AMD Zen (update)

Doobeedoo

sounds good, hopefully they will be massively improved then maybe i will stick with amd

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

TDP of up to 95W, 14nm.

Woot! No more worrying about having to get 8+2 Phase VRMs with a heat sink!

Q3 2016? That's a long wait. How will AMD survive till then?

Your guess is as good as mine! ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Can't even see their 300 series gpus meeting expectations.

??

AMD always delivers when it comes to GPUs. That doesn't mean it will be twice as fast as a 980 or anything unreasonable. But the chances are that they will be compelling products if you go by AMD's track record on GPUs.

And requiring a strong arctic breeze passing over your case just so you have enough cool air to cool the bloody thing. 

max TDP is only 95 watts.

8 here is only a sign of weak cores

4 would be a sign of getting on par with Intels IPC which is what CPU monopoly is about

The 5960X must have weak cores too by your terminology.

And requiring a strong arctic breeze passing over your case just so you have enough cool air to cool the bloody thing.

The top end eight core is suppose to have a TDP of 95w. Pretty much that of the FX-8370E. As you jump down to the six core and quad core the TDP should also drop. The six core would have a TDP of something like 65w.

OK that sounds really cool, let's hope for the best.

Also guessing

- not compatible to either FM2+ nor AM3+

-coming 2nd Q of 2016

I want it now!

Ill-AMD-nati confirmed... :D

Buuut 2016... -_-

tumblr_n1871rLe8y1rt0tppo1_250.gif

Click here to claim your free Linus plushie.

They include Sata-e, m.2, and pci-e 3.0 with that DDR4 and I might switch.

Also they need mobo's that look as good as intel mobos (I know it's up to the manufacturer). I just notice that when I look at AMD mobo's....they look old for some reason, at least compared to z97 and even z87

It will be 2016, of course they will have all the new stuff. Also the reason current AMD mobos look old is because most of them are old.

Isn't that a given with 8?

No way, have you looked at any of the Intel CPUs that have 8 cores? They are basically regular Intel Core iX series CPUs with more cores.

Spoiler

4790k @ 4.5Ghz 1.180v NZXT Kraken X31 | MSI Z97 Krait | Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB 1866Mhz, 2 DIMMs white and 2 black | GTX 980 Ti - G1 Gaming | GTX 680 - Reference | SilverStone ST75F-P | Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Mid 2016 will also be the time when OLED screens will hopefully be affordable by a non-aristocrat. And hopefully contain some freesync too, as it surely will be widespread by then.

So 2016 will be a magical year indeed.

If only it came a year earlier, if only.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

Skeptical until I see pricetag.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Q3 2016? That's a long wait. How will AMD survive till then?

Hitting markets that they usually don't make much revenue in. AMD has a few technologies other than desktop CPU's that will see action this year.

• Nolan
  • Skybridge
  • Pirate Islands
  • Carrizo

AMD took a big hit in their GPU revenues recently. So if Pirate Islands can really deliver the goods and even top GM200 AMD would have a GPU line that would remain dominate in the consumer market until 2016. That's an entire year for AMD to bank on just GPU sales alone. Carrizo could chew up some of the mobile market share as well. Being an appropriately priced APU it will be easier for manufactures to push out $600 4k laptops. We will have to wait and see how things turn out for them.

??

AMD always delivers when it comes to GPUs. That doesn't mean it will be twice as fast as a 980 or anything unreasonable. But the chances are that they will be compelling products if you go by AMD's track record on GPUs.

You clearly missed the point then. I wasn't commenting on how well/poorly a particular product actually performs, but thanks for your comment.

Eh, the hype is more just hope of competition. I don't think too many people expect Zen to beat Haswell or even really equal it. I think what they expect is AMD being in a position to force Intel to innovate, and then these same consumers will wait a year or two and buy the Intel chips freshly positioned on top.

I wish for competition, and hope AMD will be competitive. I don't wish for thread upon thread about how a particular product by a particular company was under-performing expectations when the expectations, even unrealistic ones were created and pushed by the rumours on the internet, and not the company itself. It is much more difficult for AMD to force intel to innovate though. If they can great, but it is an unrealistic expectation, and those same people will then dump all over their internet about how AMD couldn't hack it.

By the way guys, if these Zen chips are as anywhere near as strong as Intel's, expect to be paying $400-500 for an 8 core varient

I am ok with this. Just means I'd get a quad core, because it would be competitive, useful and at a better value.

They include Sata-e, m.2, and pci-e 3.0 with that DDR4 and I might switch.

Also they need mobo's that look as good as intel mobos (I know it's up to the manufacturer). I just notice that when I look at AMD mobo's....they look old for some reason, at least compared to z97 and even z87

They aren't produced as regularly and haven't been too important to board manufacturer's bottomlines. Hopefully that changes.

On a side note, this should coincide with a time where I will certainly have the resources for a new build. Let's see how this develops.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

and i thought they might fit into my am3+ mobo.

well i hope amd kicks some ass so we can leave the ddr3 area and let me get more of that cheap memory.

Hitting markets that they usually don't make much revenue in. AMD has a few technologies other than desktop CPU's that will see action this year.

• Nolan
  • Skybridge
  • Pirate Islands
  • Carrizo

AMD took a big hit in their GPU revenues recently. So if Pirate Islands can really deliver the goods and even top GM200 AMD would have a GPU line that would remain dominate in the consumer market until 2016. That's an entire year for AMD to bank on just GPU sales alone. Carrizo could chew up some of the mobile market share as well. Being an appropriately priced APU it will be easier for manufactures to push out $600 4k laptops. We will have to wait and see how things turn out for them.

Although the new floating specs rumor/leak concerning the 390X having 6144 SPs is scaring me. The 380x already has an AIO cooling solution. How the bloody Hell is AMD supposed to make a dual GPU flagship out of such a monstrous chip?

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

• Nolan
  • Skybridge
  • Pirate Islands
  • Carrizo

Isn't Nolan/Amur and Skybridge the same thing?

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

Although the new floating specs rumor/leak concerning the 390X having 6144 SPs is scaring me. The 380x already has an AIO cooling solution. How the bloody Hell is AMD supposed to make a dual GPU flagship out of such a monstrous chip?

Dual PCB design perhaps, like the old Nvidia GTX 295?

My PC specs; Processor: Intel i5 2500K @4.6GHz, Graphics card: Sapphire AMD R9 Nano 4GB DD Overclocked @1050MHz Core and 550 MHz Memory. Hard Drives: 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM, 2TB Western Digital Green Drive, Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V , Power Supply: OCZ ZS series 750W 80+ Bronze certified, Case: NZXT S340, Memory: Corsair Vengance series Ram, Dual Channel kit @ 1866 Mhz, 10-11-10-30 Timings, 4x4 GB DIMMs. Cooler: CoolerMaster Seidon 240V

Isn't Zen supposed to be ARM/x86

So that would say to me that it will have 4 x86 cores and 4x ARM cores.

Given that there quad core APU's at the moment are 95W and a powerful ARM quad core are about 4W they're not going to have to do much to fit into this TDP

I want this to be epic but givin they're so ARM driven I have my doubts.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

Given that there quad core APU's at the moment are 95W and a powerful ARM quad core are about 4W they're not going to have to do much to fit into this TDP

I sort of remember someone saying sometime that it was supposed to be x86-64, and didn't mention ARM, so I guess only x86-64?

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Zen is only x86, meanwhile k12 is AMDs upcomming ARM architecture.

Dual PCB design perhaps, like the old Nvidia GTX 295?

Doesn't matter. There's no cooling that monster even if you used an Alphacool Monsta 140mm rad.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd