[Scratch Build Work Log] - Mirror's Edge

Not specific to 3D, but generally used for 3D modelling as it's easier to visualize. Old-fashioned CAD was all 2D with some 3D isometric sketching.

There's also electronic CAD software for circuits and/or components (transistors, coils

etc.), a rather different thing as well. Although some of those can show 3D images of

the modeled object AFAIK.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Well, after a few bugs with the streaming software last tim,e (mostly my CAD program being bogged down to the point of crashing) I decided to get something a bit more light weight, so I started a twitch channel.

You can view it here: http://www.twitch.tv/complxdesign

Im still getting the hang of using it, but so far I'm enjoying it.

Update time!

So its been about a week since I started working on this project and already I'm having ups and downs with the project, but it comes with the territory and with each challenge and set back, it make me put more time and effort into creating a better final design than I originally hoped.  As the saying goes, you learn more from you failures than your successes.

So at the beginning of this project I was unsure of exactly what hardware I was going to use (Mobo, GPU, PSU, etc)  Of course the parts are going to influence how big the final design is going to be as well as how they are laid out within the case.

So I decided I would try for a full ATX motherboard and a few extra goodies to model up.  Well, after I got most of the model completed, I realized that the final model was going to be massive, 15" wide, 15" tall, and 36" tall.  Overall, I think this might be just a tab bit overkill, the sheer height of it dwarfs most full tower cases, its a full foot higher that my 800D, which is large case on its own.  So for the time, im headed back to the drawing board to see what I can come up with, might be moving to a small mITX or mATX motherboard for the next version.

JBn11Ysh.jpg

ifbMp8Dh.jpg

IJfCi3Hh.jpg

NHjnsaUh.jpg

8WqOaOCh.jpg

Back to the drawing board I go!

That is one heck of a drawing board you got there. :D

And yes, plans change. I have about 40 pages of A4 sheets full with sketches for the

scratchbuild HELIOS was originally going to be (when Caselabs hadn't brought out the

SMH10 yet). At some point there was even going to be an evaporative radiator... All

in all that was probably about a year of planning before I finally settled on the SMH10.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Well, after a few bugs with the streaming software last tim,e (mostly my CAD program being bogged down to the point of crashing) I decided to get something a bit more light weight, so I started a twitch channel.

You can view it here: http://www.twitch.tv/complxdesign

Im still getting the hang of using it, but so far I'm enjoying it.

I hope you don't mind me using the basis of your ideas for my own simple version of this case as you have inspired me to make a case like this.

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

There are no words for how amazing that would be when completed.

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

google-image-result-for-http-cupofzup-co

Edited by Homicidium

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

That thing is huge

I really like the pattern on the front

144Hz goodness

holly crap!!!

that thing is huge and amazing!

i smell talent everywhere!

:lol:

-Corsair Carbide 500r + TX-750w V2 | Asus P5Q Deluxe + Intel Core2Duo E8400 @ 3.8Ghz + 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 1066mhz

-Sapphire HD4890 1GB DDR5 (New Edition) + 1x Intel SSD 330 120GB + 2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB SlimSinglePlate (RAID0)

holly crap!!!

that thing is huge and amazing!

i smell talent everywhere!

:lol:

Its current dimensions are 15" W x 15" L x 36" T.  Yea, its pretty big, I do want to try to get it a bit smaller, so I have a bit of work do.  I don't know what I would do with a case that large haha.

Edited by Complx

This looks AMAZING. First I followed your build for the monitor stand. Now this. Wow, Totally subbing to this.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Update time!

So its been about a week since I started working on this project and already I'm having ups and downs with the project, but it comes with the territory and with each challenge and set back, it make me put more time and effort into creating a better final design than I originally hoped.  As the saying goes, you learn more from you failures than your successes.

So at the beginning of this project I was unsure of exactly what hardware I was going to use (Mobo, GPU, PSU, etc)  Of course the parts are going to influence how big the final design is going to be as well as how they are laid out within the case.

So I decided I would try for a full ATX motherboard and a few extra goodies to model up.  Well, after I got most of the model completed, I realized that the final model was going to be massive, 15" wide, 15" tall, and 36" tall.  Overall, I think this might be just a tab bit overkill, the sheer height of it dwarfs most full tower cases, its a full foot higher that my 800D, which is large case on its own.  So for the time, im headed back to the drawing board to see what I can come up with, might be moving to a small mITX or mATX motherboard for the next version.

JBn11Ysh.jpg

ifbMp8Dh.jpg

IJfCi3Hh.jpg

NHjnsaUh.jpg

8WqOaOCh.jpg

Nice renders , what program ?

6600K  |  16GB HYPERX  |  GTX1070 FE  |  Z170X-UD3  |  AIR540

Respect the past, Embrace the future.

Nice job so far, looks pretty cool :P

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

whats wrong with a huge tower it makes more of an impact

Forum Links - COC I FAQ I

Can't wait till the next update this is awesome, I have been wanting to make my own case for some time but don't have the balls to.

(if anyone knows any good tutorials let me know)

This looks so amazing that I'm drooling, even though it's no where done yet.. ( Just like Star Citizen XD ) 

I can't wait to see the finished project. SUBBED

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Subbed!  I hope u build this!  :o

If I can see correctly, you're planning on having an outer shell that you can lift up, right? Are you planning to add any windows?

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

whats wrong with a huge tower it makes more of an impact

Not everyone want a huge tower... 

| Corsair Carbide 400Q | Intel Core i5 6600K | ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB |

| EVGA GeForce GTX 970 FTW+ ACX 2.0 SLI | Noctua NH-L9i | Corsair RM650X | HyperX Fury 240 GB | Seagate Barracuda 2 TB |

Steam: zonetrooper90 | PSN: zonetrooper90 | NNID: zonetrooper90 |

Awesome!! Looks like a modified version of the new Mac Pro! LOL.

mac_pro_new.jpg

Can't wait to see the completed product.  Subscribed!

A friend of mine gave me a piece of software that can replace the recycle bin icon with  the new mac pro. Perfect because apple is utter sh*t.

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

A friend of mine gave me a piece of software that can replace the recycle bin icon with  the new mac pro. Perfect because apple is utter sh*t.

Hahaha, That made my day.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Hahaha, That made my day.

It is so awesome. I may be able to just lob it onto mediafire for you guys if you want. 

XYPHER AMD FX8350 @ 4.6Ghz ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AMD RADEON HD 7970 @ 1140Mhz 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE 1600Mhz OCZ VERTEX 3 240GB SSD Corsair H100i 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE R4 CORSAIR K90 MADCATZ RAT 3 iiyama ProLite B2480HS 24"

Sorry for the delay everyone,  was a very hot weekend so I decided to move my entire setup down to the basement permanently, that's still going on so I have not had a lot of time to work on the design right now.  I will post some updates when I have another solid idea down.

Nice renders , what program ?

I use Solidworks for the modeling and Photoview for the rendering.

If I can see correctly, you're planning on having an outer shell that you can lift up, right? Are you planning to add any windows?

The original idea was to have an outer shell that I could "lift off" of the case, but since this project is still in the planning and build stage. things are always open to change.   As far as the addition of windows, its always an option, like I said, I'm still planning this one out.  I will have the case completely modeled out, both interior and exterior so I know exactly how it will go together when I start to build it, so there will be very little guess work.

Not everyone want a huge tower... 

Agreed, I have done a little work on the overall design (before the heatwave started) and I'm attempting to make it smaller, I will probably end up using an mATX motherboard, to help cut down on the overall size.