Official Nvidia GTX 970 Discussion Thread

Actually it performs exactly as it has always been intended to. Nothing has changed since the dozens of professional reviews were posted with benchmarks. 

It was never advertised that way. Are you denying the memory speed is hogged at the last 0.5GB? That's not full speed 4GB GDDR5 VRAM they advertised before.

I'm not asking for changes to "professional reviews". I'm asking for compensations.

The gimping is Nvidia's intention, and so was the lying. I'm not talking about their intentions (f*ck their intentions them lying bastards), I'm talking about us, who bought a 970 and didn't get the performance we expected.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

It was never advertised that way. Are you denying the memory speed is hogged at the last 0.5GB? That's not full speed 4GB GDDR5 VRAM they advertised before.

I'm not asking for changes to "professional reviews". I'm asking for compensations.

The gimping is Nvidia's intention, and so was the lying. I'm not talking about their intentions (f*ck their intentions them lying bastards), I'm talking about us, who bought a 970 and didn't get the performance we expected.

Anyone who bought a 970 got the EXACT same performance they expected. The performance hasn't changed. People just have their panties in a bunch are are complaining over something that isn't an issue. Now be mad at Nvidia and giving them shit is a different story -- but the 970 still performs EXACTLY the same as it has always performed. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Anyone who bought a 970 got the EXACT same performance they expected. The performance hasn't changed. People just have their panties in a bunch are are complaining over something that isn't an issue. Now be mad at Nvidia and giving them shit is a different story -- but the 970 still performs EXACTLY the same as it has always performed. 

Don't lie, I didn't expect this:

78ab3216_4vciohfw.png

Maybe you are okay with that (or you expected that somehow or you're part of the Nvidia Focus Group), but it's 100% an issue, cause you (no one) can't deny Nvidia's false advertising/misrepresentation of the 970; and it's memory bandwidth limitations.

Now it affects you or not, that is personal. I'm not talking about how mad (or not) you are right now.

Again, if that was the advertised VRAM performance and specifications, then nobody would have raised an eyebrow. It's a real issue, doesn't matter who's mad or not.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

Don't lie, I didn't expect this:

Maybe you are okay with that (or you expected that somehow or you're part of the Nvidia Focus Group), and it's 100% an issue, cause you (no one) can't deny Nvidia's false advertising/misrepresentation of the 970; and it's memory bandwidth limitations.

Now it affects you or not, that is personal. I'm not talking about how mad (or not) you are right now.

Again, if that was the advertised performance then nobody would have raised an eyebrow. It's a real issue, doesn't matter who's mad or not.

At sub-4k resolutions it's not an issue, and you have to be a complete moron to go for 970s at 4k. Firstly, 980s don't handle 4k well, and they're quite a bit faster. and secondly, if you can afford to go 4k then you should be going with SLI 980s (or R9 380xs when they eventually launch). 

And it is advertised performance. 99% of people who bought the 970 saw benchmarks that were posted and liked the results, and they therefore bought the card. Nothing has changed since then. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

At sub-4k resolutions it's not an issue, and you have to be a complete moron to go for 970s at 4k. Firstly, 980s don't handle 4k well, and they're quite a bit faster. and secondly, if you can afford to go 4k then you should be going with SLI 980s (or R9 380xs when they eventually launch). 

Linus picked dual 970s for his 4k capable "Game On" build:

Are you calling him a complete moron?

Again, this is not about build guides, man. Keep it to the topic.

SLI 970s don't produce decent framerates and decent minimums to warrant it being a viable 4k solution unless of course you're okay with frequent drops to 30-40fps or okay with playing at shit settings. The 3.5gb of VRAM won't be an issue if you're not playing at high-ultra 4k, which SLI 970s isn't going to be doing anyway.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

... He said 970 sli was a better buy than 1 980... not that you get amazing framerates in 4k with sli 970's.

Maybe I'm one of those rare few that understand that 4k gaming is not here yet?

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

... He said 970 sli was a better buy than 1 980... not that you get amazing framerates in 4k with sli 970's.

Maybe I'm one of those rare few that understand that 4k gaming is not here yet?

Rare is certainly a good way to put it.... Hopefully R9 380x's will make 4k a viable option. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Guys drop the 4k issue here. Keep it to the topic.

And it's upto you whether you think Linus lied or not. I'm not trying to bring up a 4k dual 970s discussion all over again.

This is a terrible example and you shouldn't go that path. Linustechtips is a media company, and they have an agenda with brands - wich is completly legit and understandable. I'm not saying that this content in particular has an agenda.

So to say that he is a moron or not about his choices in that video, it's just wrong. If you are trying to proove some point, just don't down that path.

In the end it's his (Linus) oppinion wich he made based on the information he had available at that time. Don't put the man on the line for the sake of your arguments.

This is a terrible example and you shouldn't go that path. Linustechtips is a media company, and they have an agenda with brands - wich is completly legit and understandable. I'm not saying that this content in particular has an agenda.

So to say that he is a moron or not about his choices in that video, it's just wrong. If you are trying to proove some point, just don't down that path.

In the end it's his (Linus) oppinion wich he made based on the information he had available at that time. Don't put the man on the line for the sake of your arguments.

Point taken.

And tell them don't bring up 4k build arguments in a 970 memory allocation issue thread.

Lucky for you there is a solution. Instead of continuing to complain on this forum where a Nvidia representative diesnt exist, you can contact Nvidia and work towards a refund. We understand you feel lied to and want some compensation. The majority of us just dont care. We also cant help you. If you want to know where you can get the help youu need, we will gladly point you in the right direction. Especially if that helps stop the whining. :lol:
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Lucky for you there is a solution. Instead of continuing to complain on this forum where a Nvidia representative diesnt exist, you can contact Nvidia and work towards a refund. We understand you feel lied to and want some compensation. The majority of us just dont care. We also cant help you. If you want to know where you can get the help youu need, we will gladly point you in the right direction. Especially if that helps stop the whining. :lol:

Who should I contact? Nvidia or MSI?

And I didn't whine, stop with your insults. :angry:

http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-Plans-Driver-Update-GTX-970-Memory-Issue-Help-Returns

In case someone missed it.

I think it's really sad for the engineering department of Nvidia that this is the way it turned out. I think they worked really hard on it and it got smeared by bad advertisement. Whether planned or not, you have to aknowledge they're two separate units atleast.

I don't understand how a driver update will resolve the issue. :(

And it's not even a firmware update. :huh:

Probably give the OS or application better instructions on how to deal with that 512MB buffer. It can sometimes happen now that big textures or whatever get loaded into it and cause the "stutters".

And it's upto you whether you think Linus lied or not. I'm not trying to bring up a 4k dual 970s discussion all over again.

Ummm. Wat

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

I don't know how brands like MSI, Gigabyte, or EVGA and whoever are going to handle returns. Hopefully a driver could help but I'm pretty sure it's borked. I'll most likely not return my card, since I don't game at higher than 1080p and the 3.5GB is still a good buy (for me anyways).

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Ummm. Wat

He's referring to a video where Linus himself recommended the GTX 970 in SLI for 4K gaming.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

He's referring to a video where Linus himself recommended the GTX 970 in SLI for 4K gaming.

Which should still be totally fine so long as the applications use the 512MB portion properly.

Well at least they are doing something about it.

I wish they had explained the memory architecture sooner rather than at the last fucking possible moment when they were pushed against a brick wall by the consumers.

Its still an apology and thats what i wanted from NVIDIA , kudos to them for owning up to their mistakes.

Peace.

you have to be shitting me. you have been one of the biggest posters in this going off at every one and demanding heads on a plate and with one "im sorry" all is forgiven. wow

see below

SLI 970s don't produce decent framerates and decent minimums to warrant it being a viable 4k solution unless of course you're okay with frequent drops to 30-40fps or okay with playing at shit settings. The 3.5gb of VRAM won't be an issue if you're not playing at high-ultra 4k, which SLI 970s isn't going to be doing anyway.

this^^^ omg 1000 times this. you all RIP THE SHIT out of "console peasants" about fps and how 30 is shit and 60 is the min and now your all suddenly ok with 30-40 when its at 4k to prove a point...hypocrites

you have to bring up 4k and dual 970s as thats the only real way to push the vram to 4gb

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

you have to be shitting me. you have been one of the biggest posters in this going off at every one and demanding heads on a plate and with one "im sorry" all is forgiven. wow

see below

this^^^ omg 1000 times this. you all RIP THE SHIT out of "console peasants" about fps and how 30 is shit and 60 is the min and now your all suddenly ok with 30-40 when its at 4k to prove a point...hypocrites

you have to bring up 4k and dual 970s as thats the only real way to push the vram to 4gb

Mehp they owned up to their mistakes and apologized i have mentioned before thats what i wanted.

I hope they do right by their costumers and fix this somehow.

The way Nvidia is trying to handle the returns is hilarious. How is EVGA, MSi, ASUS, or anyone else responsible for this shit. Its the sole problem/responsibility of Nvidia.

The way Nvidia is trying to handle the returns is hilarious. How is EVGA, MSi, ASUS, or anyone else responsible for this shit. Its the sole problem/responsibility of Nvidia.

Because they BUILT the cards -- they BUILT the chips and the PCBs. They knew EXACTLY how it worked. How come they didn't say something? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mehp they owned up to their mistakes and apologized i have mentioned before thats what i wanted.

I hope they do right by their costumers and fix this somehow.

That does not justify the silly bickering and blatant name-calling you did prior. In fact, you made an entire thread flaming at everybody being "NVidia apologists". You may have calmed down now, but the actions you have made in the meantime has tarnished your reputation in this forum. Most people, upon seeing your username, will only remember you as a "crybaby" or "AMD shill", depending on their own view of the matter.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.