Why hate on the IT guy?

RNorris3926

Are Kronos time keeping program only works with IE. Some of the other programs we use will only work with IE 7 or less. Had to put virtual windows an all the systems just to be able to run them. I work for a chicken plant, hens the chicken for my pic.

i like chciken. :3

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

What really ticks me off is working with my mom and stepdad in "tech-support." My stepdad is WAY too cautious a person - not just on the internet (and yes, it is possible to be too cautious on the internet) but in day-to-day life - and things on the internet allude him. I opened up an Incognito Window in Chrome so he could log into two emails at once. I told him he would be logged out if he simply closed the incognito window as it won't be saved in history. He profusely refused to and did the old-fashioned log-out process.

It goes beyond this too. He was entering an email address on Amazon and he mistyped his password the first time he did. He accidentally refreshed the page and had to re-enter everything back in. His email address is long and I told him, as he started typing the first couple of letters into the box for the email address, "Oh, there's your email. Just click on it and the box will be filled in." His response?

"I don't want to. I don't trust it."

"YOU DON'T TRUST IT?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?" 

"I don't like that they're keeping that information. I don't want to click on it."

"ALL IT WOULD DO IS FILL IN THE BOX WITH YOUR F***%*(@* EMAIL ADDRESS. YOU WON'T BLOW UP MY COMPUTER DOING THIS...."

Then my mom....

We were looking at new phones at the Verizon store. She wanted to look at reviews of the phone she was looking at so I showed her over to a nearby smartphone (Galaxy S5 I believe) and open up the browser. She immediately starts getting frustrated. As an experienced user would know, simply touching the search box brings up the keyboard. This single step completely stumped my mom and she started JABBING at the phone randomly, trying to get something to happen. I went over to her and gently pressed my index finger to the search box. Voila - A keyboard! Her face was just funny xD

Of course, then she started yelling at the salesmen and women for reasons I can't even explain nor remember....

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Are Kronos time keeping program only works with IE. Some of the other programs we use will only work with IE 7 or less. Had to put virtual windows an all the systems just to be able to run them. I work for a chicken plant, hens the chicken for my pic.

Kronos timekeeping also works with Firefox 15 on mac and windows. IE is the mainly used browser because no IT person wants to teach some noob how to use firefox or be further blamed for some rubbish they do using firefox as it was recommended by him, then it would "it's your fault you recommended we use firefox...now what do we do".....my response would be ( in my mind though) "how about you go to the nearest police station and take dump on the front desk and see how that works out for you....with your bitch ass noobery"

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

May I recommend checking out Tales From Tech Support on Reddit? There are daily stories about interactions from users/consumers and how ridiculous these get. You're not alone in the slightest, frankly I'd say you probably have it pretty good because some of the stories I've heard on TFTS are outright asinine. Definitely worth a look.

I worked in IT for about a year, there were a few users that didn't know what to do, but never blamed me nor IT for the problems they were having, but the problems they were having were usually due to incompetence or outdated systems that our department couldn't replace due to budget.

I say they look at us like we're magicians... We did get a neglected computer laboratory working again within a month...

Force them to deepthroat logic.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

I hate the IT people I work with for being such huge condescending dicks. They've always got to be right about every minuscule thing.

You would think they'd have some respect for somebody who actually knows a fair deal about what it is that they do.

BUILD LOGSSerious Black ] [ Project Lumos ] [ SrsB ]

I don't want glory, or recognition. I just don't want to get yelled at by someone that cant even turn their computer on.

I hear ya I am not saying all IT jobs are like that like I meant to say before my job is alright they don't get mad they understand to a certain point to where it's alright. I don't want them things either. At least at my current job.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

The main IT guy at my school gets glory and recognition. But I guess that's also because he's an awesome man in general.

That is the best mix, awesome guy that is in IT. The IT guy at my high school like 8 years ago was way to awesome!

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

I hate the IT people I work with for being such huge condescending dicks. They've always got to be right about every minuscule thing.

You would think they'd have some respect for somebody who actually knows a fair deal about what it is that they do.

Actually people who "Know a fair deal about what it is that they do" tend to be the most difficult users to deal with, they are the ones who tend to fiddle with things most often and then cause issues for us when we are there to try and fix it. Granted not all people who know what they are doing are like this but most are.

They think you as a wizard who can cast a spell on their computers. Do they take em seriously.

What really ticks me off is working with my mom and stepdad in "tech-support." My stepdad is WAY too cautious a person - not just on the internet (and yes, it is possible to be too cautious on the internet) but in day-to-day life - and things on the internet allude him. I opened up an Incognito Window in Chrome so he could log into two emails at once. I told him he would be logged out if he simply closed the incognito window as it won't be saved in history. He profusely refused to and did the old-fashioned log-out process.

It goes beyond this too. He was entering an email address on Amazon and he mistyped his password the first time he did. He accidentally refreshed the page and had to re-enter everything back in. His email address is long and I told him, as he started typing the first couple of letters into the box for the email address, "Oh, there's your email. Just click on it and the box will be filled in." His response?

"I don't want to. I don't trust it."

"YOU DON'T TRUST IT?!?!?!?!??!?!?!?" 

"I don't like that they're keeping that information. I don't want to click on it."

"ALL IT WOULD DO IS FILL IN THE BOX WITH YOUR F***%*(@* EMAIL ADDRESS. YOU WON'T BLOW UP MY COMPUTER DOING THIS...."

Then my mom....

We were looking at new phones at the Verizon store. She wanted to look at reviews of the phone she was looking at so I showed her over to a nearby smartphone (Galaxy S5 I believe) and open up the browser. She immediately starts getting frustrated. As an experienced user would know, simply touching the search box brings up the keyboard. This single step completely stumped my mom and she started JABBING at the phone randomly, trying to get something to happen. I went over to her and gently pressed my index finger to the search box. Voila - A keyboard! Her face was just funny xD

Of course, then she started yelling at the salesmen and women for reasons I can't even explain nor remember....

SOME ONE UNDER STANDS OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

I don't want glory, or recognition. I just don't want to get yelled at by someone that cant even turn their computer on.

my mom has been using windows bases systems scince windows was a thing. 

every day.

i get asked.

where the start button is...

i commit scuicide verytime.

-Jim Hensen

Actually people who "Know a fair deal about what it is that they do" tend to be the most difficult users to deal with, they are the ones who tend to fiddle with things most often and then cause issues for us when we are there to try and fix it. Granted not all people who know what they are doing are like this but most are.

Yeah I could definitely see that. My experiences are predominately based on providing instructions on things I need because I don't have permissions (due to being a contractor).

BUILD LOGSSerious Black ] [ Project Lumos ] [ SrsB ]

Yeah I could definitely see that. My experiences are predominately based on providing instructions on things I need because I don't have permissions (due to being a contractor).

That is yet another category of frustration lol, the long standing debate of "how much access should we give the contractor?" which in the case of managers tends to fall on the "not enough to do the job they are contracted to do" side until its fixed

When I am at school and I say that I built my own computer other people think I am this magical IT guy and they ask stupid questions like what does gth5014 mean or stop hacking!

Oh man do I ever know how this feels. D:

Still doesn't give them an excuse to be assholes to people who are there to help...

Neither does it give those who are paid to help excuses to be condensing assholes to other employees who are not paid to know or understand the infrastructure or technology. Because of it's technical/STEM slant, there's a fair number of IT people that have zero empathy.  There's a reason why 'grumpy, condescendingly long-winded IT guy' is a trope.

Neither does it give those who are paid to help excuses to be condensing assholes to other employees who are not paid to know or understand the infrastructure or technology. Because of it's technical/STEM slant, there's a fair number of IT people that have zero empathy.  There's a reason why 'grumpy, condescendingly long-winded IT guy' is a trope.

But still. There are way too many support people (not just IT) who get absolutely harassed over the phone for no reason.

More likely than not they've had to help some dickhead sometime in the day before I called, so I try to be kind to them. If they seem to give me attitude I'll ask to talk to someone else or I'll ask for a manager or someone at a higher level than the person I'm speaking to.

PCPartPicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/R6GTGX

Привет товарищ ))))

IT Guys are expected to be like Magicians. They want everything and anything working smoothly without any problems. Once an issue occur they expect that you can fix it with just a snap. If not, they will think that you are not doing your job, you are not good, you are wasting the company's money etc. etc. 

They thought that you know everything. (Software, Hardware, Network, Server, AV, Mobile, etc etc that falls into tech)

Being yelled, blamed, hated will forever be a part of an IT guy.