Gaming & Windows Experience on iMac 5K - iSwitched Part 4

You said 4970k twice.

@2:35 or so and at 8:07

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Wow, and here I thought my 4690K reaching 58°C under load was bad.

Uhh, maybe I missed something (and I'm too lazy to go back and watch the first three parts), but did Linus replace the MXM module in the iMac for an 8GB GDDR5 version of the M295X? The max listed on both everymac.com and Apple's website listed the M295X having 4GB of VRAM. 

Why is it Apple's fault that Windows doesn't run at 5K resolution? They have been moving towards resolution independence for a while now and because MS hasn't suddenly it's their fault?

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Why is it Apple's fault that Windows doesn't run at 5K resolution? They have been moving towards resolution independence for a while now and because MS hasn't suddenly it's their fault?

It wasn't implied that it was. 

I'll edit this post when I can actually make sense of this gibberish.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

It wasn't implied that it was. 

I'll edit this post when I can actually make sense of this gibberish.

Did you watch the video? He was seriously disappointed about it and couldn't decide whether it was AMD or Apple's fault and seemed shocked when someone suggested it was Microsoft's fault, (which it is). HiDPI support on Windows has always sucked and sucks right now. I would know, I'm running Windows 8.1 in a Parallels VM as I write this.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Did you watch the video? He was seriously disappointed about it and couldn't decide whether it was AMD or Apple's fault and seemed shocked when someone suggested it was Microsoft's fault, (which it is). HiDPI support on Windows has always sucked and sucks right now. I would know, I'm running Windows 8.1 in a Parallels VM as I write this.

I did watch it, within an hour of it releasing. Windows has problems with scaling to 4K with stuff AFAIK. If it sucks stop using it. Silly.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

I'd be interested in the Ubuntu experience on the iMac.

What do you expect? Flying unicorns? As long as the OS runs, it is the same experience as on other machines. It's x86 after all.

-

I have to give Kudos to Apple for providing drivers for a native Windows installation. It's not something they have to do, but they do  ;)

Just a quick question, what is the keyboard/keycaps that linus is using in this video? They look awesome.

Cheers

Intel i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H, Gigabyte GTX 770 4GB Windforce, 16GB G.Skill - NT 1600MHz, 250GB Samsung Evo SSD, 2x 1TB Seagate HDD, Corsair H100i CPU cooler w/Noctua Fans, 4x SP120, Fractal Design Define R4, LG W224T, Func MS-3, Apple Numeric Keyboard

-   BBR4 Hackintosh   - Server Rig

As is usual with Apple products if you fit the target market it's hard to find anything better but that market is very small and as with many niche products most people outside of that niche don't seem to be capable of understanding those who fit in it.

That said, yes performance is worse than a much cheaper custom build and no the screen doesn't have the colour gamut of the Dell monitor and blahblahblah. 

At the end of the day somebody who is limited on space and needs a powerful workstation with tons of screen real-estate it's a great option. Should you choose to play games on it, it can do that. Though I agree not going with a 980m was silly. nVidia is super far ahead of AMD on that front with the exception of AMD's APUs which are quite reasonable. The lack of target display mode is a huge problem in my book. Certainly decreases the life of the system in a household. 

The thermal throttling situation is something that has existed in the high end Apple systems for pretty much a decade. It's usually made sense to go with the lower CPU options as a result. That's silly too. However the performance of that system is still rather impressive in my book. 

I love my systems but I'm certainly no Apple apologist. I have no trouble admitting the iMac 5k is mostly a flagship of extravagance that seems to mainly exist to show people "Hey look what we put in this all in one!" and is probably the least practical of almost any Apple machine outside of the 5k display it carries with it. Apple would be incredibly smart to sell the panel at a competitive price as a new ThunderBolt Display when they hopefully start putting ThunderBolt 3.0 in their lineup. The current ThunderBolt display has the same panel in it since the 2010 release of the 27" ACD I believe. It's a great display but it would be a good idea to drop the current TBD's price and bring in a higher end 5k one.

As is usual with Apple products if you fit the target market it's hard to find anything better but that market is very small and as with many niche products most people outside of that niche don't seem to be capable of understanding those who fit in it.

That said, yes performance is worse than a much cheaper custom build and no the screen doesn't have the colour gamut of the Dell monitor and blahblahblah. 

At the end of the day somebody who is limited on space and needs a powerful workstation with tons of screen real-estate it's a great option. Should you choose to play games on it, it can do that. Though I agree not going with a 980m was silly. nVidia is super far ahead of AMD on that front with the exception of AMD's APUs which are quite reasonable. The lack of target display mode is a huge problem in my book. Certainly decreases the life of the system in a household. 

The thermal throttling situation is something that has existed in the high end Apple systems for pretty much a decade. It's usually made sense to go with the lower CPU options as a result. That's silly too. However the performance of that system is still rather impressive in my book. 

I love my systems but I'm certainly no Apple apologist. I have no trouble admitting the iMac 5k is mostly a flagship of extravagance that seems to mainly exist to show people "Hey look what we put in this all in one!" and is probably the least practical of almost any Apple machine outside of the 5k display it carries with it. Apple would be incredibly smart to sell the panel at a competitive price as a new ThunderBolt Display when they hopefully start putting ThunderBolt 3.0 in their lineup. The current ThunderBolt display has the same panel in it since the 2010 release of the 27" ACD I believe. It's a great display but it would be a good idea to drop the current TBD's price and bring in a higher end 5k one.

The iMac display is colour calibrated like the Dell 5K monitor

The iMac display is colour calibrated like the Dell 5K monitor

That may be so but it doesn't really matter to a professional who will be doing their own calibration and has nothing to do with colour gamut. The Dell will produce 99% of the Adobe RGB range but the iMac only comes to about 80%. 

Hey Linus,

Try using the tool Custom Resolution Utility by ToasyX. It let's you set custom resolution. I for example, are able to set 4k on my full HD monitor(max 30 hz because of single link DVI...). Which makes me able to see a 4k display through Teamviewer. Maybe you can add a resolution of 5k?

Off-topic, but what mouse is Linus using in that video? Looks good.