Why hate on the IT guy?

RNorris3926

I work as a Production Systems/IT guy for a large company. I get calls all the time from people yelling at me because they can’t get there computers to work right. Most of the time it’s because of their own mistakes, but yet I am blamed for not doing something right. Things like “I cant get Kronos to work” and I tell them they have to have IE set as there default browser. “I don’t like IE, make it work with Google Chrome!” That is something beyond my control, yet they expect me to do it. Or “My emails aren’t showing up.” Tell them to give it a minute so that Office can pull them from the server and you can see them, and they get all pissy (please excuse that, for lack of a better word). Had one guy that refused to back his files on to the server, one day he downloaded a virus, and had to wipe his computer, got all mad because he lost all of his files. If you would keep the auto back up on, then you wouldn’t have lost everything. Claimed that the backup made his computer slow, but it only backed up at night when he want there.

Any other IT guys out there have to deal with things like this?

it's pretty much every business where you have to deal with customers like that, the person who knows stuff is the one to blame

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

As the IT guy, they expect you to magically make everything work to their desire even if it's simply not possible. "You're the IT guy after all, so fix it!" while throwing logic out the window. 

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

People are looking for someone else to blame. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

And whats funny is that I'm not even a real IT guy. I work with the PLC's. But on second shift, I'm the only one their, so I have to do a little of everything.

it's pretty much every business where you have to deal with customers like that, the person who knows stuff is the one to blame

This.

It isn't just the IT guy. You just got to deal with it. It shouldn't matter if some stranger on the phone is yelling at you.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

I work as a Production Systems/IT guy for a large company. I get calls all the time from people yelling at me because they can’t get there computers to work right. Most of the time it’s because of their own mistakes, but yet I am blamed for not doing something right. Things like “I cant get Kronos to work” and I tell them they have to have IE set as there default browser. “I don’t like IE, make it work with Google Chrome!” That is something beyond my control, yet they expect me to do it. Or “My emails aren’t showing up.” Tell them to give it a minute so that Office can pull them from the server and you can see them, and they get all pissy (please excuse that, for lack of a better word). Had one guy that refused to back his files on to the server, one day he downloaded a virus, and had to wipe his computer, got all mad because he lost all of his files. If you would keep the auto back up on, then you wouldn’t have lost everything. Claimed that the backup made his computer slow, but it only backed up at night when he want there.

All the time.. I am a network admin for a energy company and there aren't a ton of employees here and everyone is usually nice you can tell sometimes when they get agitated and think it is your fault for something not working.

They don't understand how computers work so the blame has to go somewhere.

If someone wants Glory and recognition, IT is not the right profession for anyone.

“Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavor of life, take big bites. Moderation is for monks.”

ayprbmy_700b.jpg

All the time.. I am a network admin for a energy company and there aren't a ton of employees here and everyone is usually nice you can tell sometimes when they get agitated and think it is your fault for something not working.

If someone wants Glory and recognition, IT is not the right profession for anyone.

Where I used to work we get glory and recognition. We even have staff bringing cookies, chocolates or even bakeries.

It's a not a large company though, but we have a special relationship with people, and we work with them to make to be as productive as possible.

Computers -> fast, login -> fast (logins just as fast as your home computer despite on the company domain). No pop-ups of anything when you start programs, System are updated on weekly basis fully automated so no pop-up for updates, Software must support the latest and greatest Windows (well, we follow a 6 year upgrade cycle) and/or web browser. Monitors -> 1080p, with a transition to PWM-free back light IPS panels last I work there.

Someone has a problem, they call of put a ticket and we come immediately. HOWEVER, if you are annoying, insulting (and you don't apologies), shouting, we have a zero tolerance on that. You are reported to HR, and you'll have the slowest service, ignore phone calls, 'causing large delays in your work.

Be nice, and we are all nice.

Ordinary people are just insufferable when it comes to dealing with computers. I've met people who are nice about it, but I've also met some downright ungrateful bastards. You fix their computer, and then they blame you for anything that goes wrong afterwards. People hate being told that their problems are their fault because it makes them look bad, ignorant or stupid, which is redundant thinking a lot of the time. There are also the paranoid people who think that people who know about computers are all out to get them, hacking into their computers and making them run slow.

I want to become a tech support guy at some point for a little while, just to see what happens. It's kind of entertaining. (see Experiences with Non-Techies)

The worst bit is when they start asking nonsensical questions that you just can't answer, and that's when they start yelling at you. And then they WATCH you. They stand over your shoulder with the most suspicious glower in the world and make snide comments about what you're doing wrong, or that you really don't know anything after all, and you can't hear yourself think. People are stupid sometimes.

That is how people are, they must blame someone as it they never do anything wrong. I have only had to deal with a few of these things and it is mostly from older "know it all" folks or the in home script kiddy. It is one of the bad sides of working in IT. The only thing that will generate less of this is to get a job with less interaction with the public like server or to learn the art of being tactful. Don't let this over run you having a good day....that shit can send you crazy and you don't want that.

Also, no one has to have IE as a default browser.....you working for some arm of the third reich and Z SS demands you use IE! :D

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

My issues with my school's IT team vary.

My school's IT team is way too small and the filters they use are extremely restrictive and have holes all over the place. For example, I can unlock CMD using a three line .bat file. I can install games on their server and do all sorts of other shit. I remember discovering that I can use google translate to access blocked sites. However, the google translate trick resulted in the administrators monitoring my account (I am going to be using AdVOR at school from now on).

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

My issues with my school's IT team vary.

My school's IT team is way too small and the filters they use are extremely restrictive and have holes all over the place. For example, I can unlock CMD using a three line .bat file. I can install games on their server and do all sorts of other shit. I remember discovering that I can use google translate to access blocked sites. However, the google translate trick resulted in the administrators monitoring my account (I am going to be using AdVOR at school from now on).

That is because they are using age old scripts for Windows NT 3 days, and not properly set configured the infrastructure following Microsoft documentations, which states to use Group Policies, or GPOs as they are called for short.

That is because they are using age old scripts for Windows NT 3 days, and not properly set configured the infrastructure following Microsoft documentations, which states to use Group Policies, or GPOs as they are called for short.

They are also extremely inefficient. They receive new hardware regularly and don't use it. Also, half of the student laptops are broken and the other half are breaking (Battery failures, missing keys, dead pixels, etc.). Additionally, they install interactive whiteboards in rooms that don't need or can't use them.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

I'm not an IT guy per-say as I'm not qualified, but when I was living with my parents I constantly had to help my technologically naive dad fix 'problems' with his computer, and it is very difficult to work on a computer when your getting told your doing it wrong by someone who has absolutely no clue.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

They are also extremely inefficient. They receive new hardware regularly and don't use it. Also, half of the student laptops are broken and the other half are breaking (Battery failures, missing keys, dead pixels, etc.). Additionally, they install interactive whiteboards in rooms that don't need or can't use them.

Yea. IT usually aren't programmers. They are some that have a university degree in computer science and goes to IT as they like it, and those one can do well done scripts, as they have taken courses that makes them learn how software conceptualizing, and optimization. But those aren't your everyday situation, they usually have a goal to work in internal company software, but does and like to do IT work at the same time if it's a medium or small company.

Sadly, I don't think, and i would honestly live to be corrected, many IT with a serious passion of reading "what is next" in the industry, want to get the latest and greatest, ready documentation, experiment, with a goal to do things right, and always think about the user. But rather maintain what they have, so when situation like when Vista comes out, and requires a complete relearn of how to set things up, they complain instead of being open to learn and see the results on how it is better after taking time and setting it up right. Many IT don't go run and download Windows 10 beta to check it out, and aim to be at the forefront of knowing it, and be ready to not only deploy but also use it. I am sure if you do a survey, most IT didn't even checkout Windows 8. They can use it, if it comes along, but they won't use the power menu for example, they won't know about doing things fast with the system.

And that is a big reason, in my opinion, why you have some IT that excel at their work, and others don't.

While I have 0 data, I believe that a good IT team makes a company more successful. I didn't say it would be successful the company, but more successful than if it didn't. Smarter decision making on technology choice would be made, les down time, faster and more responsive experience for the users.

And well of course, this applies to all jobs really, and hence why some excels more than others.

The main IT guy at my school gets glory and recognition. But I guess that's also because he's an awesome man in general.

Sig under construction.

When I am at school and I say that I built my own computer other people think I am this magical IT guy and they ask stupid questions like what does gth5014 mean or stop hacking!

I don't want glory, or recognition. I just don't want to get yelled at by someone that cant even turn their computer on.

That is how people are, they must blame someone as it they never do anything wrong. I have only had to deal with a few of these things and it is mostly from older "know it all" folks or the in home script kiddy. It is one of the bad sides of working in IT. The only thing that will generate less of this is to get a job with less interaction with the public like server or to learn the art of being tactful. Don't let this over run you having a good day....that shit can send you crazy and you don't want that.

Also, no one has to have IE as a default browser.....you working for some arm of the third reich and Z SS demands you use IE! :D

Are Kronos time keeping program only works with IE. Some of the other programs we use will only work with IE 7 or less. Had to put virtual windows an all the systems just to be able to run them. I work for a chicken plant, hens the chicken for my pic.

every day with my family. xD

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen