David Cameron wants to ban encryption

tom564

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/12/uk-spy-agencies-need-more-powers-says-cameron-paris-attacks

So it looks like Cameron wants to make it illegal for any encrypted communication to happen without the government being able to intercept and view the content provided they have a valid warrant (which we all know they follow..) This would make using encryption such as PGP illegal and could even result in company's like apple having to redesign their OS for the UK market.

Some problems I see:

1. Governments can and will abuse power

2. Banning encryption could result in weaker overall security, the current security situation is terrible when it comes to encryption and imposing tough restrictions in the use of crypto could result in even less implementation meaning that anyone could intercept the plain text data 

3. apps like snapchat / whatsapp that use encryption could become illegal to use as company's would have to adapt their app for use in the UK and could prevent international use 

4. It doesn't solve the problem, "The attacks in Paris demonstrated the scale of the threat that we face and the need to have robust powers through our intelligence and security agencies in order to keep our people safe." even if they had this power unless they were actively surveying the suspects they wouldn't of stopped the attack. 

What do you guys think?

Fix your color to "automatic".

And looks like the article has either been pulled from The Guardian or your link is broken - I think the article was pulled.

That's the stupidest thing you can do.

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

And looks like the article has either been pulled from The Guardian or your link is broken - I think the article was pulled.

Fixed

<3 Davey C, but this, this is absurd..

You've misinterpreted this, this is in response to the Carlie Hebdo attacks. He is basically saying that GCHQ needs more power to look into the lives of potential terrorists, not into your lives or average peoples' lives.

We all know everyone agrees that the internet needs to be somewhat regulated, it's just finding the right balance.

What Davey C is doing here is protecting the right for us to feel safe, something that should be protected imo.

Compatible with Windows 95

ban encryption ?????????

might as well hand out my credit cards to strangers in the streets...

exactly.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Yeah that won't happen or the UK will suffer both from the disagreement of... well everyone with this happening and I can see attack at a government happening very soon after if it takes place. Man I hate that guy!

Wouldn't it be great to live in a country where whistle blowers and journalists can't communicate securely /S

That's the stupidest thing you can do.

Why?

I'll say what Frankie Boyle said.

"why are we led by the least among us?"

Seems to be the truth for all nations, we have morons at the helm.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

It's a double edged sword. If he wants the CIA (or whatever it's called in the UK) to get more power, banning encryption is going to hurt them as well. Say goodbye to whatever encoded classified material they have.

I see no good in this, unless someone can explain it for me.

Don't you know? no one is allowed break the law except the government, and exposing it means you're a traitor and get espionage charges filed against you.

This line is amusing "But the question is are we going to allow a means of communications which it simply isn’t possible to read. My answer to that question is: no, we must not."

No privacy, no privacy at all. Not for people, not for business owners who want to keep their corporate secrets hidden. Everything is up for grabs. That shit is sickening...

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/12/uk-spy-agencies-need-more-powers-says-cameron-paris-attacks

So it looks like Cameron wants to make it illegal for any encrypted communication to happen without the government being able to intercept and view the content provided they have a valid warrant (which we all know they follow..) This would make using encryption such as PGP illegal and could even result in company's like apple having to redesign their OS for the UK market.

Some problems I see:

2. Banning encryption could result in weaker overall security, the current security situation is terrible when it comes to encryption and imposing tough restrictions in the use of crypto could result in even less implementation meaning that anyone could intercept the plain text data 

3. apps like snapchat / whatsapp that use encryption could become illegal to use as company's would have to adapt their app for use in the UK and could prevent international use 

4. It doesn't solve the problem, "The attacks in Paris demonstrated the scale of the threat that we face and the need to have robust powers through our intelligence and security agencies in order to keep our people safe." even if they had this power unless they were actively surveying the suspects they wouldn't of stopped the attack. 

What do you guys think?

There are already laws covering the use of encryption in the UK and US.

Some problems I see:

What do you guys think?

oh coz liziad squad wouldent be a problem with no encryption, and plus the way the uk government are going David Cameron wont be PM for long, and what isnt he planning to ban

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

Why?

without encryption we are vulnerable to intruding forces.   

\/Specs\/

Xeon E3 1230 V3-Maximus vi hero-2x4gb G skill RipjawsX 2133-EVGA supernova-1 tb seagate-Samsung 840 EVO 1TB-NZXT H440-EVGA 6Gb 780 Razer-Blackwidow Ultimate-Corsair M65

MSI Ghost Pro GS60 

This line is amusing "But the question is are we going to allow a means of communications which it simply isn’t possible to read. My answer to that question is: no, we must not."

No privacy, no privacy at all. Not for people, not for business owners who want to keep their corporate secrets hidden. Everything is up for grabs. That shit is sickening...

No privacy, except for government officials of course.

And thus begins the start of Animal Farm, everyone is equal, except some are more equal than others.

Welp. Looks like James Cameron has gotten a little senile recently.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

<3 Davey C, but this, this is absurd..

You've misinterpreted this, this is in response to the Carlie Hebdo attacks. He is basically saying that GCHQ needs more power to look into the lives of potential terrorists, not into your lives or average peoples' lives.

We all know everyone agrees that the internet needs to be somewhat regulated, it's just finding the right balance.

What Davey C is doing here is protecting the right for us to feel safe, something that should be protected imo.

Yes that is what they say it will be used for but there would be nothing but policy stopping them from taking it further

There are already laws covering the use of encryption in the UK and US.

Yes but they are no where near as extreme, in the UK it is illegal to refuse to hand over your key if you get a court order for it which I don't agree with either but it's not as bad 

Yes that is what they say it will be used for but there would be nothing but policy stopping them from taking it further

Right, because that's ever worked.

Just like how in the US we have "secret" courts in the US where a judge is the only person defending you from getting spied on by the government.

Let me give you a scenario, my friend...

A mate of mine was raped in 2013 by this person. The experience was so traumatic for him that he deleted all of the facebook, text and Whatsapp messages from him. Thanks to privacy laws, he isn't able to get hold of these messages without a warrant, which is fine. Only, you can't get a warrant granted based on verbal accusations, now, since my mate deleted everything there is no evidence, so the rapist is still free. Fair? I think not, this is completely unfair and having to not have to go by such strict regulations would be better in such situations.

Actually, there is; In Britain, we're part of the EU, which regulates stuff like this. If there's an issue or a breach, it is classified as criminal. Also, there are independent scrutiny bodies set up to protect your rights in situations like this.

Just like how in the US we have "secret" courts in the US where a judge is the only person defending you from getting spied on by the government.

Again, this is the UK, not America; American law is somewhat relaxed about this despite the fact that it's clear in the constitution. It's important to note that the UK's GCHQ is regulated, wheras the NSA is more autonomous, only subject to scrutiny when the public really requests it.

Compatible with Windows 95

Yeh, noone to watch the watchers 

Terrorism is not as much of a problem in comparison as they want us to think, too many times they have used it as a way to push legislation and policies, look at the TSA for example. The loss of privacy and freedom in the name of security isn't worth the trade off imo.