Please don't be weak cores

Isn't that a given with 8?

an fx 8350 at 14 nm?! xD either way, i wanna see that Zen at 220w lol

what?

Oooohhhh sweet jesus :D

Get rekt intel lels

I'm all happy for improvements and want AMD to succeed and if they have the product that is better or better for certain things then id use it.

But your comment is kinda funny to me cuz we are talking about AMD catching up to Intel so while this is GREAT news its just funny that you're like "Intel get wrecked" when Intel is on 14 nm and already developing for 10 nm and have products out already that are good.

I'm really excited for the future on AMD right now. I was skeptical but thought they would be fine but now I'm very excited.

wow could be a good upgrade path for my 3570K if they dont mess it up.

8 strong cores, with a very good architecture at a competitive price = trouble for mainstream intel.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Sweet, I was thinking of buying a 4790K next year but I guess I'll wait for AMD's CPUs!

I really hope they don't have integrated graphics like intel's processors.

AMD and Intel both put iGPU on all but some of their processors. AMD's Athlons now are just the APU parts where the GPU underperformed or was broken. Intel may also be heading toward putting iGPU on their enthusiast and server chips as a way to gain a big edge in compute density. The world is moving towards heterogeneous solutions. You'd best get used to the idea. Also, if you're going to wait so long, check out the 5770k when it launches.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Considering the 5960X, not at all. If AMD is serious about capturing all the desktop and server space it intends to, then it needs a good combination of core count and core strength. After all, IBM came out of left field with the Power 8 chips at 6/12 cores and 5 GHz, and they've put the hurt on Intel despite being way behind for years.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

So the Internet is going to hype this thing out of proportion and no matter how the chip performs it will be devistatingly dissapointing when they fail to measure up.

Can't even see their 300 series gpus meeting expectations.

So the Internet is going to hype this thing out of proportion and no matter how the chip performs it will be devistatingly dissapointing when they fail to measure up.

Can't even see their 300 series gpus meeting expectations.

Eh, the hype is more just hope of competition. I don't think too many people expect Zen to beat Haswell or even really equal it. I think what they expect is AMD being in a position to force Intel to innovate, and then these same consumers will wait a year or two and buy the Intel chips freshly positioned on top.

8 here is only a sign of weak cores

4 would be a sign of getting on par with Intels IPC which is what CPU monopoly is about

I doubt skylake desktop cpu's will be out until 2016 anyway, so you're probably right about zen and skylake butting heads. I would suspect that Intel will keep with its quad core and hyperthreading mainstream i7's for another generation or two, so it will be interesting, especially if a Zen core is comparable to a skylake core - hyperthreading would not make up for that.

Skylake is still coming to desktop Q3 this year. I don't know why you think otherwise... Broadwell K and Skylake S will be within just a few months of each other. Also, Intel will adapt to fight off competition as needed. If that means it needs to provide hexacore mainstream chips, it will. Don't assume Intel would just roll over on the fight for a generation.

8 here is only a sign of weak cores

4 would be a sign of getting on par with Intels IPC which is what CPU monopoly is about

Simply view the matchup of IBM's Power 8s vs. Intel's IB Xeons. If AMD wants both desktop and server marketshare that means its enthusiast chips have to go toe to toe with the 5960x. Notice the article says "up to 8 cores."

Skylake is still coming to desktop Q3 this year. I don't know why you think otherwise... Broadwell K and Skylake S will be within just a few months of each other. Also, Intel will adapt to fight off competition as needed. If that means it needs to provide hexacore mainstream chips, it will. Don't assume Intel would just roll over on the fight for a generation.

mobile usually launch first, and then there is a delay for desktop to arrive. I'm hoping to upgrade my cpu (and mobo too I guess) this year, and if it's skylake all the better, but its not written in stone yet that the desktop skylake SKUs will be out before the year is up.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

By the way guys, if these Zen chips are as anywhere near as strong as Intel's, expect to be paying $400-500 for an 8 core varient

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

By the way guys, if these Zen chips are as anywhere near as strong as Intel's, expect to be paying $400-500 for an 8 core varient

And requiring a strong arctic breeze passing over your case just so you have enough cool air to cool the bloody thing. 

And requiring a strong arctic breeze passing over your case just so you have enough cool air to cool the bloody thing. 

or they won't have a spreader like the good old days.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

They include Sata-e, m.2, and pci-e 3.0 with that DDR4 and I might switch.

Also they need mobo's that look as good as intel mobos (I know it's up to the manufacturer). I just notice that when I look at AMD mobo's....they look old for some reason, at least compared to z97 and even z87

PCI-E 3.0 is definitley going to be there, considering they're on FM2(+) already. I'm sure they'll include the other things too. 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

PCI-E 3.0 is definitley going to be there, considering they're on FM2(+) already. I'm sure they'll include the other things too. 

Hopefully. That was my reason for going with Intel and getting a 4690k, they're CPU's didn't have any mobos with 3.0, just the APU's which I am not interested in wasting my money on.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Hopefully. That was my reason for going with Intel and getting a 4690k, they're CPU's didn't have any mobos with 3.0, just the APU's which I am not interested in wasting my money on.

Yeah, with any decent graphics card the 860K will bottleneck in some games. I can't wait 'till March for my 4690K  :D

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Yeah, with any decent graphics card the 860K will bottleneck in some games. I can't wait 'till March for my 4690K  :D

It's so nice. The only things that lag are anything on my HDD, and chrome. with my SSD, restart takes like 30s at most

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I want Zen so badly.. but waiting until almost 2017 is.. that'll be -hard-.  x.x

It's so nice. The only things that lag are anything on my HDD, and chrome. with my SSD, restart takes like 30s at most

Restarts are like that for me with my MX100. Nothing lags at all, except in Ubisoft games, and a few others, where GPU usage is only like 50% and CPU is in the high 80's.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

mobile usually launch first, and then there is a delay for desktop to arrive. I'm hoping to upgrade my cpu (and mobo too I guess) this year, and if it's skylake all the better, but its not written in stone yet that the desktop skylake SKUs will be out before the year is up.

Other way around this time to milk the returns on R&D for Broadwell.

Hopefully they're premiere strong single core performance.

So many people are so obsessed with "MOAR COREZ TEH BETTERZ"!

Get it right AMD.  I am definitely wanting real competition for Intel as it is only good for me as the consumer.  I also wouldn't mind you making me feel better about naming my daughter after your company. LOL

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

restart takes like 30s at most

This was the best part of upgrading to an SSD. It takes me longer to shut down than it does to boot up from a cold boot (provided I disable passwords and auto login to desktop).