High Wattage PSUs Useless? | 2000w 80+ Platinum PSU

ImBleu

First world* Third world would be much of Africa, Haiti, etc..

i was being sarcastic 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

exccept 6+2 pins are a pain to plug and unplug and look uglier due to the contorted wires.

I dont see how the wires are contorted...maybe you just have a shitty PSU?

PSU+6%252B2+Connector.JPG

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

So we could run 4 Titan zs or 2 295x2s and not have the psu fan spin? That sounds sweet

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I dont see how the wires are contorted...maybe you just have a shitty PSU?

I'm betting PSU. I've seen instances of an extra half inch or more of wire for the extra 2 pins when I go in to clean and repair a computer. Sometimes I even get an extra $20 to reroute wires for better airflow.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

This thing going to need what a gold plated power plug cable?

Probably silver since it's the best metallic conductor (though it has that lovely oxidation problem over time).

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

This PSU would be perfect for those of us who have server boards from Tyan or Supermicro (or EVGA Super Record boards) and 2x CPUs, and a ton of GPUs. Assuming it comes in cheaper than server grade PSUs.

Only downside is it delivers 2KW at 220-240v, so for people in the USA, we need to wire it up to a split phase circuit, which isn't a big deal for offices/workshops/datacenters. For residential use, most people would have to pull a separate split phase circuit from their power panel.

To be honest, if you have a machine that pulls ~1000W constantly, and you need that extra 4% to 6% efficiency (at 50% PSU output), then this PSU would be nice for those people as well.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

I'm betting PSU. I've seen instances of an extra half inch or more of wire for the extra 2 pins when I go in to clean and repair a computer. Sometimes I even get an extra $20 to reroute wires for better airflow.

High quality PSUs use a separate two cables for the extra 2 pins instead of that dumb-looking wire loop that cheap PSUs use.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

This PSU would be perfect for those of us who have server boards from Tyan or Supermicro (or EVGA Super Record boards) and 2x CPUs, and a ton of GPUs. Assuming it comes in cheaper than server grade PSUs.

Only downside is it delivers 2KW at 220-240v, so for people in the USA, we need to wire it up to a split phase circuit, which isn't a big deal for offices/workshops/datacenters. For residential use, most people would have to pull a separate split phase circuit from their power panel.

To be honest, if you have a machine that pulls ~1000W constantly, and you need that extra 4% to 6% efficiency (at 50% PSU output), then this PSU would be nice for those people as well.

or you can just buy a 5kW server PSU? :)

Spoiler

or you can just buy a 5kW server PSU? :)

Don't even get me started on server PSUs. I have an older Dell Poweredge with 2x 6 core xeons, dual 7950s (for folding/boinc projects (only if I don't' have a render job running)), with dual redundant hot plug PSUs, and let me tell you, its efficiency sucks. But hey, it makes a good space heater  :P.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

At this point, the development of higher wattage powersupplies is superfluous due to most hardware is moving towards higher power efficiency... Unless you're buying a 380x. Then you'll probably find a use for this guy.

How much power does two R9 295x2 actually need btw?

Around 1200-300W

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Around 1200-300W

For max Furmark load maybe... Under gaming constraints that better be whole system power draw...

Fuck it i'll run multiple systems from it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Enough that I've seen issues firsthand trying to run two on a 1500W AXi. The thermal control of the PSU can't keep up with the change in temperature causing PSU failure.

That's because the AX1500i has OCP enabled by default set to 30amps. You can slide it to 40Amps or just fully disable it for unlimited amps through a single pcie cable.

not even 80+ titanium wow such ripoff much lame so wow

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Could plug in 3x 6+2pin connectors to power a 24pin ATX, theoretically (please dont try this at home)

Doesn't the 24pin have 3.3 and 5v wires?

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

inb4 9590 5.5 GHZ , 295x2 crossfire on one PSU.

Actually 1500W sohuld be more than enough, Tomshardware run 295X2 on 1000W PSU.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Actually 1500W sohuld be more than enough, Tomshardware run 295X2 on 1000W PSU.

OC3D was having trouble running TWO 295x2 on a AX 1500i.

They had a intel cpu.

Now imagine a 9590 at 5.5 GHZ.

Fun.

OC3D was having trouble running TWO 295x2 on a AX 1500i.

They had a intel cpu.

Now imagine a 9590 at 5.5 GHZ.

Fun.

It will run fine don't worry.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Hell yea go superflower lol! Got their 80+ platinum 1000w for $160. Solid PSU. As I live in Taiwan it was a beast deal.

2000w 80+ platinum and not a single 8 pin connector :| rly?

It has 9, 6+2 which can either be 8 or 6 pin connectors.

So no, it has 9.