Cleaning a Membrane Keyboard [Update; dead, need new keyboard]

Albatross
Go to solution Solved by Guest Philosophy,

Unfortunately that is over my budget. :(

Thanks, I will ask just that. I hope he won't mind me mentioning him for that purpose though. :P

@ , if you still have the kb, how do you like it? Would you recommend it for my budget and needs?

I love my mouse and keyboard! It fits perfectly in your budget, feels great to type on and I think would fit your needs well. 

Hi guys,

So I wanted to clean my membrane keyboard (I know, get a mechanical keyboard, I will) so I took it apart to clean the keys etc  and noticed that the membrane thing, this:

H8hokt7.jpg

is pretty dusty and a little grimy. How would I clean this? I'm not looking to clean this part of the keyboard below, just the plastic thing above. Would hot water be safe, or am I supposed to use something else?

IMJWzAw.jpg

I'm not sure if it matters, but it is an Logitech Y-SAE71 SK-2930.

Thanks for reading guys! :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I put mine through the dishwasher and dried it in the oven at a very low temp. Let's say it's garbage now. And that was advice from a "tech" book.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I took mine off and ran it under the tap with hot water and scrubbed it with soap.

Nice and simple!

I'll do that now, thanks AlwaysFSX. :)

I put mine through the dishwasher and dried it in the oven at a very low temp. Let's say it's garbage now. And that was advice from a "tech" book.

I remember being told to do that with it a while ago, back in '07 I think. Thankfully I didn't do it. Your keyboard is in a better place now. :P

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

But hell you reflowed that membrane perfectly.

Nice and simple!

I'll do that now, thanks AlwaysFSX. :)

I remember being told to do that with it a while ago, back in '07 I think. Thankfully I didn't do it. Your keyboard is in a better place now. :P

Was it in a book? I remember a book published that year that told me to do so.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Was it in a book? I remember a book published that year that told me to do so.

Nah, it was a tech guy at a store. I asked when I bought the keyboard how I would clean it and he said to do what you did to yours. I couldn't believe it so I didn't do it.

I think I killed it. Lights are on, but keys don't respond. Oddly enough my second keyboard controls the lights and "features" of the Logitech board, even though it is an HP keyboard. Yes, it was completely dry, I triple-super checked.

This sucks.  :lol:  How can I check to see if it is truly dead?

edit

Screw it, my beloved is dead, I'm not going to hold out thinking she's still alive. :(

Can anyone recommend me a keyboard for around 30-40$? Preferences (stuff in bold would be a plus but not necessary):

• Keys for music applications. Skip, pause, mute, Vol up/down. I access these keys a lot during personal time and work.
  • Keys must be spaced apart (nothing like this please. I cannot write on it lol)
  • Wired
  • Backlit (blue) or keys' font is blue / black-blue theme
  • would be cool if it were mechanical but I'm not picky so yea, membrane is fine.

So far I only found these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BBUCCKO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3O14SZEH5K3BN&coliid=I2RKFACXZCAHOX

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DKXXAAQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3O14SZEH5K3BN&coliid=I3AGMA7F1E5LE8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F8W9SWQ/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p147_d0_i11?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1ATYTWNG8NVAR047J1ZP&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop (< missing skip keys but oh well, but than nothing I guess)

But since I know nothing about good keyboards or the like, I'll ask you guys to please share your suggestions/thoughts. :)

Screw it, my beloved is dead, I'm not going to hold out thinking she's still alive. :(

Can anyone recommend me a keyboard for around 30-40$? Preferences (stuff in bold would be a plus but not necessary):

• Keys for music applications. Skip, pause, mute, Vol up/down. I access these keys a lot during personal time and work.
  • Keys must be spaced apart (nothing like this please. I cannot write on it lol)
  • Wired
  • would be cool if it were mechanical but I'm not picky so yea, membrane is fine.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BBUCCKO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3O14SZEH5K3BN&coliid=I2RKFACXZCAHOX

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DKXXAAQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3O14SZEH5K3BN&coliid=I3AGMA7F1E5LE8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F8W9SWQ/ref=s9_psimh_gw_p147_d0_i11?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=desktop-1&pf_rd_r=1ATYTWNG8NVAR047J1ZP&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=1970559082&pf_rd_i=desktop (< missing skip keys but oh well, but than nothing I guess)

But since I know nothing about good keyboards or the like, I'll ask you guys to please share your suggestions/thoughts. :)

If you're budget is around USD 50-100, get a mechanical keyboard like this: keyboard (Linus also made a review on this)

I think I killed it. Lights are on, but keys don't respond. Oddly enough my second keyboard controls the lights and "features" of the Logitech board, even though it is an HP keyboard. Yes, it was completely dry, I triple-super checked.

This sucks.  :lol:  How can I check to see if it is truly dead?

edit

• Wired

Ask @ about his keyboard and mouse (CM Storm) and see if they're for you!

I personally vote for that and then you have a mouse with it if you really need it.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

If you're budget is around USD 50-100, get a mechanical keyboard like this: keyboard (Linus also made a review on this)

Ask @ about his keyboard and mouse (CM Storm) and see if they're for you!

I personally vote for that and then you have a mouse with it if you really need it.

Thanks, I will ask just that. I hope he won't mind me mentioning him for that purpose though. :P

@ , if you still have the kb, how do you like it? Would you recommend it for my budget and needs?

I love my mouse and keyboard! It fits perfectly in your budget, feels great to type on and I think would fit your needs well. 

Thanks for the quick reply Philosophy! I'm gonna go ahead and get this keyboard.  B) 

(thanked and marked as solved)