Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

Why do you keep changing the subject to performance?

because thats what is the bottom line. you didnt buy a 970 because it had 64 ROPs (ill bet you you dont even have any idea what those are or what they do) or 2MB of L2 shared cache. no, you bought it because it performes admirally close to a 980 for 2/3 of the price.

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Why do you keep changing the subject to performance?

Because that's what matters. 

You didn't buy a 970 because of the number of ROPs it had, you bought it because you saw some benchmarks, liked the performance, and decided you wanted that performance. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Okay, while [people couldn;t have bought the card for CURRENT 4K Gaming, (AM I RIGHT GUYS PLEASE TELL ME YOU DIDN'T) I do know of people who have intentions of SLI-ing 2 970s for some perhaps decent 4K gaming. That fits the bill on those people who can be angry right? 

Alo yes I'm one of those paranoid people who looks at the amount of vram as a way of guaranteeing some "future proofness" (even tho we all know theres no such thing) I've steered my friend away from a 970 and into a 290X Lightning (it was cheaper anyway)

Okay, while [people couldn;t have bought the card for CURRENT 4K Gaming, (AM I RIGHT GUYS PLEASE TELL ME YOU DIDN'T) I do know of people who have intentions of SLI-ing 2 970s for some perhaps decent 4K gaming. That fits the bill on those people who can be angry right? 

Alo yes I'm one of those paranoid people who looks at the amount of vram as a way of guaranteeing some "future proofness" (even tho we all know theres no such thing) I've steered my friend away from a 970 and into a 290X Lightning (it was cheaper anyway)

Even in SLI, there is still the fact that you will rarely, if ever go over 3.5GB of ram, if the game is made properly. and if its not, then a full on 4GB card wont help you either

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

because thats what is the bottom line. you didnt buy a 970 because it had 64 ROPs (ill bet you you dont even have any idea what those are or what they do) or 2MB of L2 shared cache. no, you bought it because it performes admirally close to a 980 for 2/3 of the price.

Why are you telling me why I bought the card? I specifically told you one of the main reasons I bought it was because it looked like a decent long-term investment with 4GB of VRAM. And Nvidia hid that 0.5GB of that is a lot slower. No idea why you went into an insulting tirade.

The issue is that even SLI 970s can't properly run 4k now, let alone down the road. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Why are you telling me why I bought the card? I specifically told you one of the main reasons I bought it was because it looked like a decent long-term investment with 4GB of VRAM. And Nvidia hid that 0.5GB of that is a lot slower. No idea why you went into an insulting tirade.

It is still a 4GB card, and you can still use those 4GB. And you can look at benchmarks of a really demanding game now (such as C3) at any fucking resolution you want, and see how your card will perform in the next couple of years, running standard AAA titles on those resolutions. And if youre not smart enough to see that a 970 just cant do hires gaming, i am sorry for you.

and i did that because it is the only way to beat some sense into retarded heads.

The issue is that even SLI 970s can't properly run 4k now, let alone down the road. 

WAit they can;t? LOL For real? lol curse media outlets and people telling me they could.

It is still a 4GB card, and you can still use those 4GB. And you can look at benchmarks of a really demanding game now (such as C3) at any fucking resolution you want, and see how your card will perform in the next couple of years, running standard AAA titles on those resolutions. And if youre not smart enough to see that a 970 just cant do hires gaming, i am sorry for you.

and i did that because it is the only way to beat some sense into retarded heads.

You're really upset for someone not at all affected by the 970's shortcomings.

WAit they can;t? LOL For real? lol curse media outlets and people telling me they could.

just check benchmarks... 4K is too much for the 970s now. and check crysis3 for the future :)

NV will properly manage that portion of vram with drivers, but i assure you it does tank the performance while passing the 3.5 mark.

there is no future proofing and there is no way of saying that we wont use 3.5 or 4 gigs of ram as well 

NV will properly manage that portion of vram with drivers, but i assure you it does tank the performance while passing the 3.5 mark.

there is no future proofing and there is no way of saying that we wont use 3.5 or 4 gigs of ram as well 

At 1080p/1440p it isn't likely for quite some time, and the 970 isn't meant for 4k. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

You're really upset for someone not at all affected by the 970's shortcomings.

how am i upset? i could not care less about it. im just trying to keep the misinformation on this forum at the minimum, because i just managed to get one guy to stop it.

again youre out of arguments, so you turn this to be about me. classical troll ;)

... you have to be a special kind of moron to buy something based on specs as specs are meaningless figures. ...

I mean, based on your logic you should've gone with a 780 instead of a 970.....afterall the 780 has almost 50% more cores......so 50% faster, right? 

And resolution is just a number? :P

Why do you think people noticed this in the first place? Because it actually matters!

And don't compare calculation speed with memory size. There values have very different impact on the performance.

In case of to much video memory pressure you get lag spikes because the driver has to swap memory all over the place.

And in case you use Cuda or OpenGL with sparse memory, you can really hurt your applications performance by using the "full" 4 GiB.

how am i upset? i could not care less about it. im just trying to keep the misinformation on this forum at the minimum, because i just managed to get one guy to stop it.

again youre out of arguments, so you turn this to be about me. classical troll ;)

You seem very upset when you're calling names like a kindergartner.

At 1080p/1440p it isn't likely for quite some time, and the 970 isn't meant for 4k. 

i will say forever, because 1440p is only so many pixels, and you will optimise your textures to suit it, and not load 8k maps into your vRAM when you will never be able to see those pixels

But what happens once the 970 isn't one of their cash cows next year?

the driver for it will be completly stable and work, and that part of VRAM will be properly managed

99% of these mouth breathers didn't even know these terms. They knew benchmarks and FPS and that's it. They didn't become GPU experts overnight, unless you count false outrage to be expertness.

Nothing has changed.

960 - 1080p

970 - 1440p

980 - King Kong

People are upset because we know why the 970 isn't a 980 now. We know exactly what was cut from the full GM204 chip to give a 970. And people are butthurt about it. As if their cards are somehow different today than they were 2 days ago.

But what happens once the 970 isn't one of their cash cows next year?

well i hope they find a fix for every game or situation, obvious they wont support the product all the time, bad thing if you ask me

You seem very upset when you're calling names like a kindergartner.

putting words in my mouth, i never called you that, i just said to go back there, because those arguments suit you well

People are upset because we know why the 970 isn't a 980 now.

I would put it this way: people are upset because we know now and not back then.

owls are awesome

And resolution is just a number? :P

Why do you think people noticed this in the first place? Because it actually matters!

And don't compare calculation speed with memory size. There values have very different impact on the performance.

In case of to much video memory pressure you get lag spikes because the driver has to swap memory all over the place.

And in case you use Cuda or OpenGL with sparse memory, you can really hurt your applications performance by using the "full" 4 GiB.

Well yes/no.

No -- I'd call resolution more of an exact figure -- i.e. 1080p is 1080p wheres 5ghz isn't always 5ghz. 

Yes -- I'm not saying this is true as I haven't compared or even seen it in practice, but I could see some merit to saying an ultra high end 720p monitor would be better than a low end crappy 1080p monitor. Yes the resolution on the 1080p monitor would be higher, but the image quality itself would be far lower. (again, I'm talking theoretical here since any modern 1080p monitor is pretty good and will be better than almost any 720p monitor since the 720p monitors are more budget oriented/don't get newer technologies).

And as far as I know, the issue arose when running at 4k, which isn't viable for 970s anyway. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler