What do people in your family/your relatives think about videogames?

ManOfDisguise

Do they find videogames good or bad or do they not care ? Just interested

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

They like that I make money from it, as long as I dont just spend all my time gaming and recording

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

They hate videogames and think I'm gonna catch epilepsy because I play them

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

Don't care. 

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

my parents don't mind them, but my nana doesn't really like them, it depends on the game of course though. My mum loved the finding of ethan carter, but I'm sure she would hate CSGO

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

When I lived with my family, they basically acted like video games were toys meant for children. Even fairly recently, they laughed aloud when I told them I wanted a Black Mesa hoodie for Christmas. They have little to no exposure to games beyond Angry Birds, and frankly I'd prefer it stayed that way.

Really cool. Some like it more than others (really, only my grandparents don't game)

They like the study that I do too (game dev)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Most of my family thinks they are cool, they just don't play them. My parents are really interested in their stories, but don't play the games most of the time though.

i7-4770k @3.5GHz | 2 EVGA gtx 780 SC ACX in SLI | AsRock Xtreme4 z87 | Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 | Corsiar HX-850 | NZXT Phantom 410 |                                                                                                                                                   CoolerMaster Siedon 120XL AIO Water Cooler | X-Star 1440p 27"

My family thinks games are awesome and they love to here about new games.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

My parents don't really mind it, but my aunt on the other hand nags me even if I'm just web browsing! :mellow:  :P  

PC Specs   - Black and White Build

Intel Core i5 4690k MSI Z97S Krait LGA 1150

Crucial Ballistix Sport 1x8GB 1600MHZ

Sapphire Radeon R9 270 (Will be upgrading this soon)

EVGA 500W PSU

Phanteks Enthoo Pro - White

everytime my mom sees me in front of my computer she thinks im gaming and nags me a lot

parents think its why i wear glasses and why im single. when ever since i was like 5 i couldnt see worth a crap i just didnt know it because i was used to it. and im single because aint nobody got time for that. i have games with achievements to get

Girls = Exp waste

jking...

They are pretty pissed that i play so much, rightfully so, as for video games themselves they seem to not mind but also not take interest.

My Brother doesn't play games anymore because.....

"They are all the Same"

Pre-history - He's had a PC for over 10 years, like me, and played a lot back in the day (The COD2/4/5, BF2+Expanstions, RD:GRID1 era

Now he would rather watch games being played (Dat recent Southpark episode) including coming to my place to watch me play... I WANT him to join me...but...

"They are all the Same"

Guns/Cars/The assets used YES, but the delivery of a storyline, the randomness of multiplayer match's in various games.... To say their all the same is pure BS, He's just too much of a workaholic to admit he CBF'd playing games no more.

Meanwhile - My Mums been playing WOT a lot recently (started end of DEC) and has made good progress, enough to school my brother in a thing or two! Her hand>eye co-ordination isn't the best, but her PC is elite so that helps :)

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Most of my family plays games in some way. A good portion of my cousins have been playing PC and console games since the 90s. My brother and my brother in-laws have been playing console games for the same amount of time. 2 of my sisters play games quite frequently, though once again, on consoles. Even my mom enjoys sitting and playing some Facebook games. I know some people don't consider those to be games, but hey... Bubble Safari and such are a start. Though she's pretty old-school as well, she can destroy most contenders (including myself) at competitive Atari 2600 games.  :P

My second oldest sister has 4 kids. You wouldn't believe how many Xboxes, Playstations, Nintendo systems (both portable and otherwise), tablets, phones, and laptops are in that house... and almost every one of them has been used to play a game of some type.

As for their opinion of my hobby... if they aren't interested in what I've been playing to some degree, they just don't care.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

My Dad being in the Indian military really loves to play games like wargame Red Dragon and C&C my mom keeps on nagging but my dad he is the one that wants me to get a gaming Pc made for gaming.I think i am really lucky :P:D

My mum don't care, she plays games herself. Final Fantasy was played a lot by her among other games in the past.

My grandmother doesn't understand the appeal, but understands the hobby. My mother doesn't get it at all and gives me grief all the time. My dad, however, loves some of the classics. I have md emu and penguin land loaded on his phone and he can't get enough of it.

No one in my whole family games on the level I do (emulation with dropbox syncing, pc gaming, console gaming, mobile gaming lol). Kinda makes me feel like an oddball.

- Alston

Used to be skeptical but I have used logic and facts to bring them around.

Now they understand that it's an artform, and they understand that they lack the knowledge/appreciation to judge it.

My dad (who has passed away) had a shirt that said "my computer can beat your computer" in the 80's and was a carpenter who loved video games. He loved Doom, Quake, Diablo and Duke Nukem. My mom never touched one and nagged him about the violent games and he pretty much laughed in her face (you could do that back then as a man). My sister played the Kings Quest games growing up and I just built her a mini itx with a GTX 970. She is pumped they are making a new Kings Quest. My other sister could have cared less about video games. She was watching Saved By the Bell and listening to boy bands with her friends growing up.

If my dad was alive today he would probably be pwning noobs in World of Warcraft. 

The shirt. "PC Master Race in the 80's with Magnum PI moustache" lol. The little girl who is my younger sister has the mini itx with a GTX 970. She was prob playing Kings Quest 4 about this time.

QhZoqE6.jpg?1

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I've been playing video games since I was a young child, and now I'm almost 30.

It's just a generational thing, and they don't get it...

My mom doesn't understand the appeal, but the rest of my family games so it all works out.