Gaming & Windows Experience on iMac 5K - iSwitched Part 4

really interested about this, thanks nick

Main PC: Core i5 4670 | MSI Mpower Max z87 | G.Skill Ripjaws 2x4gb | Stock intel cooler | PNY GTX 770 2gb (hoping to upgrade) | Seagate 1tb 7200rpm | Corsair RM850 | Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PCCG custom sleeved black/yellow extensions | Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue | Corsair M45 |

Phone: LG Nexus 5 | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-PDG1, Shure SRH440 | Laptop: Asus 303la (i5 model, 1600x900 res) | Motorbikes: 2004 Sherco 290i, 2013 Husqvarna CR125 | Xbox one

Where did you guys get that the R9 M295X in the iMac is an 8GB card? Apple themselves list it as only being 4GB. Am I missing something here?

Gaming & Windows Experience on iMac 5K - iSwitched AfterParty: External GPU

hun, huuuuunnnn.....

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

is the R9 M295x under clocked?, since the last imac with a gtx 680xm came with the gpu under clocked a bit.

who ever is going for iMac is clearly buying it just because it have "bigger numbers". >_>

...and people still defend this machines as workstations... nobody sane would want a computer that regularly thermal throttles for doing actual intensive work...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I can never understand how any macs fit into the market. It costs more, does less. Innovation at it's best, let's take an unlocked CPU and put without adequate cooling so it burns itself to death. They could have used monstrous heatsinks inside the case, just cover the internals with heatsink which makes contact with the body. The whole aluminium frame would nicely dissipate all the heat properly. But oh well, it's a mac after all. If it gives you your money's worth it wouldn't have an apple logo on it.

It is possible to increse the resolution. You just need CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) to manualy create a new 5K profile. That new profile will be visible in Screen Resolution.

The issue is the GPU, which may not be supported, but if someone can contact Linus or whatever, tell them this :D

I tested it with an old ATI 1250X. And it worked, i needed 1680x1050.

Here is a link for downloading the program http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

The new Alienware 15 laptop has access to the M295M, maybe you can test it better in that thing. 

FX-8120 | ASUS Crosshair V Formula | G.Skill Sniper 8GB DDR3-1866 CL9 | Club3D Radeon R9 290 RoyalAce |Thermaltake Chaser MkIII | 128GB M4 Crucial + 2TB HDD storage | Cooler Master 850M | Scythe Mugen 3 | Corsair Strafe RGB | Logitech G500

Why using Windows for all the Games you tested? For example Team Fortress 2 and LoL also run in Mac.

Why using Windows for alle the Games you tested? For example Team Fortress 2 and LoL also run in Mac.

The test was to see how the m295X stacks up against the 980m.

When in doubt, re-format.

B-but... I like multi-part videos...

It is possible to increse the resolution. You just need CRU (Custom Resolution Utility) to manualy create a new 5K profile. That new profile will be visible in Screen Resolution.

The issue is the GPU, which may not be supported, but if someone can contact Linus or whatever, tell them this :D

Here is a link for downloading the program http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

@LinusTech Read that ^^

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

can you not use Custom Resolution Utility (CRU) and the AMD/ATI Pixel Clock Patcher to force it to 5K?

The issue is the GPU, which may not be supported, but if someone can contact Linus or whatever, tell them this  :D

I used this to get my 1440p 60Hz monitor too 100Hz

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

I don't care about the multi-part videos, in fact, I prefer them (within reason) if it means 2x,3x,4x the ad revenue as it's better than multiple ads in the same video and makes it easier to share the relevant sections with other people.

Now I'm hoping for a Linux iSwitched (yes, I've mentioned it several times but it's that or keep nagging about disclosure of the AT&T thought process).

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

And i wondered what magic, Apple did, to cool a 4790K and still have a super slim profile. Afterall, it was just the "overheat" magic   :P 

Also, i like the OSX, so there is a value to the apple products imo. Of course, you can make a macintosh PC, but sometimes it's a bit tricky and maybe buggy.  
I personally want a macbook, but for desktop use i prefer a trusty (windows) PC, that i can actually upgrade and fix by myself. 

Just wondering if anyone knows where I can find benchmark comparison for games on Windows and Mac on somewhat similar hardware.

Also what about Windows vs Linux on similar hardware.

I am expecting windows to do better with better driver support and updates due to much larger userbase

Finally got PS4 Pro

After watching this video, I personally believe that Linus has unfairly judged the 5K iMac. 

When exploring the reasons why he felt that the iMac did not deliver the exact same experience of Windows as on a PC, Linus mentioned the fact that Windows would not output at the 5K resolution of the iMac but rather at 4K, with Linus then explaining that this was disappointing on a 5K display and overall a worse experience than using the native resolution, as shown by the blurring of the Twitter logo. I believe that this is rather unfair because it is not Apple's responsibility in anyway to ensure that Windows is able to output correctly at the 5K resolution. Apple does not specifically manufacture the iMac for users to use the Boot Camp utility in order to install Windows on such machines, therefore any issues regarding the Windows experience on an iMac should be the sole responsibility of Microsoft and thus should be addressed to them. Apple manufactures iMacs to run Mac OS X specifically, therefore any additional OS installs on the iMac are third party and are the responsibility of the relevant software manufacturers. 

Moreover, Linus continues in the video to state how the thermal throttling of the iMac, when under a 100% stress test in Windows, was disappointing and frankly denying the user of the iMac the full performance of the i7 within the iMac compared to a Windows user sporting the same processor. This, I believe, is also an unfair representation of the iMac and its cooling/CPU performance. This is due to the fact that the stress test was conducted in Windows and therefore stressed the CPU in a way that Mac OS X would not, due to the fact that Windows stresses the iMac hardware in a different way compared with Mac OS X. This is as a result of the Mac OS X being specifically optimised for the iMac hardware and would thus not stress the CPU in such a way that Windows would. The software used to conduct multi-threaded applications (video editing, photo editing etc) would not be used within Windows on an iMac by such user, but rather obviously in Mac OS X, therefore meaning that the software used for such applications within Mac OS X would be, again, specifically optimised for the Mac OS X platform, meaning that the iMac hardware would not thermal throttle. 

Finally, Linus commented that the gaming experience was not the best on the R9 295X compared with a 980M. I believe the comparison between the GT80 Titan and the iMac (regarding gaming performance) is invalid because who would purchase an iMac to then use such machine for Windows gaming? The iMac is aimed mainly at content and design professionals, as a result of industry standards, therefore why would the iMac hardware be chosen specifically with gaming performance in mind in Windows, rather than increased performance in content/design applications within Mac OS X?

To summarise, in no way do I believe that Linus' opinions were wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Evidently, the video was looking at the gaming performance and Windows experience on the 5K iMac; however, as a Mac and PC user, I feel that the iMac was analysed in fields that it was not purposely intended for. I personally believe that in the video the 5K iMac was unfairly portrayed to be lacking in gaming performance and a Windows experience that matches its hardware, when actually the machine is intended for other purposes and offers the Windows dual-boot experience as an option to the experience. 

I do not in anyway intended to fuel arguments regarding this video, but rather I feel that in sharing my opinion that I can show an alternative viewpoint.

After watching this video, I personally believe that Linus has unfairly judged the 5K iMac. 

When exploring the reasons why he felt that the iMac did not deliver the exact same experience of Windows as on a PC, Linus mentioned the fact that Windows would not output at the 5K resolution of the iMac but rather at 4K, with Linus then explaining that this was disappointing on a 5K display and overall a worse experience than using the native resolution, as shown by the blurring of the Twitter logo. I believe that this is rather unfair because it is not Apple's responsibility in anyway to ensure that Windows is able to output correctly at the 5K resolution. Apple does not specifically manufacture the iMac for users to use the Boot Camp utility in order to install Windows on such machines, therefore any issues regarding the Windows experience on an iMac should be the sole responsibility of Microsoft and thus should be addressed to them. Apple manufactures iMacs to run Mac OS X specifically, therefore any additional OS installs on the iMac are third party and are the responsibility of the relevant software manufacturers. 

Moreover, Linus continues in the video to state how the thermal throttling of the iMac, when under a 100% stress test in Windows, was disappointing and frankly denying the user of the iMac the full performance of the i7 within the iMac compared to a Windows user sporting the same processor. This, I believe, is also an unfair representation of the iMac and its cooling/CPU performance. This is due to the fact that the stress test was conducted in Windows and therefore stressed the CPU in a way that Mac OS X would not, due to the fact that Windows stresses the iMac hardware in a different way compared with Mac OS X. This is as a result of the Mac OS X being specifically optimised for the iMac hardware and would thus not stress the CPU in such a way that Windows would. The software used to conduct multi-threaded applications (video editing, photo editing etc) would not be used within Windows on an iMac by such user, but rather obviously in Mac OS X, therefore meaning that the software used for such applications within Mac OS X would be, again, specifically optimised for the Mac OS X platform, meaning that the iMac hardware would not thermal throttle. 

Finally, Linus commented that the gaming experience was not the best on the R9 295X compared with a 980M. I believe the comparison between the GT80 Titan and the iMac (regarding gaming performance) is invalid because who would purchase an iMac to then use such machine for Windows gaming? The iMac is aimed mainly at content and design professionals, as a result of industry standards, therefore why would the iMac hardware be chosen specifically with gaming performance in mind in Windows, rather than increased performance in content/design applications within Mac OS X?

To summarise, in no way do I believe that Linus' opinions were wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Evidently, the video was looking at the gaming performance and Windows experience on the 5K iMac; however, as a Mac and PC user, I feel that the iMac was analysed in fields that it was not purposely intended for. I personally believe that in the video the 5K iMac was unfairly portrayed to be lacking in gaming performance and a Windows experience that matches its hardware, when actually the machine is intended for other purposes and offers the Windows dual-boot experience as an option to the experience. 

I do not in anyway intended to fuel arguments regarding this video, but rather I feel that in sharing my opinion that I can show an alternative viewpoint.

It is still a product issue, even if its a AMD driver problem.

its a stress test, it will not run different on different OS, all it does is max out the hardware, unless your saying OSX will not make out the hardware.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Maybe I am in the minority, but I actually do enjoy the multipart episodes.

There was obviously a lot to talk about when it comes to the iMac/OSX ecosystem and looking beyond the usual scope of high performing PC parts gives one a better understanding of the realities of the tech market. I will probably never own an iMac. But that does not mean I shouldn't know about them.

Agreed, multipart episode is a must for deeper knowledge.

on certain things(imac reviews, watercooling vlogs) i like multiple parts, altough there is a limit(watercooling vlogs) to that, which you still need to find, i do say that 2-3 episodes is max unless you are going very indepth with lots of details, then 5 would be allowed i guess.

also:

this has proven that mac hardware is not magic, but the magic is the OSX system.

(the fact of stability and compatability for certain software)

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

The resizing problem in windows could be expected, I can't really imagine someone walking up to some employer with a Steve Jobs attitude saying: " Ok, how about we let them change the resolution on this screen, and if it doesn't fit we just add black borders? "

Imagine you would actually pay the freaking €3400.- (or dollar equivalent) for this computer and than seeing the thermal throttling... poor you. 

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

Iswitched Linux next please Linus, the more parts the better mwhahahahaha

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)