Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

A little cunty this morning I see

nope, i just despise self entitled morons

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

If you bought a card for the future (which is highres, 4k or 21:9 1440p) you have benchmarks of games now that dont perform well on those resolutions, because the card is made to eat 1440p, not 4K. and if youre butthurt that you now know a reason behind the difference between a 970 and a 980 you are a complete and utter moron and should go back to kindergarden and be butthurt over someone taking your lego

Off topic: Apparently Lego's in high demand due to manufacturing shortage. May just be a good reason to steal someones Lego's :lol:.  But I think Lego would be a choking hazard for the Kindergarten age?

You despise people who feel entitled to get what they paid for?

no, those who think they bought something different than what they did. there were benchmarks for all the possible resolutions and games you could play when the 970 was released. if you think that it performs different to that because the specs were corrected, then you are an idiot and should just die in a fire, and if you think you are now entitled to something because the card you bought performs like you knew it will, but some numbers about it have changed, then you should never breed.

me too and after the scandal came out i was pretty sad :( ,but as @LukaP mentioned you dont neeed more than 3gigs of vram but still nvidia cheated on people like us

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Off topic: Apparently Lego's in high demand due to manufacturing shortage. May just be a good reason to steal someones Lego's :lol:.  But I think Lego would be a choking hazard for the Kindergarten age?

We had the Duplo series from them in kindergarden. basically just a bigger and rounded off version

So you're loving that those of us who bought this card for the future are getting fucked over? Thanks.

You despise people who feel entitled to get what they paid for?

You paid for the performance that you saw in benchmarks posted online by LTT/JTC/AnandTech/etc...

Did you get that performance? Yes.

Is this news going to change that performance? No.

The 970 isn't a 4k card, and this news won't affect sub 4k resolutions, nor will it affect 4k resolutions -- if you bought a 970 expecting it o play 4k then you're not thinking very clearly as it can't run modern games at 4k let alone future ones. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

You paid for the performance that you saw in benchmarks posted online by LTT/JTC/AnandTech/etc...

Is this news going to change that performance? At 1440p or less -- No. At 4k -- yes, but the 970 isn't a 4k card. 

it wont change the performance at 4k either. if you bought this card for 4k you were an idiot in the first place

it wont change the performance at 4k either. if you bought this card for 4k you were an idiot in the first place

I worded it poorly, I already corrected it. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

As a game developer: BULLSHIT. on 1080p/1440p, unless you are ubisoft, there is literally 0 need for more than 3GB of vRAM, because of optimisation. you dont load a full on 4K texture for an object that is 5px on screen. (which most objects will be) You load big textures only for things that need them, the FP character, the gun, etc... check the second link in my signature, its kinda on topic of that.

and stop talking about things you dont understand

So please explain. How come Dying Light is taking up almost all VRAM? Because it will just fill up whatever it can (without the actual need, it was covered briefly in the anandtech article in OPs post) and not necessarily need it all at the time? I really want to know what I'm talking about.

But STILL, please understand that in this case 4GB is not 3,5GB + 0,5GB due to the bandwith.

owls are awesome

no, those who think they bought something different than what they did. there were benchmarks for all the possible resolutions and games you could play when the 970 was released. if you think that it performs different to that because the specs were corrected, then you are an idiot and should just die in a fire, and if you think you are now entitled to something because the card you bought performs like you knew it will, but some numbers about it have changed, then you should never breed.

And there were specs that were lied about. You have some real shit for brains son.

This is bad of nvidia, and I'm not trying to make excuses for them or justify what they did.

HOWEVER.

When was the last time anyone actually used on-paper specs to judge the performance of a gpu? With completely different architectures every one or two generation and across the two brands, and numbers changing meaning every time, I usually only look at benchmarks to decide whether a card is worth the selling price over a competitor or another card in the same lineup. We know how a gtx 970 performs, knowing how many ROPs it has doesn't change that, does it? Only the memory thing could possibly affect the experience negatively if it's true that above 3.5gb it stutters even with good framerates. So while I will recommend an R9 290 over a 970 any day with the current pricing, these new fidings don't really affect the way I perceive that card in the market. It's bad reputation on nvidia if anything, but if I had bought a 970 I wouldn't worry about it.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Is this news going to change that performance? No.

The 970 isn't a 4k card, and this news won't affect sub 4k resolutions, nor will it affect 4k resolutions. 

I didn't pay for 0.5GB of slow memory, which Nvidia kept a secret until they got called out on it after lots of people reported problems above 3.5GB of VRAM usage. Why are you still carrying water for Nvidia after I disproved your assertions that the 56ROP spec was known since September?

And there were specs that were lied about. You have some real shit for brains son.

I've said this time and time again when people bitch about Apple -- you have to be a special kind of moron to buy something based on specs as specs are meaningless figures. The way you decide whether or not you spend money on a product is if it performs well in the scenarios you plan on using it in -- i.e. how gaming benchmarks that get posted report the cards performance.

I mean, based on your logic you should've gone with a 780 instead of a 970.....afterall the 780 has almost 50% more cores......so 50% faster, right? 

I didn't pay for 0.5GB of slow memory, which Nvidia kept a secret until they got called out on it after lots of people reported problems above 3.5GB of VRAM usage. Why are you still carrying water for Nvidia after I disproved your assertions that the 56ROP spec was known since September?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

So please explain. How come Dying Light is taking up almost all VRAM? Because it will just fill up whatever it can (without the actual need, it was covered briefly in the anandtech article in OPs post) and not necessarily need it all at the time? I really want to know what I'm talking about.

But STILL, please understand that in this case 4GB is not 3,5GB + 0,5GB due to the bandwith.

It will fill up the buffer with stuff it will perhaps need in the future (DX predicts that). so you still get better performance than just simply not filling it up and waiting for it to be fetched from RAM or SSD/HDD.

I know there is less bandwith on the 512 partition, but that matters not (at almost any resolution and game, eg linus only broke past 4GB once with his autobahnhammer) since mostly, the data on that part will be something you dont need immediately, and can take a cycle when the gpu doesnt do anything to move it (there is a bunch of those cycles)

And those specs being changed, how does that change the performance of the card? are you truly mentally challenged?

You're putting words in my mouth

nope, youre spitting bullshit and hoping it sticks while a bunch of reputable members (some with good knowledge of the technology here, more than just numbers) disproved you with facts. youre a troll.

And those specs being changed, how does that change the performance of the card? are you truly mentally challenged?

It changes that the card probably isn't as future proof as it sounded when it looked to be a flat 4GB card. Do you honestly expect Nvidia to keep optimizing for this 3.5+0.5GB kludge next year when the 70 series GPU is likely to be a rebranded 980? 

nope, youre spitting bullshit and hoping it sticks while a bunch of reputable members (some with good knowledge of the technology here, more than just numbers) disproved you with facts. youre a troll.

You're the one calling people kindergartners because they're angry at getting lied to.

It changes that the card probably isn't as future proof as it sounded when it looked to be a flat 4GB card. Do you honestly expect Nvidia to keep optimizing for this 3.5+0.5GB kludge next year when the 70 series GPU is likely to be a rebranded 980? 

future proof? nothing fucking is futureproof. and if you seriously plan on using 4GB of ram on a 970, you sir are an idiot, because the chip itself isnt powerful enough to be able to spit playable framerates when in a situation that takes 4GB. youre still an idiot

why is 3gigs of vram enough? why not say 2 gigs is enough then....

how about Nvidia cuts more next time lets say 1 gig is that ok to i suppose it is for some 

and cut down rops and l2 cache what is the right amount i dont understand.

for me its simple they sold a different product 

You're the one calling people kindergartners because they're angry at getting lied to.

getting angry at buying something that performs X tested, but seeing that instead of it being B, its B-, but still performing exactly the same

future proof? nothing fucking is futureproof. and if you seriously plan on using 4GB of ram on a 970, you sir are an idiot, because the chip itself isnt powerful enough to be able to spit playable framerates when in a situation that takes 4GB. youre still an idiot

And you call me a troll. 

And you call me a troll. 

because you are, and this post is proof of it. you realise you cant counter my argument anymore, so you start countering my opinion of you

Nope, angry at getting lied to.

you were not lied to, the performance is what it is, you cant change that.