[Scratch Build Work Log] - Mirror's Edge

mirrors-edge-logo.jpg

By: Complx

Hello everyone!

Time for my 2nd scratch built case! This time the focus will be around one of my favorite games of all time, Mirrors Edge.  And with Mirrors Edge 2 being announced at E3 this year, I thought, what a better way to celebrate than to build a case around the art direction from the game.  I will be using this thread as a complete build log, from design, to CAD modeling, construction, and finishing. 

So lets get started shall we!

One of the many reason I feel in the love with the game was the look and feel of the environment, as well as the game play itself.  The environment was very vibrant, bright colors, a stark contrast to a lot of the dull brown a lot of games seem to have.  For those of you who have not seen or played the game, here are some images for it that I drew inspiration from.

mirrors-edge-pc-3.jpg

14-mirrors-edge-the-city-3.jpeg

City3.jpg

mirrors-edge-review-20090112061044536_64

For now, all that I have is an initial sketch of what I hope the final design to look like, I will be doing some photoshop work to it and do more sketching and drawing to get some of the finer details work out in the beginning.

A overall ideas I have at the moment about the design

•  Completely white exterior, one of the prominent features of the game is its use of white in all of the exterior buildings
  • Bright colored interior, again, the use of very vibrant colors on the interiors of the buildings was interesting to see and I want to incorporate that into the design as well
  • Need to be clean, inside and out, no mess no slop. 

If anyone has anything else they would like to add say, feel free to comment!

I hope this goes well and thanks for viewing!

Stay Tuned!

qOdTCeZ.jpg

Feel free to check out the livestream channel, I will be doing a lot of CAD modeling of this project, and you can watch the progress as I go. Times will be random, but check every so often, you might catch me at a time when I'm streaming!

Livestream: http://www.twitch.tv/complxdesign

Cool idea can't wait to see the result

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

Cant wait to see more.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Nice sketch, and I always like seeing new scratch builds, so bring it on! :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

(pulls up chair) this is gonna be good!

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

This concept looks quite unique and I'll surely follow it :)

Awesome!! Looks like a modified version of the new Mac Pro! LOL.

mac_pro_new.jpg

Can't wait to see the completed product.  Subscribed!

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

Subbed, I love those game inspired builds! First someone with an Aperture Science build and now this :D

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

I really like the way you think, and would love to see you accomplish this, but 1 thing is bothering me, if you put your motherboard on the "back wall" looking from the "tattoo logo" view, there will be no place to put the I/O board/connections, it will go on the side... so you'll have no place on the left side for a rad, unless you plan on doing it extremly "cube-y"...

hope this makes sense, just don't want to see you to go through all the trouble with producing the build, that might be faulty and not planned good enough...

because you said:

• Need to be clean, inside and out, no mess no slop.

-snip-

May be a tighter squeeze, but the motherboard can be moved behind the rad, since it's usually only 120mm wide. That particular side rad could be moved forward a bit.

Diagram isn't probably drawn to scale, the motherboard looks far too narrow.

Looks nice! You definitely need a red plank attached to the top edge, as well as a miniature Faith just about to jump off.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

May be a tighter squeeze, but the motherboard can be moved behind the rad, since it's usually only 120mm wide. That particular side rad could be moved forward a bit.

Diagram isn't probably drawn to scale, the motherboard looks far too narrow.

Looks nice! You definitely need a red plank attached to the top edge, as well as a miniature Faith just about to jump off.

yup, it's possible to make it like that, I agree on the narrow MoBo... I'm just saying what i noticed first, or a Faith that is hanging on the edge of the chassis/case up top or on the side/on the mesh of the fans/radiators, that would be sooooo COOL :D

I'm looking forward to this build.

I love Mirrors Edge and i like your sketch. I wonder if you plan to paint the components to strenghten the contrast between the colors.

If the outside is getting a white coating, will the case inside be painted in a very vibrant green, red or orange, or just left white?

144Hz goodness

This is really promising! Can't wait for the build to start!

This looks like it camee right out of one of @Nagby 's designs :D (except that's not actually a case):

wut16.png

Looks cool, can't wait to see more! Subscribed :D

Awesome looking!

Can't wait for more. :D

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

That looks awesome! So excited to see more.

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

I will be starting some of the CAD modeling today, if you would like to stop by and watch the progress, join me here:

http://www.livestream.com/c0mplxpc

I will be here for a few hours, so feel free to stop by!

Also, there will be a lot of CAD work with this project, so I will be streaming the progress from time to time, check the link I posted in the first post every now and then.

Can someone explain in simple terms what CAD is?

Computer aided design for 3d modeling.

Can't wait. Mirror's edge is a great game, for both its game play and its environments.

Can't wait. Mirror's Edge is probably one of my favorite games like ever! 

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Computer aided design for 3d modeling.

Not specific to 3D, but generally used for 3D modelling as it's easier to visualize. Old-fashioned CAD was all 2D with some 3D isometric sketching. 

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2