[Scratch Build Work Log] - Mirror's Edge

How'd you get the PC components into Solidworks? Unless you modeled them yourself. I tried importing sketchup files into SW (convert to DWG, import in SW), but it didn't work.

e: Regarding your build, you could probably shave 6-12" by reducing the space above and below the motherboard. Also, the top 4 inches or so could be reduced if it doesn't have much in it.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

How are you going to secure the GPU brackets? They will be too heavy and will snap

How'd you get the PC components into Solidworks? Unless you modeled them yourself. I tried importing sketchup files into SW (convert to DWG, import in SW), but it didn't work.

e: Regarding your build, you could probably shave 6-12" by reducing the space above and below the motherboard. Also, the top 4 inches or so could be reduced if it doesn't have much in it.

I usually use GrabCAD to find parts, if they don't have anything I usually make it myself.  Im still messing around with how and where everything will be placed, so things will be getting smaller in the future, im still just playing around and have not made an final decisions about anything yet, allows me to have a bit more freedom and fun when designing both the interior and exterior of the case.

How are you going to secure the GPU brackets? They will be too heavy and will snap

Everything is still in the planning stages, nothing set in stone yet, I know the GPUs need to be locked down to something in order to keep them from sagging/snapping, so that is something I have considered in the final design already, just trying to find a unique way of doing it.  Thanks for the concern though!

Wow this is great so far, I love the designs ! Great work !

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

I reckon the build will be done when Mirror's Edge is (supposably) coming out? 

Anyways, simply love the sketches and I am more than looking forward to the actual build of it. 

The size of that thing is just stupid! But in a good way :D

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Quick update!

I know there has been very little activity on my end with this project, things have gotten very crazy in my day to day life so I have no had a whole lot of time to devote to this, after I finished the CAD model in the last updated post, I realized just how massive it was going to be. My goal is to make it smaller, this will probably mean using different parts than I originally thought, but so be it.

I had some free time during lunch today to do some sketching, these were just a few things I came up with off the top of my head, I will continue working when I have time and post what comes up as I go. Please note, some of these were done very quickly so they are not of the best looking quality.

Stay Tuned!

oOLFtcGh.jpg

5zbqufah.jpg

Great concept. Reminds me of the Thermaltake Level 10 GT laying on its side! I hope this concept comes to life :)

MetallicAcid

We will see, like I said, I'm still playing around with the form.  Though in the end, whether it will be plausible to build or not is still something left to be seen haha.  I will be doing more sketching today to see what I can come up with.

• 6 months later...

What...you though this project was dead?

Nope, going to start from scratch on this one, I'm already getting started so feel free to drop by, doing a lot of concepting to get this project back on track!

http://www.twitch.tv/complxdesign

What...you though this project was dead?

Nope, going to start from scratch on this one, I'm already getting started so feel free to drop by, doing a lot of concepting to get this project back on track!

http://www.twitch.tv/complxdesign

Nice to see you designing! I'd love to do something like that as a hobby but don't have the skill/equipment/knowledge :(

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

Ahh, ME. One of the best games ever made.

Outside I absolutely love your ideas. However, inside, IMO, looks like a coffee machine.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Maybe make a sort of parkour course from water cooling pipes? with the red/white theme?

i like the concept!

:/

its a full foot higher that my 800D, which is large case on its own.

With that height... Build it into your desk as a leg for it.. That would be epic.

Hardware: | CPU: i5 3570k | Graphics: MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Mobo: MSI z77a-G45 Gaming | OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit | 

Peripherals: Logitech G502 | CM Storm Quickfire Pro (Red switch) |

after alll the sketches itching to see how the build develops 

One of the biggest issues, at least for me, was the pure size of the thing!  It would have been way bigger than anything on the market and would have cost a pretty penny to try and get it built, both in manufacture costs and hardware costs!

I wanted to go with something a bit smaller and simpler, while still having some of the elemets from ME incorperated into it.  To do this I shrank my overall scale of what I want the system to be able to do.  Someone had suggested to me that it could be used as a Steam box or a Steam streaming station which is a concept I have been wanting to try for sometime.   This project was started when the Steam box was not even on the market yet, so I thought this would be a good use for the final prodcut, since I would actually have a use for it in the end.

These are still some rough concept models, but they should give you and idea of what I want the final verison to look like, also,  it will be mounted to the wall like my last project!

evwbKvn.jpg
8Ds6nwe.jpg
ljb2iyP.jpg
P6svciE.jpg
qdCT350.jpg
44hwAx0.jpg

Very, very nice! I Have seen some of your stream back when you revived the project and I really liked the stream, too sad that I couldn't watch it completely because I had to go and your broadcasts aren't saved :P

I really like the looks of it, will the red 'strip' be lit as well? That'd be amazing!

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

This looks fantastic!

How will you access the back IO? Will you make an extension for each cable? second, where is the power supply?

Something I thought of, how about rotating the motherboard 90 degrees so the IO will be in the top like the FT03 mini?

oh my gaaaaawd, I am planning a custom pc build and my fan grills are almost exactly the same as yours, but mine had levels ;)