Why is the Samsung 840 EVO so cheap?

TerminalVelocity

There's an almost-perfectly 5-star 250GB SSD for $130 on Newegg.  Is there something that makes it so much cheaper than competition?  If not, why don't we all use this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147248&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

I don't always use Vessel.... but when I do, it's because of Scrapyard Wars.

there are actually a lot of people who use it. I do for example.

Edit: It even has over 600 reviews on Newegg. That's quite a lot.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

There's an almost-perfectly 5-star 250GB SSD for $130 on Newegg.  Is there something that makes it so much cheaper than competition?  If not, why don't we all use this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147248&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

They are 115 euros here in the Netherlands and they are very good.

My dad and brother have both one

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

MX100 is usually cheaper, but the tlc nand is the reason for it being cheap. 

250gb ssd's are frequently on sale for around $80~ USD. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I got em for $79.99 on cyber monday. Price seems to have gone up

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

Thank you.  Oh, wow.  I feel stupid now. 

I don't always use Vessel.... but when I do, it's because of Scrapyard Wars.

MX100 is usually cheaper, but the tlc nand is the reason for it being cheap.

the 840 evo uses tlc

the mx100 uses mlc

tlc is the cheaper one

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

the 840 evo uses tlc

the mx100 uses mlc

tlc is the cheaper one

that is what i meant, op asked why the evo was cheap, not why the mx was cheap. 

It is that cheap because there is one serious flaw with it that "no one" knew about and there is such a market flood that it needs to be "thinned". The flaw was that if you have data that is not used frequently the speed of reads of that data was significantly slower than advertised speeds. Samsung has since put out a firmware fix for it and all seems to be well for those that have installed the new firmware.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

It is a good compromise between price and quality. I think it uses the cheaper MLC flash. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

It is that cheap because there is one serious flaw with it that "no one" knew about and there is such a market flood that it needs to be "thinned". The flaw was that if you have data that is not used frequently the speed of reads of that data was significantly slower than advertised speeds. Samsung has since put out a firmware fix for it and all seems to be well for those that have installed the new firmware.

This, basically.

Because of the issue mentioned above, it got quite a bad rep.  Shame really, because it is a really good drive.  On the other hand, it means those who realize that this "flaw" is really a non-issue can get one cheaper. 

I currently have 3 840 EVOs.  A 120GB mSATA, a 240GB and a 1TB one.  All had the new firmware and are performing just fine.  Thinking of getting a couple more 840 EVOs while I can get them cheap.  I need to replace a couple of old small OCZs anyway.

That is actually high, since you can find the 850 evo for around 130 on amazon and newegg. A few of the 840s (older model) most have been bought out temporarily making a price increase. I saw 840 evos near 110 before I went for 850 evos.

It is the 840/850 pro that are of higher cost. Corsairs m550 and m500 are the older variants and are thus cheaper and less efficient than the mx100. To compare an 840 to a mx100 is folly as an mx100 should compare to the 850 evo/pro and the 840 should compare to the m550. People seem to just be cross evaluating products from different generations of ssds. For the ssd market, each year or two is in itself a new generation.

Still new, but learning

i7 4790K / GTX 970 G1 Gaming / Maximus VII Hero / Swiftech H240x / Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb, 1600mhz, cl9 / 850 evo 250GB /

WD Blue 1TB / HX850 / Phanteks Enthoo Pro

Production volume.

That is the main reason they can charge such a low price. 

Look at the graphic linked here

You have fixed costs and variable costs. Fixed costs mean that even if you don't produce anything you still have to pay money(For example real estate tax). 

Then there are variable costs. This would include the actual costs for the raw material. Now, the more you produce, the more material you have to buy, the higher the variable costs are. 

But the fixed costs obviously stay the same. So at high production volumes the fixed costs are distributed into smaller chunks.

Now, this is obviously not the only reason the drives are so cheap, other reasons include the fact that Samsung actually produces the drives, so their selling price stays way closer to production price than third party sellers with their markup and the fact that Samsung wants to aggressively prosition their products. 

They probably could, if they wanted, sell SSDs at a small loss severly undercutting their competition, driving them out of the market. (This wouldn't work for various reasons in a market like PC hardware, but is theoretically possible)

TLDR: High Production volume reduce the price per drive for Samsung, which they use for aggressive pricing

• 6 years later...