE said:

VPN is good choice but what about anti-virus software?

Nope. Most bittorrent threats are malwares and rootkits, not "viruses". I really couldnt recommend any antivirus or antimalware for Linux because i know everyone is cagey about it, and even then a lot of threats are still windows based. Just apply logic mainly, dont rely on software to stop you from installing stupid thing.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

Do I have to enable Upnp because I don't think I can do it manually. I just checked and it said    "When you connect to the server location of your choice that offers port forwarding, a random port will automatically be assigned."   Which means I will have to repeat steps 1,2,3 and change port every time I connect to a vpn server.

On 5/28/2024 at 4:41 AM, SorryBella said:

Acronym for Read The Manual. Just read up on specific way to host it locally.

Your forgot "F" lol. 

2 minutes ago, goatedpenguin said:

Your forgot "F" lol. 

Im reserving the F for particularly dense people. OP doesnt need that at all.

11 minutes ago, DiSpLaY mY nAmE said:

Do I have to enable Upnp because I don't think I can do it manually

If you already opened a port specifically for a service you dont need to use uPNP. Most of the time uPNP is to the detriment of your safety really, i dont turn it on if i can solve a closed port issue via port forwarding.

1 hour ago, SorryBella said:

If you already opened a port specifically for a service you dont need to use uPNP.

But the VPN is giving me random port, does it not matter what VPN port I get? Port number only matter on my local network? And how will I check the open port using online open port checker; do I enter VPN port number or my local network port number?

Im also thinking if I could just use port triggering and it work better because I can manually open and close the ports from the computer by triggering it ( not sure how that work) each time I get new port from the VPN. Why dont people use port triggering it sounds like it work even better than port forwarding and when you turn off the computer or the connection the port would close.

On 5/31/2024 at 1:18 AM, DiSpLaY mY nAmE said:

Im also thinking if I could just use port triggering and it work better because I can manually open and close the ports from the computer by triggering it ( not sure how that work) each time I get new port from the VPN. Why dont people use port triggering it sounds like it work even better than port forwarding and when you turn off the computer or the connection the port would close.

People do use port triggering but it depends on their needs and if they choose to use it. I used it on my dlink 604 router 20 years ago.