FX 8350 Opinions?

I am thinking of buying this processor with this motherboard:

FX 8350
990fx sabertooth r2.0 motherboard ( it was either that or the crosshair v formula-z, went with sabertooth since its 50e cheaper)

What are your thoughts on the FX8350?
Will it be sufficient enough to last 5 years? And im not talking about mega giga ultra top top top graphics but at least to keep it decent in the future.
Will it run games that come out now on high or ultra @60 fps?
Does it overheat if you put a Cooler Master hyper 212 evo cooler on it and is it noisy?
Will it perform good on this motherboard? ( Not thinking about overclocking it just yet, but in the future maybe.)

NOTE:
I am not looking for the best processor out there ( yes i am looking at you i7s) i am just looking for a decent mid - highish end CPU that will be able to run games in the above mentioned format.
I was about to buy an i5 but they are 60e more in my coutry (Serbia) so i figgured the 10-15% more performance is not enough for almost 35% price increase.
Will be running that with a MSI R9 280x Gaming 3gb.

Alright, so firstly will it last five years, hard to say.  Will it work in five years? Yes.  What will the performance be? I'm not sure, I cannot predict the future, but as programs begin to utilize more cores, it may actually stay quite consistent.  But who knows.

CM 212 is just fine to cool it.

Motherboard is very high end, it will be able to be overclocked nicely.

Honestly, if the Intel parts are that expensive in Serbia, I see no reason to not get the 8350.

1. Cores are incredibly weak, relatively bad for gaming compared to other options.

2. Highly doubt it.

3. Some yes, others no.

4. 212 Evo is fine.

5. Yes

If you are gaming go with the i5-4690k, and if you can't afford it, go with a locked i5 like i5-4460.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I am thinking of buying this processor with this motherboard:

FX 8350

990fx sabertooth r2.0 motherboard ( it was either that or the crosshair v formula-z, went with sabertooth since its 50e cheaper)

What are your thoughts on the FX8350?

Will it be sufficient enough to last 5 years? And im not talking about mega giga ultra top top top graphics but at least to keep it decent in the future.

Will it run games that come out now on high or ultra @60 fps?

Does it overheat if you put a Cooler Master hyper 212 evo cooler on it and is it noisy?

Will it perform good on this motherboard? ( Not thinking about overclocking it just yet, but in the future maybe.)

NOTE:

I am not looking for the best processor out there ( yes i am looking at you i7s) i am just looking for a decent mid - highish end CPU that will be able to run games in the above mentioned format.

I was about to buy an i5 but they are 60e more in my coutry (Serbia) so i figgured the 10-15% more performance is not enough for almost 35% price increase.

Will be running that with a MSI R9 280x Gaming 3gb.

As for gaming I prefer an i5 atleast you chose a good motherboard to go with the 8350 so that's good to start with.

The 8350 won't be as future proof as an i5 since a 8350 is already a couple of years old and the technology is even older but it will still perform good in most games but I'd rather spend a couple bucks more to have good performance that lasts a few years longer.

These are my 2 cents also the Hyper 212 is a good cooler and will work perfect.

So please go for the i5 and don't make the same mistake I made a few years ago.

NONONONONONONO!!!!!

Intel i5 4460 (or xeon 1231(or 1230) v3 w/ H97, B85 or H81 mobo = much better gaming experience.

PS Please don't make the same mistake as me and buy AMD...for the love of...well the games you play i suppose.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

1. Cores are incredibly weak, relatively bad for gaming compared to other options.

2. Highly doubt it.

3. Some yes, others no.

4. 212 Evo is fine.

5. Yes

If you are gaming go with the i5-4690k, and if you can't afford it, go with a locked i5 like i5-4460.

Can confirm 

The FX-8350 will bottleneck the R9 280X, or essentially any GPU above the GTX 760 or R9 285. I don't recommend it.

It probably won't last much longer. People may say DX12 will help, but I don't think it'll be that widely adopted that quickly. If anything it may become DX11's replacement in 3-4 years if developers like it, but I'm not speaking as if I know for a fact.

It may, but games will also run into terrible lows, which helps make or break the gaming experience. Averages are OK but the lows are terrible.

The 212 EVO would be fine and give you room for a small overclock.

It will perform fine but honestly I'd recommend an Intel chip with a cheaper motherboard.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

You should be okay, but buying an 8350 leaves virtually no room for upgradability, which means you have to buy a new mobo and cpu when you innevitably make the switch in the future

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

The FX-8350 will bottleneck the R9 280X, or essentially any GPU above the GTX 760 or R9 285. I don't recommend it.

It probably won't last much longer. People may say DX12 will help, but I don't think it'll be that widely adopted that quickly. If anything it may become DX11's replacement in 3-4 years if developers like it, but I'm not speaking as if I know for a fact.

It may, but games will also run into terrible lows, which helps make or break the gaming experience. Averages are OK but the lows are terrible.

The 212 EVO would be fine and give you room for a small overclock.

It will perform fine but honestly I'd recommend an Intel chip with a cheaper motherboard.

Finally someone that agrees with me and knows which cards bottleneck I just replied to another thread all the people say that a 280x won't bottleneck an amd x4 what a joke.

As the others mentionned don't do the same mistake as many other users have done including me, buy an intel i5 instead it's much better and won't cost you more as you can go with a much cheaper board on intel side.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Finally someone that agrees with me and knows which cards bottleneck I just replied to another thread all the people say that a 280x won't bottleneck an amd x4 what a joke.

Yea I thought the 860k was much stronger than it was with that overclock, was proved wrong when I looked up the Cinebench scores lmao.

Fuck man why do AMD CPU's suck so much right now :\

RIP in pepperonis m8s

buying an 8350 for any purpose at this point in time is a waste of money (at least where I live, they're 200 bucks). get an e3 xeon quad core w/ hyper-threading and a decent motherboard and get double the performance without needing an aftermarket cooler.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

O.o You guys are speaking as if the 8350 won't even be able to get 60 fps on battlefield 3 ultra?!
My friend told me that the 8350 is an awesome processor for that price range and that the 60e more is not worth the i5 4690k.

If you can't go with i5 then go with atleast i3( haswell), FX is a terrible crap.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

O.o You guys are speaking as if the 8350 won't even be able to get 60 fps on battlefield 3 ultra?!

My friend told me that the 8350 is an awesome processor for that price range and that the 60e more is not worth the i5 4690k.

U fokn w0t m8?:D But seriosly just go with intel.

CPU-delided i5-4670k@4.6Ghz 1.42v R.I.P (2013-2015) MOBO-Asus Maximus VI Gene GPU-Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming@1582Mhz core/3744Mhz memory COOLING-Corsair H60 RAM-1x8Gb Crucial ballistix tactical tracer@2133Mhz 11-12-12-26  DRIVES-Kingston V300 60Gb, OCZ trion 100 120Gb, WD Red 1Tb
2nd  fastest i5 4670k in GPUPI for CPU - 100M

Yea I thought the 860k was much stronger than it was with that overclock, was proved wrong when I looked up the Cinebench scores lmao.

Fuck man why do AMD CPU's suck so much right now :\

They only were good in the Pentium 4 age so between 2000 till about 2006

Your friend has made a bad choice, you don't have to do the same.

battlefield does run fine with the FX CPU's but many other games won't...and you don't have to go with an unlocked i5 you could go with an i5-4460 and an H97 motherboard...use the stock CPU heatsink and this kit will in fact be cheaper than the old FX.

LOOK:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor (£130.94 @ Aria PC)

Motherboard: MSI H97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£63.16 @ CCL Computers)

Total: £194.10

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-06 18:28 GMT+0000

VS

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor (£125.00 @ Aria PC)

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£127.99 @ Amazon UK)

Total: £252.99

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-06 18:29 GMT+0000

This is the intel kit that can overclock and do SLI/CFX...cost 9$ more than the FX and board you are looking at and it's well worth it:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£173.94 @ Aria PC)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£89.99 @ Novatech)

Total: £263.93

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-06 18:32 GMT+0000

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Why does the comparison have to be Fx-8350 vs i5-4690k? I don't know prices in Europe, but in the US for $40 less you can get the i5-4590 instead of the i5-4690k, for $30 less you can get an H97 board instead of Z97, and then you save $30 by going with the stock heatsink instead of a Hyper 212 EVO. The platform cost of an i5 system doesn't have to be that expensive, and it's powerful as hell. Just because you can overclock an Fx-8350 doesn't mean it's going to beat (even compete with?) with a locked i5.

Why does the comparison have to be Fx-8350 vs i5-4690k? I don't know prices in Europe, but in the US for $40 less you can get the i5-4590 instead of the i5-4690k, for $30 less you can get an H97 board instead of Z97, and then you save $30 by going with the stock heatsink instead of a Hyper 212 EVO. The platform cost of an i5 system doesn't have to be that expensive, and it's powerful as hell. Just because you can overclock an Fx-8350 doesn't mean it's going to beat (even compete with?) with a locked i5.

exactly, a core i3 plays most games better than an overclocked FX...a core i5-4460 or i5-4590 is completely out of reach even with the FX on a crazy overclock that will run hot and suck up a ton of power...where the intel outperform while being much more energy efficient, the choice is easy.

The only time that the 8350 is a good buy, in my opinion, is you already have the motherboard. If you have an FX 4 or 6, then the 8350 is a nice upgrade (actually did that myself), but otherwise, get a locked i5.

The only time that the 8350 is a good buy, in my opinion, is you already have the motherboard. If you have an FX 4 or 6, then the 8350 is a nice upgrade (actually did that myself), but otherwise, get a locked i5.

or for a budget workstation or a home server for example it could be a good option, not for a gaming rig with the prices right now.

exactly, a core i3 plays most games better than an overclocked FX...a core i5-4460 or i5-4590 is completely out of reach even with the FX on a crazy overclock that will run hot and suck up a ton of power...where the intel outperform while being much more energy efficient, the choice is easy.

And just wait for desktop broadwell or skylake... these 8350 discussions will be even more lopsided  :lol:

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

And just wait for desktop broadwell or skylake... these 8350 discussions will be even more lopsided  :lol:

AMD FX should have been replaced or just removed from the market long ago i'm sincerely tired of having them being brought up again and again instead of just which intel CPU should i get for gaming...those FX are old and inneficient, they are slow when it comes to gaming and they should cost 100$ and at that price they should come with a free motherboard and a couple games.

You've asked a question that every LTT member has an opinion about.  prepare for ten pages of replies!

my opinion is yes, the 8350 will work fine for 5 years, but the intel chips are better.  If price is your biggest thing, figure out your CPU budget and look at all CPUs that can fall into your price range.  from there, look at comparison reviews to see which is best.  This forum will give you a lot of opinion, and not a lot of test results.

I just upgraded from an 8320 to i5 4690k.  I noticed the 8320 would occasionally stutter in certain situations, and the 4690k does not.  other than that, performance in all of my games has been about the same.  no noticeable difference.  I'm sure if I did benchmarks on every one I'd see a 10% improvement, but in practice you can't notice the difference between 45 fps and 50 fps.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build