GTX 970 is by far the worse video card on the market for the price.

meritmaster

Well i just finished bench marking, and have been playing games to test the GTX 970; have decided that this card is nothing but a huge 400 dollar disappointment, thanks Nivdia. 

First off this card hitches like no card before it, pretty much every game i play there is hitching, and some it's worse (far cry 4 , shadow of mordor are two fine examples). I can't get away from this and is ruining my experience in gaming all together, fairly shitty. One moment it will be 60fps, and if ANYTHING happens that is dramatic the frames can fall down to a lame 30 fps and cause a huge jolt in my screen. (Geforce forum thread started by people with the same problem)

Second: Screen tearing, this card screen tears on every game; sometimes the screen tearing is light, others ( newer games) it can be somewhat unbearable, and a game breaking factor for  me. It's seems to me that nividia made screen tearing a problem so we would have purchase g-sync because i shouldn't be getting screen tearing like this. (https://teksyndicate.com/forum/gpu/gtx-970-screen-tearing/189909) Forum posting from a GTX 970 user with the same problem.

Third: Benchmark scores suck, and vary. Sometimes i will score near 10,000 and sometimes i score 7000 on fire strike while i heard the gtx 970 should be getting 12-14k scores.

Fourth: My older video cards can play certain games better, but with newer titles the 970 excels slightly more than my previous gtx 660 ti PE would, and the performance difference is no huge at all. This video card just generally sucks. There are no games that can be played at a solid 60 fps @ 1080p and that's sad.  Example would be Arma III. With my GTX 970 i would get a decent 30-50 fps  on the ultra preset with AA off, but with my GTX 970 i get a soild 15-30 fps, and no matter what i do to my settings the frame rate won't change. This pisses me off, as i bought this card to excel in this game. Last night i was playing online, and someone told me they were getting a solid 45 fps with gtx 480, and while i was getting a whopping 24 fps.

Conclusion for me: I wasted all the money i had for my upgrade on a piece of shit that can't doesn't give me the performance that i thought i was buying for the 400 dollar price tag. It's not me who is feelign that the gtx 970 is under performing, but a lot of owners of gtx 970 seem to be pissed. 

It's not my system either. I have reformatted multiple times, and keep my computer clean from malware, and virus ( i don't expose myself to them, and this computer is purely for gaming), so it's not me. I even cleaned out my whole system ( which i do every month) of dust to stop it thermal throttling, which it wasn't, but i went along and tried that option too, and nothing improved. I check all my connections four times, and replugged my video card in different PCI slots, but nothing improved. My system is clean, and healthy as it could, but it's performing like shit.

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

Yeah... No. You're wrong, you probably have a bad card.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Huh? It's not even $400.

and someone told me they were getting a solid 45 fps with gtx 480, and while i was getting a whopping 24 fps.

What a source. What processor do you have?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Well i just finished bench marking, and have been playing games to test the GTX 970, and i have decided that this card is nothing but a huge  400 dollar disappointment, thanks Nivdia. 

First off this card hitches like no card before it. Pretty much every game i play there is hitching, and some it's worse (far cry 4 , shadow of mordor are two fine examples). I can't get away from this and is ruining my experience in gaming all together, fairly shitty. One moment i'll be 60fps, and if ANYTHING happens that is dramatic the frames can fall down to a lame 30 fps and cause a huge jolt in my screen. (Geforce forum thread started by people with the same problem)

Second: Screen tearing, this card screen tears on every game; sometimes the screen tearing is light, and others ( newer games) it can be somewhat unbearable, and a game breaking factor for  me. It's seems to me that nividia made screen tearing a problem so we would have purchase g-sync because i shouldn't be getting screen tearing like this. (https://teksyndicate.com/forum/gpu/gtx-970-screen-tearing/189909) Forum posting from a GTX 970 user with the same problem.

Third: Benchmark scores suck, and vary. sometimes i score near 10,000 and sometimes i score 7000 on fire strike while i heard the gtx 970 should be getting 12-14k scores.

Fourth: My older video cards can play certain games better, but with newer titles the 970 excels slightly more than my previous gtx 660 ti PE would, and the performance difference is no huge at all. This video card just generally sucks. There are no games that can be played at a solid 60 fps @ 1080p and that's sad.  Example would be Arma III. With my GTX 970 i would get a decent 30-50 fps  on the ultra preset with AA off, but with my GTX 970 i get a soild 15-30 fps, and no matter what i do to my settings the frame rate won't change. This pisses me off, as i bought this card to excel in this game. Last night i was playing online, and someone told me they were getting a solid 45 fps with gtx 480, and while i was getting a whopping 24 fps.

Conclusion for me: I wasted all the money i had for my upgrade on a piece of shit that can't doesn't give me the performance that i thought i was buying for the 400 dollar price tag. It's not me who is feelign that the gtx 970 is under performing, but a lot of owners of gtx 970 seem to be pissed. 

It's not my system either. I have reformatted multiple times, and keep my computer clean from malware, and virus ( i don't expose myself to them, and this computer is purely for gaming), so it's not me. I even cleaned out my whole system ( which i do every month) of dust to stop it thermal throttling, which it wasn't, but i went along and tried that option too, and nothing improved. I check all my connections four times, and replugged my video card in different PCI slots, but nothing improved. My system is clean, and healthy as it could, but it's performing like shit.

Might not be your system but have you considered its a faulty card. RMA it and then come back here. 

My gtx 970 has 0 of these issues. 

1.it is cheaper than 400$
2.something is wrong with your card  

CPU:AMD FX-8320, RAM:Kingston Fury Black Series 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600, GPU:MSI Radeon R9 280, Case:Cooler Master 690 III, PSU:Thermaltake Smart 650W

Storage:WD Purple 1TB, CPU Cooler:Hyper 212 EVO, Keyboard:SCI Granite, OS:win 8.1 64bit, Display:Samsung SyncMaster SA100, Mouse:CM Storm Spawn

10K is normal for 3Dmark.

What's the rest of your system's specs? Arma 3 will run like ass if you're on AMD. (Although 45 FPS on intel is shitty too)

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

So a few people having issues in a sea of people that are not makes it the worst card on the market....right

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I hit 12,000ish consistently with my 970. Are you sure you and other people aren't experiencing.....SOFTWARE ISSUES? Obviously, THAT can't be the issue. No, it has to be the card itself. This is my current score using the standard Firestrike benchmark. 970 overclocked to 1.533GHz on the Core.

post-7355-0-21619800-1421608150.jpg

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Never had any of those problems with my 970, even while it's being bottlenecked by my CPU, I never get hitching or tearing

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

Yeah... No. You're wrong, you probably have a bad card.

Then why are other people having the same problem?

Gigabyte told me my card is fine, and nothing is wrong with the hardware. I've ran tests, and my card isn't defective. 

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

"one card sucks so all cards suck"

we all heard that before

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Then why are other people having the same problem?

Gigabyte told me my card is fine, and nothing is wrong with the hardware. I've ran tests, and my card isn't defective. 

The fuck are you talking about? You have no other 970's to compare with...

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

I hit 12,000ish consistently with my 970. Are you sure you and other people aren't experiencing.....SOFTWARE ISSUES? Obviously, THAT can't be the issue. No, it has to be the card itself. This is my current score using the standard Firestrike benchmark.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Mine 970 is fine too. OP seems to have a monday card

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

My 970 is perfect, maxing out nearly every game I have no problem. I think it is a great card when playing on 1080P. 

EDIT - 12K-14K from heavily overclocked CPU and GPU, around 9.5K-10K is normal.

Sounds more of a driver problem to me. I have a GTX 970 and don't experience low frames. Remember to always reinstall GPU drivers everytime you swap/reseat any GPU.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer 8GB 1866 Video Card: MSI GTX 970 GAMING 4G SSDSamsung 840 Evo 250GB HDD: WD 1TB + 500GB Caviar Blue
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Case: Gigabyte GZ-G1 Mouse: Corsair M65 RGB Keyboard: Corsair K70 MX Brown MousePad: Corsair MM200
Steam/Origin/Uplay: renz62

I know that the GTX 970 & 980 scores lower in Valley benchmark, but scoring less that 10k in firestrike means that your system isn't getting adequate cooling for boost to occur.

1.it is cheaper than 400$

2.something is wrong with your card  

1. My card ended up being 380$ plus shipping and tax, so qhat?

2. Gigabyte insures me my card is fine, but is under performing

10K is normal for 3Dmark.

What's the rest of your system's specs? Arma 3 will run like ass if you're on AMD. (Although 45 FPS on intel is shitty too)

• CPU
    I5-3570k
  • Motherboard
    MSI GD-80 z77a
  • RAM
    16GB DDR3 Vengeance 1600 Mhz
  • GPU
    1x Gigabyte GTX 970 (non G1)
  • Case
    Cooler Master Haf 922
  • Storage
    256gb Sandisk SSD | 160gb WD Blue 7k 16mb Cache
  • PSU
    Antec 750 watt (80+ bronze)
  • Display(s)
    Samsung 720p 42' TV|LG Flatron e2250|Nivdia shield
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master LED 200mm fans 2x|Cooler Master 120mm fan| Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
  • Keyboard
    Cooler Master CM Storm ($30) red
  • Mouse
    Razor Naga Blue & Cooler master CM Storm mouse
  • Sound
    Siberan v2 Headset & B&W fronts, infinities in the back, and energy 10' sub woofer
  • Operating System
    Windows 7 & Android

~Abraham Lincoln

I know that the GTX 970 & 980 scores lower in Valley benchmark, but scoring less that 10k in firestrike means that your system isn't getting adequate cooling for boost to occur.

valley ran a bit weird on my 970. It even locked up the system. After windows and all the drivers valley runs fine. 

Intel 4790k | Asus Z97 Maximus VII Impact | Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 16 GB 1866Mhz | Asus Strix GTX 980 | CoolerMaster G550 |Samsung Evo 250GB | Synology DS215j (NAS) | Logitech G502 |

Probably scoring lower because of your cpu as firestrike has a physic benchmark.

-snip-

YOU CAN'T JUDGE THE PERFORMANCE OF A GPU WITH ONLY ONE SAMPLE FFS

Change the title to "My 970 is the worst video card for that price"  :P
Sorry to hear that you have problems with your GPU, but the 970 is a great performer. You might got a faulty one. If your fps are way off from benchmarks then return the card.

What games wont run at 1080p and 60fps on a gtx 970 i have hard time believing this since i have this card. 

So far every game i tried runs amazingly on my gtx 970. 

Also make sure you have things like msaa disabled or ssaa.